Media giant uses Coil for web monetization

LeonidasH

It will be interesting to know which phase Conde Nast is in concerning coil. Of course the only way we will know is if a company involved whether Coil or Conde Nast makes an announcement.

"Wired, a Condé Nast brand was monetized with Coil. Even more impressive was the fact that the Coil payment pointer on wired, “$spsp.coil.com/donate/condenast”, belonged to its parent company."

Seeing that wired is now using web-monetization is great. I immediately went to wired and checked and sure enough - they are accepting my coil payments. Since this is clearly part of a test phase (no announcement of any kind), I decided to start reading articles and keep my browser open on one to ensure they get some tiny $$$ and know that the system is working.

The sad irony is that after reading a few articles, a blocker appeared that stopped me reading more without a subscription. Of course, you can open an article in private mode and carry on reading - but then the coil plugin stops contributing. face-palm.

4 hours ago, jbjnr said:

The sad irony is that after reading a few articles, a blocker appeared that stopped me reading more without a subscription. Of course, you can open an article in private mode and carry on reading - but then the coil plugin stops contributing. face-palm.

True. I've experienced this as well. If i will have to make a guess would be that it's still very early and the deal they made with Coil is to test the tech and if it attracts more Coil users, they will implement some kind of Coil account sign-in in their website for Coil subscribers to remove paywalls.

6 hours ago, icebreath said:

True. I've experienced this as well. If i will have to make a guess would be that it's still very early and the deal they made with Coil is to test the tech and if it attracts more Coil users, they will implement some kind of Coil account sign-in in their website for Coil subscribers to remove paywalls.

I don't think they are waiting for more coil customers. I think this is purely just to check out the tech. If they wanted to more customers, I think we would've seen a massive marketing campaign for it. However, I think that there's little doubt that coil is a winner. Once they finish testing, they will start the marketing aspect.

12 hours ago, icebreath said:

if it attracts more Coil users, they will implement some kind of Coil account sign-in in their website for Coil subscribers to remove paywalls

One of the real nice features of the coil tech is that there is no need to sign in. If you have the coil plugin - payments are streamed and the page can be unlocked automatically without you needing to log in. This is one feature that really attracts me to it - in principle I can navigate from one site to another and if they require a paywall, coil will stream without me doing anything. I suppose the plugins will become more advanced and allow you to switch them on/off per site once adoption picks up - so you don't waste money on a site you click on by mistake and don't want to pay for.

5 hours ago, elemeno said:

I don't think they are waiting for more coil customers. I think this is purely just to check out the tech. If they wanted to more customers, I think we would've seen a massive marketing campaign for it.

Agreed. but I'm going back to wired regularly to make sure they know that subscribers exist and the tech is working. I might as well use up some of that $5 I've been paying every month for the last year or more. (Can't remember when I signed up, but I consider it an investment for exactly the kind of user/use case that Wired is hopefully exploring)

On 6/15/2020 at 4:57 PM, jbjnr said:

Seeing that wired is now using web-monetization is great. I immediately went to wired and checked and sure enough - they are accepting my coil payments. Since this is clearly part of a test phase (no announcement of any kind), I decided to start reading articles and keep my browser open on one to ensure they get some tiny $$$ and know that the system is working.

I was doing exactly the same. Turning to Wired more often but then the blocker happened. Can't have their cake and eat it too... 😬