What would happen if Ripple turned off their validators for a week

I've heard estimates that Ripple runs 16% of the XRP validators. TBH I don't know exactly how the XRP node network is set up, but coming from some experience in AWS VPC, if the XRP network is configured for redundancy there are likely parallel slave nodes on standby that would spin up and take over duties as soon as they detected the master nodes went offline. There's many other ways to set up redundancy, but that's a popular way.

If you mean 'what if they shut down everything on purpose with no backups on standby', then I'd assume the remaining online validators would then account for 100% of the validators and still require 80% consensus among them.

Switching off their validators unannounced would make the ledger more vulnerable if a few more validators fail if they keep announcing their current recommended UNL.

If they don't announce further updated UNLs, the network would likely grind to a halt once the current recommended list runs out and people don't quickly reconfigure their validators.

What would happen if Ripple turned off their validators for a week

The XRPL would not use the 6 or so Ripple validators (since they would now be offline) and rely on the other 142 validators in the XRPL - source : https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/validators

18 hours ago, xerxesramesepolybius said:

and what would happen if they didn't provide a UNL?

Any node can add any other node in its list of validators it uses to validate - the UNL is merely a recommendation.

Edited by 2ndtimearound
1 hour ago, 2ndtimearound said:

The XRPL would not use the 6 or so Ripple validators (since they would now be offline) and rely on the other 142 validators in the XRPL - source : https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/validators

Any node can add any other node in its list of validators it uses to validate - the UNL is merely a recommendation.

Gee thanks.

Where is the best place to see the up-to-date UNL?

One of the things I recall Tiff complaining about was that there are validators and validators and the ones not on the UNL don't really matter.