A possible good reason to why ripple holding a large supply is a good thing.

Recent news out of the Netherlands requiring clients to state the reason for purchasing bitcoin.

https://news.bitcoin.com/occs-brian-brooks-says-china-owns-bitcoin-but-crypto-world-disagrees-chinese-crackdown-pushes-miners-away/

As of now digital assets lack regulatory clarity. This is issue not just for United States, but also the rest of the world. Since Ripples end goal is to utilize xrp as an international tool for the transfer of money the fact it holds so much xrp it could allow for distribution to be done fairly and legally across the globe without the hindrance of single nation controlling the majority of the token like China has done with bitcoin. In turn by allowing either individual nations or international financial regulators to have a say in how the xrp will be distributed could bring comfort to those organizations which will allow for acceptance. 

Awaiting FUD flood.

46 minutes ago, peanut56 said:

Recent news out of the Netherlands requiring clients to state the reason for purchasing bitcoin.

https://news.bitcoin.com/occs-brian-brooks-says-china-owns-bitcoin-but-crypto-world-disagrees-chinese-crackdown-pushes-miners-away/

As of now digital assets lack regulatory clarity. This is issue not just for United States, but also the rest of the world. Since Ripples end goal is to utilize xrp as an international tool for the transfer of money the fact it holds so much xrp it could allow for distribution to be done fairly and legally across the globe without the hindrance of single nation controlling the majority of the token like China has done with bitcoin. In turn by allowing either individual nations or international financial regulators to have a say in how the xrp will be distributed could bring comfort to those organizations which will allow for acceptance. 

Awaiting FUD flood.

I have always regarded this reserve supply as a very important and useful asset for the ramping up and rolling out of liquidity centres for ODL.  I am not sure that so much of it should be owned by Ripple labs, that owneship is a problem.

8 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

I have always regarded this reserve supply as a very important and useful asset for the ramping up and rolling out of liquidity centres for ODL.  I am not sure that so much of it should be owned by Ripple labs, that owneship is a problem.

Ripple's ownership is just a thing that is. All other comments painting either bad or good are opinions about the existence of the thing. Bearing witness to the fact that Ripple has a lot of XRP.

Personally I think it is very good that Ripple has so much XRP because their strategic leadership has preformed like a rudder, in the turbulent formation period of the crypto industry. I'll call it "Ruddership" just for fun, and behind that ruder is a Navigator determining the desired direction.

In time we will see, and I'm not surprised that we have seen Ripple come out with an XRP LoC. This will become a Marquis revenue source for Ripple, and a key talking point on their investor relations calls after they go public.

I was originally perturbed by the idea of Ripple being a bank, or lender even though I wrote about it in How xPool, because the ultimate end game would play out in a way that Ripple ends up preforming functions similar to a Central Bank of the XRP ecosystem. 

However now that I'm getting a sense for the direction that some of the regulatory frameworks are going, I'm actually viewing this as a very good outcome.

Because, due to Ripple's "Ruddership" acting as a counterweight to the tragedy of the commons, which has neither an effective Navigator nor a rudder to avoid sailing into troubled waters.

It also occured to me that BTC & ETH may have swallowed a poison pill when cheering regulatory clarity while being deemed a Commodity. This may in time turn out to be a curse, due to the per transaction taxation laws, capital gains/losses complicating the functional capabilities of those deemed digital commodities from preforming like a digital currency.

Edited by KarmaCoverage
56 minutes ago, KarmaCoverage said:

Ripple's ownership is just a thing that is. All other comments painting either bad or good are opinions about the existence of the thing. Bearing witness to the fact that Ripple has a lot of XRP.

Personally I think it is very good that Ripple has so much XRP because their strategic leadership has preformed like a rudder, in the turbulent formation period of the crypto industry. I'll call it "Ruddership" just for fun, and behind that rider is a Navigator determining the desired direction.

In time we will see, and I'm not surprised that we have seen Ripple come out with an XRP LoC. This will become a Marquis revenue source for Ripple, and a key talking point on their investor relations calls after they go public.

I was originally perturbed by the idea of Ripple being a bank, or lender even though I wrote about it in How xPool, because the ultimate end game would play out in a way that Ripple ends up preforming functions similar to a Central Bank of the XRP ecosystem. 

However now that I'm getting a sense for the direction that some of the regulatory frameworks are going, I'm actually viewing this as a very good outcome.

Because, due to Ripple's "Ruddership" acting as a counterweight to the tragedy of the commons, which has neither an effective Navigator nor a rudder to avoid sailing into troubled waters.

It also occured to me that BTC & ETH may have swallowed a poison pill when cheering regulatory clarity while being deemed a Commodity. This may in time turn out to be a curse, due to the per transaction taxation laws, capital gains/losses complicating the functional capabilities of those deemed digital commodities from preforming like a digital currency.

your understanding is so far ahead of my conceptual abilities that I am out of my depth.  I would like to understand the poison pill allegory.   ETH and BTC are a commodity - so that means they can't be cash at the same time?  That would be a curse indeed. Am I reading you right?

@KarmaCoverage At present I do not have a personal problem with Ripple managing the release of XRP for the benefit and financing of the XRP ecosystem (they have done a good job).  I think as XRP become adopted as a quasi world bridging asset the rest of the World would have a problem with Ripple managing the roll out of XRP.  There is a clear a conflict of interest between benefit to Ripples own balance sheet and the benefit to the XRP ecosystem.  The two are aligned now, but will not be aligned for ever. 

49 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

ETH and BTC are a commodity - so that means they can't be cash at the same time?  That would be a curse indeed. Am I reading you right?

Yes

---

Re "Currency"

I'd have to double check, but I think you have to be classified as a Currency Dealer, before the capital gain/loss per transaction issue becomes relevant to any country's IRS. 

End user "Currency" transactions are free from the capital g/l accounting & tax burden, because the FX Dealers (aka MMs) are wholesale footing the tax bill.

It's the same principle described via de minimis rules

Edited by KarmaCoverage

I see an amazing philanthropic opportunity for Ripple's utilization of the escrow, and based on their past efforts, I think that this would make for a spectacular business plan. If they were to balance the company's ongoing needs with regular generous philanthropic disbursements, the governments of the world would have to take notice and would have little to complain about. Approximately 50 billion of an asset could do wonders for this world, if it were to appreciate into double or even triple digits. For example, that 50 billion could erase all current U.S. student debt at $30 per xrp. However, I believe that if they were to embark on this path, that they would surely take a world view on what benefit they could enable. I love that Ripple has demonstrated such a high degree of philanthropy along the way and hope that as xrp's value gains momentum, so do these efforts.

6 hours ago, WuWei said:

I see an amazing philanthropic opportunity for Ripple's utilization of the escrow, and based on their past efforts, I think that this would make for a spectacular business plan. If they were to balance the company's ongoing needs with regular generous philanthropic disbursements, the governments of the world would have to take notice and would have little to complain about. Approximately 50 billion of an asset could do wonders for this world, if it were to appreciate into double or even triple digits. For example, that 50 billion could erase all current U.S. student debt at $30 per xrp. However, I believe that if they were to embark on this path, that they would surely take a world view on what benefit they could enable. I love that Ripple has demonstrated such a high degree of philanthropy along the way and hope that as xrp's value gains momentum, so do these efforts.

For that to work Ripple would need to put a proportion of the proceeds from selling XRP into a managed fund with a committee to decide the good causes.  This might conflict with the need to retain XRP  to be used as oil for the growth of the ecosystem