Dario_o

(Coil related) Washington Post: These beloved news-satire sites were struggling to stay afloat. So they’re banding together.

This week, sites as different as The Hard Times, Reductress and the Weekly Humorist are launching a $5-a-month membership through a micro-donation platform called Coil. Instead of throwing up paywalls, selling their own subscriptions or selling out to a corporate owner, the sites will remain independent and offer exclusive content, ad-free browsing and other perks to members. Coil will then divvy up the money to the publishers according to how long readers spend on each of the sites.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2020/07/29/satire-news-reductress-hard-times

https://outline.com/nGEend

3 hours ago, Dario_o said:

Coil will then divvy up the money to the publishers according to how long readers spend on each of the sites.

So I no longer need to hire a click farm to get rewarded? They can simply open my page and leave it open forever?

I can also add tons of useless info on each post, simply to keep you on my page longer. YES these are silly examples of abuse, but wow "reading time" is so arbitrary and disconnected from "how good" any page actually is. Some of the worst articles take the longest to read.

I had hoped that Coil allowed the content creator to get paid directly by the content consumer, per the terms of the content creator. Why require some unknown and uncheckable  "arbitrator of funds" to decide how much everyone is paid. This, like all centralization is ripe for corruption/favoritism.

Content creators should be charged by Coil when they post, kind of like buying your spot at the public market. The rest is up to the consumer.

So I no longer need to hire a click farm to get rewarded? They can simply open my page and leave it open forever?
I can also add tons of useless info on each post, simply to keep you on my page longer. YES these are silly examples of abuse, but wow "reading time" is so arbitrary and disconnected from "how good" any page actually is. Some of the worst articles take the longest to read.
I had hoped that Coil allowed the content creator to get paid directly by the content consumer, per the terms of the content creator. Why require some unknown and uncheckable  "arbitrator of funds" to decide how much everyone is paid. This, like all centralization is ripe for corruption/favoritism.
Content creators should be charged by Coil when they post, kind of like buying your spot at the public market. The rest is up to the consumer.

Your right. There should be some restriction to the (endless) use of your 5$ ...
That fee should be "consumed" in some way and when you run out you could or add a $ or wait for the next month....

52 minutes ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

This is precisely why I would enjoy a service like this. If an article or such isn't up to my expectations, I'm gone without having paid a "full price of admission." I quickly scan through articles all the time, in determining if I think the content is worthwhile or not, and sometimes, even if the core content is, it's embedded in so much verbiage that I'm just not gonna trudge through a bunch of overly descriptive text to get to the meat of things. I'd love something like this, and I believe that it would ultimately select for the more well written and researched pieces: or as in this case, the best satire.

1 hour ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

I agree with you that this model sux.  It’s replacing the antique pay wall with the antique subscription model when there is a new micropayment facility available.  Coil have plonked themselves in the middle as rent seekers.

It would be better I think if there were browser plugins that before you go to a page (and authorise payment) get that pages cost and alert you if it’s above the guidelines you set.  The pages can set their own fee and the free market decides who does better out of that.  Browser plugin has tools to easily manage that reasonable fee thing and maybe oracles to look up to see community standards.

The fee is a micropayment for entry and is NOT time based but rather may have scroll payment points.  The browser plugin can see the full set of payments and knows if it exceeds what is set as reasonable.

I’ve only given a few minutes of thought to this a few times but I’m certain that all the smart folk at Coil could have started with a blank page and redesigned web monetisation in a revolutionary way that actually would have enhanced takeup rather than restricted it via subscription-resistance.

It’s like watching a wheel arrive in stone age times out of a time vortex,  then see it get plonked down on its side by the cavemen and used as a table.

Yes there will be abuse. Like people getting seeds in the mail, so that an online seller can upvote their own services. It is however an interesting option to get coil moving, although slightly dirty and not pure in spirit. I would assume that coil will look at ways to curb abuses.

I have been posting in COIL for over a year. First on their site, but after my site re-design I just post links there and whenever the subscribed COIL folks come to my XRP monetized site I get paid. Made a decent and worthwhile amount of XRP in the process. Kudos to the COIL team for making this work. It needs improvements, but they are making them, albeit slow.

https://tokyoliving123.com/