Guest Vinnie

What Did Ripple Do Right?

2 minutes ago, Max Entropy said:

Hi Seventy,

I may have misplaced the comment... I do not think that Ripple is doing very much that is right these days. Sure, I sound critical, but I believe my comments can not easily be refuted.

:-)

I take the time to comment, because I sense that if Ripple is living in a 'Ripple eco-chamber' then they truly are cooked.

Was kind of joking but the fact is the topic was pretty explicit and you just throw a couple of errors :)

Although you sound very bearish concerning Ripple I really enjoy reading your posts and your views on this space. You sound really smart although the sometimes biased opinion on Ripple/etherum. I just think they are on two different routes but agree they are competitors ultimately. 

But keep posting because your posts are def worth the read. 

(Sorry for OT)

I have worked in both R&D and in high tech in my own public company. I have seen how fast competent global developers can introduce local features that differentiate from existing products and how easily large companies (telcos in my case) can adjust their posture re: competitive environments.

I think Ripple is suffering from lack of leadership. In some cases, leadership should stay hungry and aggressive. I admired this aspect of Steve Job's

- he took informed risks based on his insights... he led technically

- he was always paranoid about the competition

- he ran a tight ship... public facing people were well scripted

--

If Ripple were serious... as they claim to be talking up the XRP Markets - Heads and Directors - appointments then they would see that BUYING XRP is one of the significant road blocks to Ripple adoption. Just as significantly and I have been ranting about this forever, is that which Exchanges transact in XRP. NONE. [Sure we can find... Kraken, Polo, Bitstamp, etc. but this is effectively none]. Garlinghouse and Larsen, if the truly understood the XRP markets... you would think would place fixing this as a high priority. Now they may say... we are working on this... and I will say... it is a little late in the day to think about access to markets.

--

So I see that Ripple needs to change... quickly. They are coasting on the technical success of their developers.

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

This thread is collect everyone's opinion on what Ripple did right in the last 5 years. I'll start:

This would be an extensive list. 

1. Focus on established FIs as early as 2013, as that clientele had not yet been served by the new fintech being developed with blockchain at the time.

2. Made it a policy to cooperate with fiat authorities instead of thumb their nose at them.

3. Take regulation seriously, and interact actively with development of legislation.

4. Hire the right people.  (This is something Ripple does very well)

5. Expand into key markets (This is something Ripple does very well)

6. Develop key strategic alliances with key business partners (This is something Ripple does very well)  

Regulatory compliance, aggressive growth strategy, a new focus XRP and a highly experienced development and business team.

Edited by Omnis

Tech.: I'm still impress by the few seconds it takes to send money...more after going to the bank to make a wire transfer and being told it would take two days and it would be done by "fax"!!!

Graphic Design: Logo, website, etc...nice, clean.

Ripple  Charts: Not perfect, but such a great tool.

No Mining: For many reasons, but foremost, I'm Green and all that wasted power used especially in China is making me sigh!

Anti-spam and many other small measures: Feels like someone's' thought about creating a good product before sending it out.

I'll answer what I think they are doing right:

Building good relationships with important partners & large investors, apparently aiming high.

Focussing on a narrow set of problems to solver, ensuring they will always be relevant, and experts in that particular field.

Not hyping too much or placing appearance and promise before the core technology - better than the inverse, but maybe they could improve the balance!

A great bunch of developers and nice signs of growth/expansion in recent months/years

Good public speakers, presentations and videos, albeit not tremendously abundant...

Aiming to genuinely improve current systems and approaching that in a more amicable, open way rather than being rebellious, disparaging or combative...        

Just my 1 XRP.

Edited by will4star

On 3/31/2017 at 10:04 PM, OlivierA said:

No Mining: For many reasons, but foremost, I'm Green and all that wasted power used especially in China is making me sigh!

@OlivierA I had forgotten about this!  This is a key differentiation that attracted me as well, way back in 2013. 

Guest Vinnie
1 minute ago, T8493 said:

You serious?

Of course I am.

Guest Vinnie
2 minutes ago, kanaas said:

Sorry Vinnie, now you really disappoint me. Higher demand for energy means higher production of energy. Even an engineer can understand that...

You acknowledged that the increased demand is voluntary and therefore not wasteful. Anyway I know this is a religious topic for most, so we can agree to disagree! Mining is the only fair, provable, and decentralized method of coin distribution and security! Since XRP uses no mining, of course everyone here will disagree and be unwilling to hear any arguments about it, and I am ok with that.

Edited by Vinnie

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

Mining is the only fair, provable, and decentralized method of coin distribution and security!

Is it really necessary to use X kWh of electricity just to distribute and secure 1 (BTC) token in a "fair, provable, and decentralized" way?

7 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

You acknowledged that the increased demand is voluntary and therefore not wasteful. Anyway I know this is a religious topic for most, so we can agree to disagree! Mining is the only fair, provable, and decentralized method of coin distribution and security!

If I turn on the lights and nobody is in the room it is voluntary WASTED energy... Letting computers run for hours and days to create a digital asset when it can be done without.... is voluntary WASTED energy. This is not religious .... just a fair dry fact. 
The idea of Bitcoin was great and kudos to that, but it IS surpassed by its flaws (mining, speed, scaling, ...) AND by advancement in technology. The latter has a name and it is called Ripple. Face it!

Edited by kanaas