Ripple Lawsuit Tracker (May 2020)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, Below is your May 2020 update on the lawsuits filed against Ripple Labs, Inc. As of today, May 4, 2020, there are four (4) open or active cases Ripple Labs, Inc is involved with and litigat

Here's the agent running the Bitcoin Manipulation Abatement, LLC case: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ppogodin/ Seriously out of his depth... Has zero securities law experience. The manner of the di

It just occurred to me that the Howey Test which is based on an Orange Farm is not the best analogy for digital assets, when considering that the governing bodies are considering a "reclassification"

It just occurred to me that the Howey Test which is based on an Orange Farm is not the best analogy for digital assets, when considering that the governing bodies are considering a "reclassification" of a digital asset at some point in Time after the digital asset has begun to exist. I think the Orange Farm analogy, while that was the actual legal case that yielded the Howey Test, a Farm is something which is already in production at the time "investors" purchased an interest in the Oranges.

I think for digital assets, perhaps a Ship and it's Goods being delivered are a more appropriate analogy. I'd call Ripple the Ship, and XRP the Goods (which have utility, only if delivered into production). Those investing in owning the Ship, already have a company and a productive asset. That asset's job is to deliver Goods to an environment where those Goods can be Productive, thus gaining utility.

This analogy enables a separation of Time. There is first Time inflection point in time where the Goods exist, but are either existing at origin, or in route to a Productive environment where their Utility Value can be consumed. I think it makes sense that the Ship owners gain some from their efforts to Deliver the Goods to a Productive environment, this is not a financial crime, this is being productive and improving the value of the Goods... "bringing them to market".

Once the Goods are "at market" we hit the second Time inflection point, then a reclassification can occur, these Goods are now salable Oranges, thus not securities. In the situation with Ripple, they have actually been productive in two ways. They have not only delivered their Goods/XRP to the environment where the Utility Value can be consumed, but they also substantially contributed to building the environment to which the Goods have been delivered. 

Edited by KarmaCoverage
  • 3 weeks later...