Is claiming Flare Token/Spark via GateHub a good choice?!

joe91

3 hours ago, Braulio said:

I sent some Xrp to gatehub for the reason of claiming flare.  I need to send my other balances soon as I don’t know how (and don’t want to spend the time) to set up the flare airdrop with my ledger.  Hope it works out for all doing this.  My account is long-standing with gatehub.  

I use a Ledger Nano and I finally got around to doing this today. It literally took 5 minutes following the directions here https://flare.wietse.com

Ain't no way I'm trusting Gatehub for even this.

The thing that bothers me is my unfamiliarity with ETH.  If I use the MEW wallet and have the 24 word recovery phrase is that going to be deterministic to create the seed for using a Flare address down the track.

So in other words is that a seed phrase that I will be able to import into a Flare wallet (when they exist) and have proper control over that Flare address?

I realise that is the assumption that everyone is working on but is there someone with the Etherium or cryptographer skill set to say for certain that the 24 MEW Wallet recovery phrase WILL allow creating of the Flare private key?

(I think it will because the Flare network has cloned the Ether core,  but I am not familiar enough with Etherium to be certain)

I am certain of how to set up the XRP account, and what Flare have said about their airdrop,  but the Ether side is unfamiliar to me and I want some certainty about the keys.

What needs to be done to claim Flare tokens in GateHub?

I looked at the instructions in GateHub FAQ. It says -

Hosted wallets - We are planning to make the process of claiming and distribution of Spark automatic for all Hosted wallets

XRPL wallets - You will need to set up each of your XRPL wallets for claiming Spark individually. Your Flare (claim/deposit) address will be generated automatically for you and you will then be able to claim Spark to your wallet after the snapshot date.

I saw instructions at "https://flare.ghost.io/claiming-spark-faq/" that says to add a ETH compatible address in the MessageKey field on XRP account.

With reference to GateHub XRPL account, what is the setup needed? Where is the MessageKey located to add the ETH compatible address? Do we have to create/get a ETH address?

On 11/20/2020 at 3:45 AM, sdokc said:

What needs to be done to claim Flare tokens in GateHub?

I looked at the instructions in GateHub FAQ. It says -

Hosted wallets - We are planning to make the process of claiming and distribution of Spark automatic for all Hosted wallets

XRPL wallets - You will need to set up each of your XRPL wallets for claiming Spark individually. Your Flare (claim/deposit) address will be generated automatically for you and you will then be able to claim Spark to your wallet after the snapshot date.

I saw instructions at "https://flare.ghost.io/claiming-spark-faq/" that says to add a ETH compatible address in the MessageKey field on XRP account.

With reference to GateHub XRPL account, what is the setup needed? Where is the MessageKey located to add the ETH compatible address? Do we have to create/get a ETH address?

Can anyone shed any light on the above - did you ever work out how to do this? 

On 11/25/2020 at 7:44 AM, Shacks said:

Can anyone shed any light on the above - did you ever work out how to do this? 

If you use the hosted wallet, flare claiming is automatic it says.  I transferred some Xrp to it.  My only concern is will there be a hack?  It now seems the flare is distributed over a few years so, my Xrp will have to sit in their hosted wallet I guess.  That makes me uncomfortable but I’ll let it sit I guess.  I also did the wietse thing using Xrp toolkit for my nano holdings, but I’ve some misgivings about that as well.  I’m into Xrp for years but I’m no techie I’m afraid so this whole process is uncomfortable.

22 minutes ago, Braulio said:

If you use the hosted wallet, flare claiming is automatic it says.  I transferred some Xrp to it.  My only concern is will there be a hack?  It now seems the flare is distributed over a few years so, my Xrp will have to sit in their hosted wallet I guess.  That makes me uncomfortable but I’ll let it sit I guess.  I also did the wietse thing using Xrp toolkit for my nano holdings, but I’ve some misgivings about that as well.  I’m into Xrp for years but I’m no techie I’m afraid so this whole process is uncomfortable.

Are you certain about that ? 
( that your XRP must remain in the hosted wallet after the exchange has recorded a snapshot ) 

I would not expect that to be a policy by any exchange.

5 minutes ago, JASCoder said:

Are you certain about that ? 
( that your XRP must remain in the hosted wallet after the exchange has recorded a snapshot ) 

I would not expect that to be a policy by any exchange.

No, I’m not certain.  I guess it’s more of a question.  We all just found out about the time frame for flare token distribution so who knows.  The distribution over time makes sense but, I’ve to figure out what it means for the airdrop 

3 minutes ago, Braulio said:

No, I’m not certain.  I guess it’s more of a question.  We all just found out about the time frame for flare token distribution so who knows.  The distribution over time makes sense but, I’ve to figure out what it means for the airdrop 

I recently read the details posted by Binance, and they went into a little detail about this aspect, and basically they are disabling deposits and withdrawals for a few hours at the Flare 12DEC 00:00 UTC event, then will capture a balances record of all accounts, and that will be the reference used for all future "payouts" of reveived tokens from the distributions to follow.

It would make zero sense for any exchange to require an account holder to leave their assets locked up for years.

Remember the golden rule: Never assume, always verify !
:)  

Does anybody know how to validate if you xrp is on the xrp toolkit website? I did the process from my ledger nano S and everything was working until the last step where i had to accept from my ledger, I got validation error message on my computer but my xrp amount still showed up on the toolkit website. Does that mean it went through? I tried to enter the message key on there again but it didn't let me. Anybody experienced this before or have any idea?

Thanks