yxxyun

ripple-client-desktop now is Ripple Admin Console

Very cool! So by forming the transaction offline, would this help with security of your key?

You can use Ripple without ever exposing your secret key to an online machine. Pretty cool but a bit time-consuming.

Yeah, there's lots of work being done on the desktop client right now. Part of that is because it supports the enterprise products (Connect, Stream) -- but in keeping with our open values, we're still giving away the source for the desktop client. I have a few pet features I'm pushing for (URI and QR code stuff) although we'll see whether or not that happens.

Regarding the lack of support for Federation Protocol - I don't think Ripple, Inc. sees much future for the Federation Protocol in general. That's a totally unofficial thought, mind you -- but I don't think you should get your hopes up for it. To some extent, the Payment Services Protocol I've alluded to before is an outright replacement for it.

49 minutes ago, yxxyun said:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/yxxyun/ripple-client-desktop-adxr2/build/artifacts

https://github.com/yxxyun/ripple-client-desktop/releases

win32 version ripple-client-desktop, it is a old version which support federation.

I use appveyor to build it directly from the github source code, so it can be trusted.

Nice, I will give it a try.

5 minutes ago, RafOlP said:

Nice, I will give it a try.

would be cool if you could build the federation support in your up-to-date version ..

I asked btc2ripple support recently if they would still support withdrawal from BTC via the federation protocol and that was a positive.. Would they ever stop they will let us know in advance.

Edited by jn_r

21 hours ago, jn_r said:

would be cool if you could build the federation support in your up-to-date version ..

I asked btc2ripple support recently if they would still support withdrawal from BTC via the federation protocol and that was a positive.. Would they ever stop they will let us know in advance.

Well, I wouldn't say our version is up-to-date, its newer and has newer versions of dependencies, but as I said, we are building other things and can dedicate little amounts of time to it. We just made it available because of the lack of a desktop wallet that can keep keys totally private.

Nevertheless, we would be happy to look at push requests and merge them or pull good code from other repos that develop a similar application into ours. I see this client as a community project.

@yxxyun, it works pretty well. The only thing I miss badly are autobridged orderbooks. Another point: would it be too hard to implement federation in the new version, like @jn_r suggested?

On 15/05/2016 at 8:24 AM, RafOlP said:

@yxxyun, it works pretty well. The only thing I miss badly are autobridged orderbooks. Another point: would it be too hard to implement federation in the new version, like @jn_r suggested?

If by "Federation" you mean add names to our account like we could in rippletrade, I'd like to know if there's any news on this? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Malloy said:

If by "Federation" you mean add names to our account like we could in rippletrade, I'd like to know if there's any news on this? Thanks.

Federation is described here. It is a protocol where both the sender and receiver must have implemented their part to perform some sort of negotiation.

In short, a client sends some transaction request to <name>@<gateway_domain>. The <gateway> (receiver) determines to which ripple address how much will have to be sent to forfill the request. It returns the relevant data to the client and the client then sends the amount to the requested ripple-address as described in the returned data. Upon receipt the gateway then performs the final transaction.

The btc2ripple bridge was implemented this way. If you sent BTC to <Bitcoin-address>@btc2ripple.com the client would send BTC-IOU to btc2ripple gateway (using destination tag so the gateway knows what action to perform) and the gateway would then send the BTC over the Bitcoin network.

Unfortunately btc2ripple is no longer to be used and AFAIK it was the only gateway to have implemented the protocol at gateway side.

You could imagine it to be used such that you can send euro's to <SEPA-Account>@gatehub.net. That would be really cool, but not sure if that would fit the KYC/AML requirements. Maybe a send to <ethereum-adress>@gatehub.net would be allowed, or probably a send to <gatehub-username>@gatehub.net, but then again, it's a bit of a hassle and both the client and the gateway need to have their part implemented. 

Edited by jn_r

2 hours ago, Malloy said:

Thanks @jn_r

Do you know how to get a username like in this example https://bithomp.com/explorer/rMwjYedjc7qqtKYVLiAccJSmCwih4LnE2q

INFORMATION
rN24vaFqCJ4vAubZrJAVM99wva7cdreeFz
Username: ~btc2ripple

AFAIK it is no longer possible to get a username like that. It is a remnant from when RippleTrade was still running. Out of courtesy Ripplelabs has left the authserver and blobvault running, which basically provide those names, but I can vaguely recall that they disabled the possiblity to create new usernames.

For reference, see https://wiki.ripple.com/Blobvault and https://github.com/ripple/ripple-authd