How to claim Flare Tokens for dummies?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most annoying part of this is having the secret key of ETH-style account. The options I see are: Use some ETH wallet which supports showing the secret key directly. Like MEW. Then store

For the benefit of all the new girls and guys reading this thread... If you do get a "hardware wallet" like a Ledger, your XRP tokens are not actually "stored on it." You could throw it into

If you download Bithomp Tools to a usb stick, extract it on to your laptop and open the html file in your laptops browser, you’ll be able to generate an XRP key-pair and do the account set transaction

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, tar said:

Aloha,

assume, I've never used a private wallet, got all my stash on Kraken and want to claim Flare Tokens.

What in gods name is a safe step by step procedure to claim the Flare Tokens without risking access to my XRP Tokens?

Thanks in advance.

Assuming you have a stash of XRP on Kraken, you will want to watch the space that Kraken consumes as the only way to claim Flare (using your example of Kraken) is if they (Kraken) support the Flair Drop.... from what I understand, they have yet to confirm.... email those bastards!

Edited by EcneitapLatnem
It's Flare... not Flair... dumbass!
6 hours ago, tar said:

What in gods name is a safe step by step procedure to claim the Flare Tokens without risking access to my XRP Tokens?

You are looking for a safe way. First move your xrp away from Kraken (never have anything on an exchange) to a ledger wallet. From the ledger you can do the trick for the snapshot without moving your xrp from your wallet. There are plenty of Youtube vid to show you how to do it.

OK so I'm a newbie to the world of crypto and "How to claim Flare Tokens for Dummies" seems the most appropriate place for me to post.

I have the Nano x wallet where I hold my XRP. I successfully set the Message key on the XRP Ledger by using the XRPtoolkit as described in the instructions that were very kindly provided.

One thing is bothering me... I used an ETH account that is also on my Nano x. I am finding quite confusing posts/blogs etc that indicate this is not compatible.

Can someone clear up this doubt for me as I find a lot of the jargon completing alien and confusing to me.

Many thanks in advance

3 hours ago, JBW said:

You are looking for a safe way. First move your xrp away from Kraken (never have anything on an exchange) to a ledger wallet. From the ledger you can do the trick for the snapshot without moving your xrp from your wallet. There are plenty of Youtube vid to show you how to do it.

For the benefit of all the new girls and guys reading this thread...

If you do get a "hardware wallet" like a Ledger, your XRP tokens are not actually "stored on it."

You could throw it into the ocean, and your XRP will still be accessible...  ONLY IF you have backed up the secret key of your actual XRPL account, where everyone's XRP tokens are tracked and recorded. Some devices like the Nano Ledger support recovering access to your XRP tokens by means of a series of words, which necessitate acquiring a new Ledger device to replace the lost one.

IF you have the XRPL secret key (a big harry password essentially), you don't need a Ledger device to access your tokens.

This is a complex topic, and part of the "barrier to entry" that has suppressed crypto from achieving broader popularity. 

With all things crypto these early days, ALWAYS know wtf you are doing, and have a disaster recovery plan (firebox, safe deposit box); also a custodial plan in case you get hit by a bus (assuming there is anyone you'd want to inherit your precious Zerps).

Cheers and happy crypto gambling :)

1 hour ago, JASCoder said:

If you do get a "hardware wallet" like a Ledger, your XRP tokens are not actually "stored on it."

Yes, very good thing to point out here.

The analogy that I use to explain it is that the XRP live, reside, and exist ONLY in the cloud.  You,  or anyone else, can access them from anywhere if you (or they) have the secret key. (Like a long password that ALWAYS starts with S)

A Nano or a software wallet like the XUMM app are only storing that secret key.  So JC is right...  the XRP are NOT in the wallet.  (They are ONLY EVER in the cloud)

The wallet is a tool for storing your key and creating transactions.  It also can read the cloud to see your balance and read the transaction history.

Sorry for off topic...  but it’s a good thing to know.

On 9/17/2020 at 5:24 PM, Haplessone said:

One thing is bothering me... I used an ETH account that is also on my Nano x. I am finding quite confusing posts/blogs etc that indicate this is not compatible.

Can someone clear up this doubt for me as I find a lot of the jargon completing alien and confusing to me.

You can use the existing ETH account on your Nano to claim Spark, however:

The Spark that you receive will not appear in the Ledger Live app or on any Ethereum blockchain explorer.

You'll need a "Flare compatible wallet" to actually see and use the spark when they are distributed.

If you choose to use an existing ETH address, then others will be able to see that the ETH address is related to the Flare address and the XRP address that you claimed from. Maybe this matters to you, maybe not, but there are potential privacy considerations there.

Also, once you've received the Spark, you will need to extract the private key/24 words from the Nano ETH wallet in order to use them on the Flare network, which defeats the purpose of using a hardware wallet (unless Ledger releases a Flare app for the Nano in the meantime).

In summary, it probably makes sense to use a newly generated ETH address to claim Spark to, but make your own decision based on your own situation.

For XRP Ledger wallets on Gatehub, how do we access the Message Key Field to input our Ethereum style wallet address to receive Spark? I have searched for this both on Gatehub and Google and couldn't find anything on this subject. Please help.

6 hours ago, Colossal said:

For XRP Ledger wallets on Gatehub, how do we access the Message Key Field to input our Ethereum style wallet address to receive Spark? I have searched for this both on Gatehub and Google and couldn't find anything on this subject. Please help.

Gatehub has announced they will be supporting the airdrop so you could wait for instructions from them. Otherwise in the gatehub wallet (I think in advanced) is a "view secret". It would be wise to back up your secret key to a paper wallet incase gatehub goes offline or you get locked out of your account. 

I got mail from Kraken:

Hi there,

We do not have a formal statement about this specific airdrop/fork, however, you can see our general statement on airdrops/forks here.

While we are always open to adding new digital assets and pairs to our exchange, we never announce in advance which ones will be listed. The best way to get up-to-the-minute details regarding assets listed on Kraken is to read our email newsletters and follow our Blog and Twitter feed.

Kraken makes no promises, guarantees, or warranties on the outcome of this or future airdrops/forks.

If you want to be 100% sure to receive an airdrop or forked coin, please withdraw the relevant cryptocurrency ahead of time to a private wallet that you control. Please note that Kraken is an exchange service and not a wallet service.

Best regards,

In short:

Flare tokens ("Spark") are not supported, yet and their support will not be announced beforehand by Kraken. You should create a private wallet, etc.

Therefore, can someone finally give a secure step by step procedure (no general statement or references):

1. How to create a secure private XRP wallet:

• What software is needed?
  • How do I generate a secure address (offline)?
  • How can I test a transfer from and to this address and assure that it is and stays safe (again: offline)?

2. How to claim Flare tokens ("Spark")

• What software is needed?

Thanks again in advance.