Risk to my XRP with accepting Flare airdrops

even as i trust wietse wind , i dont like to put in my secret key to use xumm for using the toolkit.

is there a more safe and not too complicated way to put the ethereum adress in the messagefield of my xrpl accounts?

usually i access my xrpl accounts by using the ripple desktop client which i am using for years without having any problems.

I feel pretty save and i wouldnt like to put in my secret key in any apps / Websites or whatever.

i am not a programmer but grew up with computers and am able to go through half complicated it things.

Hopefully there is a safe and not too difficult solution available.

Edited by lumpilumpe
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is incorrect. Even if your computer or our servers were completely compromised, your secret key remains inaccessible at all times, as it is protected inside a separate Xumm or Ledger device with

I think im going to wait hear what the official procedure is, why would Flare make the tokem redemption so complicated ?

There's no risk from setting the MessageKey and there's no need to delete it, although you could always reset it back to being blank. I wouldn't bother unless you actually need to. The only "risk" is

Posted Images

8 hours ago, minotauruk said:

I think im going to wait hear what the official procedure is, why would Flare make the tokem redemption so complicated ?

They want to do the distribution via a smart contract so they need something that the contract can access.  I’m not convinced this is the best or only way they can do that,  but it is the way they say they are going to use.

It seems a bit convoluted at first, but updating the MessageKey field on the XRP ledger makes a lot of sense. I couldn't think of a better way to securely prove account ownership while providing your ETH address. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I would recommend not participating. There is no sense in potentially risking your XRP for tokens that could very well end up being worth little to nothing.

It seems a bit convoluted at first, but updating the MessageKey field on the XRP ledger makes a lot of sense. I couldn't think of a better way to securely prove account ownership while providing your ETH address. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I would recommend not participating. There is no sense in potentially risking your XRP for tokens that could very well end up being worth little to nothing.

Agreed
On 8/26/2020 at 6:05 AM, xrptoolkit said:

This is incorrect. Even if your computer or our servers were completely compromised, your secret key remains inaccessible at all times, as it is protected inside a separate Xumm or Ledger device with no export functionality.

I actually misread the op, the word toolkit jumped out and I thought he was talking about entering a secret into xrptoolkit website.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:37 PM, xrp_sea said:

exactly

For $50 You can probably buy on Bitrue the same amount of Flare tokens you would get from the airdrop

Would you risk all your XRP for saving $50?

8 hours ago, Dario_o said:

exactly

For $50 You can probably buy on Bitrue the same amount of Flare tokens you would get from the airdrop

Would you risk all your XRP for saving $50?

Well most people who hold XRP a $50 savings is a hell of a lot more money saved than what XRP has provided over 3 years. So I can see why someone might be lured into a $50 savings.

Edited by Scout

Here we go again. I got a DM on Twitter last night (as I was helping people set up) saying that when people linked their ledger to Xrptoolkit and signed the transaction there could be code in the transaction that will take the fee but the transaction delayed to a certain date and time. 

They are basically saying that on a certain date and time in the future, everyone that linked up will have their balance sent to an address as the transaction was already signed when people linked it up.

This isn’t possible is it?

I wish I had the knowledge to just ignore such things, but I don’t🤣

57 minutes ago, Carts said:

There’s no mention of Flare on Ripples site and no one from Ripple follow flare on Twitter? 

7403C125-B89A-41D1-8B4E-AF15E10B1D49.png

Flare is endorsed by XPRING and not by Ripple (not sure but I think I once saw Ethan Beard following @Flarenetworks on Twitter)