Patent Pending Applications owned by Ripple Labs, Inc.

On 9/6/2020 at 9:32 AM, brjXRP17 said:

8.) Random oracles in open networks (2/12/2018)

My first thought after reading this was "oh, like signal hopping".

If you have a group of validators with overlapping UNLs, each running a cluster. They can have a per-shared sequence of which node in each's cluster to trust during which future time windows.

Then each validator operator would change their UNL to another node in the other validator's cluster.

This would look like constantly changing UNLs to an unknowing ledger observer.

From the perspective of the Validator operator's perspective, its like having some static IPs but to meet quorum they also need to agree on some variable but known set of IPs

Does this even make any sense to people who know better?

1 hour ago, KarmaCoverage said:

My first thought after reading this was "oh, like signal hopping".

If you have a group of validators with overlapping UNLs, each running a cluster. They can have a per-shared sequence of which node in each's cluster to trust during which future time windows.

Then each validator operator would change their UNL to another node in the other validator's cluster.

This would look like constantly changing UNLs to an unknowing ledger observer.

From the perspective of the Validator operator's perspective, its like having some static IPs but to meet quorum they also need to agree on some variable but known set of IPs

Does this even make any sense to people who know better?

Well, I don't know if I "know better" - but, yeah, some of the first things that came to mind when I was reading consensus whitepapers way back when was applying one-time-pad / frequency hopping schemes to them...  The things that some groups have patented in the last few years are shit that'd I'd toss out as "obvious" based upon the prior art, much of it going back nearly a hundred years... but, ya know, lawyers wanna lawyer.  (And 15 year olds think everything is "novel.")

One of the most underappreciated things Bob Way ever said here was re: the need to patent things not necessarily to keep others from using them, but, mostly, to protect one's own rights to use those methods - without being dragged down into legal muck.

Edited by NightJanitor
(Added Parenthetical: "Old Man Yells At Cloud")