5 hours ago, solid102 said:

Ok That sounds like reasonable analysis. Can you provide a breakdown of how much cash would be needed from 0.2 to 10 and from 10 to 100 because tbh I do not see how the amount of money is correlated to price movements.

This data is for Bitstamp only:

You currently need 8.5 million USD to move XRP from 0.20 USD to 1.00 USD, but you need 46 million USD to move BTC from 10k USD to 50k USD.

This is just Bitstamp, you have to take into account other exchanges, so it would of course be much more than that, but I believe the comparison still stands. Interestingly enough it takes roughly the same amount of USD to move ETH by 5x as it does for XRP (at Bitstamp).

It is hard to extrapolate this data for ranges that you mentioned (0.2 USD to 10 USD and 10 USD to 100 USD), because my data is just the amounts of different digital assets at market sell orders at this time. As soon as prices start moving, market orders get added and removed, so market psychology takes it from there.

Generally, when prices move up quickly, there are a lot of new buyers, and at the same time, a lot of sellers remove their sell orders, because they are afraid they might miss higher prices. This means much less hard cash is needed to move the price up.

The only thing that market capitalization of a digital asset really tells you, is how much money it would take for every seller out there to be able to cash out at the current price.

For example, the current market cap of BTC is about 175 billion USD, so it would take 175 billion USD of hard cash to allow every BTC owner in the world to sell their Bitcoin at 9600 USD.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been following the discussions here since 2017... just registered today. Its funny how everybody is having second thoughts right now (including me), yet it feels like we are closer than ever. If you g

This data is for Bitstamp only: You currently need 8.5 million USD to move XRP from 0.20 USD to 1.00 USD, but you need 46 million USD to move BTC from 10k USD to 50k USD. This is just Bitsta

Cesar1810 stop being so gay man, keep loving every post you see, it feels wrong, as if a dude is touching me intimately.

6 hours ago, solid102 said:

Ok That sounds like reasonable analysis. Can you provide a breakdown of how much cash would be needed from 0.2 to 10 and from 10 to 100 because tbh I do not see how the amount of money is correlated to price movements.

I once read an  article a long time ago it was a 1:50 ratio for dollars invested to market cap on the last bitcoin cycle. Not sure of the validity of that claim or if it is applicable to future bull runs.

Edited by ManBearPig
3 hours ago, QWE said:

This data is for Bitstamp only:

You currently need 8.5 million USD to move XRP from 0.20 USD to 1.00 USD, but you need 46 million USD to move BTC from 10k USD to 50k USD.

This is just Bitstamp, you have to take into account other exchanges, so it would of course be much more than that, but I believe the comparison still stands. Interestingly enough it takes roughly the same amount of USD to move ETH by 5x as it does for XRP (at Bitstamp).

It is hard to extrapolate this data for ranges that you mentioned (0.2 USD to 10 USD and 10 USD to 100 USD), because my data is just the amounts of different digital assets at market sell orders at this time. As soon as prices start moving, market orders get added and removed, so market psychology takes it from there.

Generally, when prices move up quickly, there are a lot of new buyers, and at the same time, a lot of sellers remove their sell orders, because they are afraid they might miss higher prices. This means much less hard cash is needed to move the price up.

The only thing that market capitalization of a digital asset really tells you, is how much money it would take for every seller out there to be able to cash out at the current price.

For example, the current market cap of BTC is about 175 billion USD, so it would take 175 billion USD of hard cash to allow every BTC owner in the world to sell their Bitcoin at 9600 USD.

This is very informative especially the last part QWE. I know that ripples goal is to ramp up ODL to the point where billions of cash transact every day via remittances. The current cap is 8.9 billion USD for XRP and as per your explanation it would require 8.9 billion dollars to buy every single XRP to ever exist at 0.2 USD. I wonder how ramping up ODL volumes will play into the price.

If Ripple begins to tackle any small fraction of SWIFT transactions which is what most are holding on for, my concern has always been how fast it settles.  It may take X amount of XRP to do a transaction but then it is rapidly settled and back in the market so I don't see it having all that much of an effect on the price. 

2 hours ago, dontsellmeadog said:

If Ripple begins to tackle any small fraction of SWIFT transactions which is what most are holding on for, my concern has always been how fast it settles.  It may take X amount of XRP to do a transaction but then it is rapidly settled and back in the market so I don't see it having all that much of an effect on the price. 

So you invested in the hope of a speculative rise in price? I would have stuck with BTC on that score TBH 

On 5/14/2020 at 12:02 AM, Jotaro said:

wow so conservative, it defeats the purpose of investing in crypto if 1.50 in a few years is the best it can do, price stay like this for a few more years and highly likely everyone will be leaving, those who remained are either dont care anymore but not wanting to deny their remote chance of a bullrun (me), or diamond hands that can never be shaken out.

what makes you think that though?

No, it doesn't. $1.50 is 8x what the price is now. You aren't going to find  CD that will get you 800% in 3 years. You have a pretty warped view of what a good ROI is.

2 hours ago, Archbob said:

No, it doesn't. $1.50 is 8x what the price is now. You aren't going to find  CD that will get you 800% in 3 years. You have a pretty warped view of what a good ROI is.

from traditional ROI standpoint, that's godlike return, but we're in crypto, and we know why we're here, the astronomical return, otherwise it defeats the purpose of going into such volatile asset class, think of it as a educated lottery ticket

We are trading in a corrupted market with whales and bots.  The price could go on falling or rising, utility is not a bedrock yet so it is pretty much arbitrary which direction it will take.  Big rises, like we saw in 2017, are in many ways more possible given the  way the market has been opened up for ordinary investors to come in.  For every person who got burnt in the bear market there is another person who made very good money,  and given the ease with which people can join the market today there is an order of magnitude more fresh investors on the sidelines than there ever were in 2017.  In the last three years nothing has happened to stop another bull market like we saw in 2017 happening again, and in 2017 prices went from about where we are now to 3.5 in a matter of a few days. 

If someone gave me 500k to invest in one thing, what would I choose to invest in?  I would not invest in property, because a recession is around the corner and lots of people will be in negative equity soon.  I would not invest in oil, the economies of the world are in for a slump, I would not invest in airlines, travel or hotels.  Every investment looks like high risk.  Digital cash is the future, like digital telecoms were the future in the 1990s.  Investing in crypto feels smart to me. (not financial advice).

If you are happy with profits at 1 dollar, cash in when it reaches that figure.  I will not be cashing in anything under 1 dollar and even if it reached $5 I would still hold on to at least 50% of my stake.  Targets and cashing out are personal decisions that every one has to take their own responsibility for.

Edited by Julian_Williams