LeonidasH

Imgur launches Emerald, an exclusive platform for Coil members

Posted (edited)

So somewhere between 1 person out of everyone on earth and 1 out of every 25.313 people on earth depending on the number of people who have a duplicate account if the population of earth is 7.594 billion as stated on google search. Also it could represent zero people if only bots use imgur then no peson uses it.  Now that is a lot of people (or zero), but I will say I see coil as a great idea that I hope stays long enough for someone with the vision to monetize it finds a way. I don't know how or I'd let them know. Coil's business model has perplexed me to how it would be profitable, however it is a curiosity on how it could monetize itself while providing micropayments while protecting privacy. Maybe something like duckduckgo or another privacy oriented method. However that would not make it better, just the as good as we got now. Sorry for the tangent. It is good news, but the money seems to come from Ripple donating xrp which comes from speculators which makes it, as of now, a non-profitable network. However, if enough usage occurs then a profitable network may become self sufficient.

Edited by peanut56
edit logic note

Posted (edited)

It's not "I M grr" or "im grr", with a hard 'g' which I always thought. It's "image err" with a soft 'g'. Very very few people would get that 'img' in 'imgur' would come from a filename extension, '.img' and so it is pronounced as 'image'. 

Edited by enrique11

6 hours ago, enrique11 said:

It's not "I M grr" or "im grr", with a hard 'g' which I always thought. It's "image err" with a soft 'g'. Very very few people would get that 'img' in 'imgur' would come from a filename extension, '.img' and so it is pronounced as 'image'. 

The correct way of pronouncing is like 'immature" - you'll be understood.

7 hours ago, peanut56 said:

someone with the vision to monetize it finds a way. I don't know how or I'd let them know. Coil's business model has perplexed me to how it would be profitable

I cannot understand the subscription idea...  it’s crazy.  The whole point of micropayments is pay as you use.  Not “pay if you use or not“.

So why they can’t stream XRP from an account only on usage is beyond me.  I realise it needs multisig or some mechanism to authorise coil enabled services to pull they payments...  but surely that’s not an impossible task?  What is the difficulty?

I was never into coil. I don’t even really understand it (and this coming from someone who paid the $5/month way back when and implemented it on my site). If xrp is going to take 10 years to pan out, coil will take 20. 

23 minutes ago, princesultan said:

I was never into coil. I don’t even really understand it (and this coming from someone who paid the $5/month way back when and implemented it on my site). If xrp is going to take 10 years to pan out, coil will take 20. 

I think you appear to be right so far.

Which is weird to me...   the idea seems sound and the world is now Internet-savvy and ready for it.  

So what is the problem?  Why isn’t it stream as you go?  It COULD kick off big time very rapidly if it was painless, and efficient, and truly micro streamed payments.

Instead it looks like it will languish as you’ve indicated.

I think a lot of us don't understand how coil is to be implemented long term and it is defiantly in its infancy. I really do like the idea of micropayments and implementation somehow is a good thing. If coil becomes a large part of the online industry then it will more than likely fade into the background and become implemented as a back-end option for a larger subscription service, like from your internet provider. If you pay an extra x amount per month then we will not spy on you. I'm sure someone has mentioned the idea on this forum. At the same time it is kind of cool to watch how a company is trying to get into a complex environment that has for the majority of its life relied on ads and information mining in order to raise revenue in order to survive. That is what is cool about it. It offers an option to change a long time pain point on the monetization of the internet. Anyway coil is like a piece of a puzzle. You know it fits, but their is no picture to figure out how it fits with the rest of the pieces.