Sign in to follow this  
dvilela

David Schwartz about Codius on Twitter: Ripple isn't actively working on it

Posted (edited)

David Schwartz said two days ago on Twitter about Codius:

Ripple isn't actively working on it. I still think it's an amazing idea that has become even more applicable over time. We just can't do everything at the same time.

Maybe it's no incompatible with what he said in October about a team of DeFi devs working on it, maybe it is. The public repo development does not look good, thats for sure. It could be that it has been superseded by another project (maybe something ILP-related?), or even that they felt like they do not have enough resources to develop Codius for now, but that sound strange to me. Any opinion on this?

Edited by dvilela

The following tweet is food for speculation

Reading it as it is, you must conclude that Ripple is not working on Codius. But, if you are into some speculation and reading between the lines, you could interpret it as that Polysign is building on the Codius technique in some form, i.e. take in to account that next to working at Ripple, David Schwartz is also CTO for the new business Polysign.

And it is actually not that far fetched, Codius in adjusted form fits the Polysign use-case as a glove. It can hold secrets of any type, it allows for decentralization of keys (multi-sig), it can do smart contracting (for DeFi), it can transact every type of digital asset, and what more. Create a trusted set of highly qualified nodes with HSM for the node operator security and you have a perfect solution. If not Codius itself, then at least some of the knowledge and techniques from Codius are being used. 

There's just nobody implementing anything with Codius. It was launched more of like a POC. Ripple probably hoped that some people would try to build some projects with it and that it got some popularity. It didn't. So naturally development on projects that are not used dies out at some point (why throw money and resources at it when there doesn't seem to be any real interest?). Ripple certainly has other things that they know are working and that they want to expand upon.

3 hours ago, xerxesramesepolybius said:

Very sad, a ledger with limited smart contract ability may as well be on a centralised database

I really do wonder about your purpose here.  That statement is so far from true it’s revealing.