Error when adding message (Flare) via XRPToolkit - but xrpscan looks OK - anyone else?

After hitting "update" for the message field using xrptoolkit I got a few popup errors - simple messages something like "failed to send" - I am using Firefox.  I shut it down then went to xrpscan to look up my address.  I see the Flare message (modified ETH) and also the Flare Account under it.   Should I be OK?

Also I had to re-paste the modified ETH address I got an "invalid size" message the first time.  I am guessing I pasted an extra space or something.

Just sharing the experience and wondering if others had the same or similar.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best way to check if you are ok is directly on the ledger requesting info about your account and checking the message key. The very best would be querying the ledger from a node/server you trust,

That is MOST critical.  You must have the secret key for that address or you will not be able to ever access the Spark. Its the same key as the Etherium one.  Same address format, same address, s

This can happen for a number of reasons. After your XRP Toolkit instance has submitted a signed transaction, it will try to fetch the result from the XRP Ledger. While the TX is queued or processed by

@xrptoolkit there have been a number of users who have said they get an error but when checking via an explorer the address IS set in messagekey.

Is it possible that the address set has trailing or leading spaces?  A copy-paste error?

Do you do a trim on the string before setting?

I am now starting to wonder if it’s possible that there are extraneous spaces and that would potentially be an issue when the smart contract operates unless it uses an input trim.  

Could be a total red herring,   but just thought you were the best person to ask.  Thanks for any light you can shed.

Hi OP here.  I waited a few days and checked a couple ledger viewers and see the modified eth address in the message and I see a Flare Address noted also.  Think I'm good and thank you all for the input.

What is the secret key for my Flare address?  I assume I can't do anything with it until the network launched but I am just curious.

9 minutes ago, meegwell said:

What is the secret key for my Flare address?  I assume I can't do anything with it until the network launched but I am just curious.

That is MOST critical.  You must have the secret key for that address or you will not be able to ever access the Spark.

Its the same key as the Etherium one.  Same address format, same address, same private key.  If you used MEW wallet then it’s the 24 word phrase and you can rebuild the key into any future Flare wallet by using that phrase.

1 hour ago, BillyOckham said:

@xrptoolkit there have been a number of users who have said they get an error but when checking via an explorer the address IS set in messagekey

This can happen for a number of reasons. After your XRP Toolkit instance has submitted a signed transaction, it will try to fetch the result from the XRP Ledger. While the TX is queued or processed by the XRP Ledger your internet connection may be unstable, xrpl.ws may be temporarily overloaded or XRP Toolkit may have tried fetching your TX a few times that all failed.

It's recommended to double-check the status and outcome of your submitted transactions with a third-party transaction explorer. 

1 hour ago, BillyOckham said:

That is MOST critical.  You must have the secret key for that address or you will not be able to ever access the Spark.

Its the same key as the Etherium one.  Same address format, same address, same private key.  If you used MEW wallet then it’s the 24 word phrase and you can rebuild the key into any future Flare wallet by using that phrase.

Thanks.  I used a Nano X so Im all good I will note this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 4:45 PM, xrptoolkit said:

You need to connect a wallet authorized to sign for your address. 

i have a ledger blue, it seems to be connected to xrptoolkit, (showing my balance) and my device is connected and ledger live is on. Am i missing something? i also have the flare spark address in the message key and is shows a green check mark next to it.