RTGS Patent Application Information

Guys, 

Here is some more information on RTGS Global's patent pending application(s):

1.) It appears Andrew Smith, CTO of RTGS Global, filed the patent on September 2, 2019 in the U.K. Intellectual Property Office. 
2.) It is application number GB1912608.5
3.) The U.K. patent application is titled "A method and system for the secure transmission of funds"
4.) It appears that the RTGS patent was also filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization under application number PCT/IB2019/057390
5.) However, I cannot find the patent application under the WIPO IP Portal (as of today, September 6, 2020).

6.) In the United States, there are provisional and non-provisional patents available to inventors. A provisional patent is never examined by the USPTO, but the inventor has a quick filing date (more importantly, a quick priority date), they can delay long-term patent examination costs, and the inventor could still say they are "patent pending."
7.) In the U.K, there is no such thing as a provisional patent. However, the equivalent way to do (a provisional patent) in the U.K. is to file a normal patent application but not progress that application and then, within 12 months, to file a further application which claims priority from the earlier application. 
8.) My guess is that RTGS is moving forward with the full patent and is not just filing something to say that they are "patent pending." It has been over 12 months since the patent application was filed on September 2, 2019, and the status on the U.K's Intellectual Property Office website says "pending." However, it is always possible that a company claims they are patent pending, and technically they are correct, but the patent application eventually expires and the inventor loses their priority date. 
8.) Want to be clear here. I am not saying RTGS is doing just that, but that I have seen this happen in the past. "Patent pending" is great for marketing; great way to entice investors or customers as well. But it is just a patent application. A patent has not been awarded to RTGS yet. 

9.) In the UK, a pending patent application will be published with the search report not earlier than 18 months after the filing date of the initial UK application. So, if I am understanding this correctly, we will not be able to get a look at this patent or the text of this patent until March 2, 2021 (or later due to COVID-19 delays).
10.) If anyone wants to try to help me find the WIPO patent application, that would be great. But it also might not be available until March 2, 2021. 
11.) If the RTGS Global patent application infringes upon any existing patent, including one of Ripple Labs, Inc. patent applications that may later be issued, that patent holder or inventor could take legal action for patent infringement, which would likely include an injunction to prevent that product/service in the marketplace. 

I'll circle back to this in March 2021. Also, all of this does not mean that RTGS is or is not a threat to what Ripple is doing. Just trying to bring some more light to what they are doing here (and what legal protections they are trying to claim with everyone and every other company quickly jumping into this space). 

Sources:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ctoandy/
https://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-ipsum.htm
https://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-ipsum/Case/ApplicationNumber/GB1912608.5
https://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-pj-fullfile/pdf/6804/6804.pdf
https://ocpatentlawyer.com/file-provisional-nonprovisional-patent-application/
https://www.gov.uk/search-for-patent
https://rtgs.global/site/userfiles/File/downloads/RTGS-Terms-of-Use-V3_May_ 20.pdf
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/search.jsf
http://www.hindles.co.uk/the_uk_patent_application_procedure.html

@Snoopy @Pablo @WillGetThere @vlad_got_it @jcdenton @Mrsrippley @xrpisking

Untitleds.png

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

Wonderful work yet again @brjXRP17.

17 hours ago, brjXRP17 said:

10.) If anyone wants to try to help me find the WIPO patent application, that would be great. But it also might not be available until March 2, 2021. 

I had a search through Patentscope but didn't come up with anything either. I will say this - using "RTGS" as the name of your business and registering related trademarks under the Madrid system (as they have done), seems a bit cheeky given they have used generic words "Real Time Gross Settlement".

It will be interesting to see what happens there. I still view that business as small beans.

Couple of things for people to think about here.

First, if the RTGS.Global application(s) was(were) filed both in the UK and WIPO in Sept. of last year, you won't see the details of it (them) until March 2021 because of the publication rules.  Look all you want, but it won't be available unless someone with access to it posts it somewhere (which is unlikely).

Second, patents or applications don't infringe each other. Only a product/service/activity can infringe a patent. Patents don't give you any affirmative right to practice what you invented. They only give you a right to exclude others from practicing it. It's entirely possible that RTGS could get a patent issued, but their product still infringes Ripple's (or someone else's) patent. It's also entirely possible they get a patent issued that doesn't even cover their own product or service. Either way, it doesn't matter if their application overlaps with Ripple's (or someone else's) patents.  What matters is whether the products/services they offer would infringe someone else's patent.  Again, while the RTGS patent application might give some insight into what they're doing, there's no guarantee that it describes precisely how their system works.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:21 AM, brjXRP17 said:

Guys, 

Here is some more information on RTGS Global's patent pending application(s):

1.) It appears Andrew Smith, CTO of RTGS Global, filed the patent on September 2, 2019 in the U.K. Intellectual Property Office. 
2.) It is application number GB1912608.5
3.) The U.K. patent application is titled "A method and system for the secure transmission of funds"
4.) It appears that the RTGS patent was also filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization under application number PCT/IB2019/057390
5.) However, I cannot find the patent application under the WIPO IP Portal (as of today, September 6, 2020).

6.) In the United States, there are provisional and non-provisional patents available to inventors. A provisional patent is never examined by the USPTO, but the inventor has a quick filing date (more importantly, a quick priority date), they can delay long-term patent examination costs, and the inventor could still say they are "patent pending."
7.) In the U.K, there is no such thing as a provisional patent. However, the equivalent way to do (a provisional patent) in the U.K. is to file a normal patent application but not progress that application and then, within 12 months, to file a further application which claims priority from the earlier application. 
8.) My guess is that RTGS is moving forward with the full patent and is not just filing something to say that they are "patent pending." It has been over 12 months since the patent application was filed on September 2, 2019, and the status on the U.K's Intellectual Property Office website says "pending." However, it is always possible that a company claims they are patent pending, and technically they are correct, but the patent application eventually expires and the inventor loses their priority date. 
8.) Want to be clear here. I am not saying RTGS is doing just that, but that I have seen this happen in the past. "Patent pending" is great for marketing; great way to entice investors or customers as well. But it is just a patent application. A patent has not been awarded to RTGS yet. 

9.) In the UK, a pending patent application will be published with the search report not earlier than 18 months after the filing date of the initial UK application. So, if I am understanding this correctly, we will not be able to get a look at this patent or the text of this patent until March 2, 2021 (or later due to COVID-19 delays).
11.) If the RTGS Global patent application infringes upon any existing patent, including one of Ripple Labs, Inc. patent applications that may later be issued, that patent holder or inventor could take legal action for patent infringement, which would likely include an injunction to prevent that product/service in the marketplace. 

I'll circle back to this in March 2021. Also, all of this does not mean that RTGS is or is not a threat to what Ripple is doing. Just trying to bring some more light to what they are doing here (and what legal protections they are trying to claim with everyone and every other company quickly jumping into this space).