Can someone please explain to me how the validator choices are made.

I thought xrp is decentralized and validator are run by anyone and there isn t a HEAD BOSS who chooses the validator. 

Can someone explain to me how validator are chosen, what are the default validator and who chooses them. If ripple actually is in charge of choosing which validator runs the network then who cares if ripple has 0 validator they are the ones who choose the validator basically allowing them to be able to BE THE central point boss .

Can someone  please correct me.. I really hope im wrong and am corrected .. I heard the network came.close to a halt as there was 1 validator away from Halting why did this happen when there are a lot more than 34 validator but just not recommended..  shouldn't they have fallen to any of the non recommended ones  I mean ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN A SYSTEM HALT  GEEEZ

Edited by btemtd
44 minutes ago, btemtd said:

I thought xrp is decentralized and validator are run by anyone and there isn t a HEAD BOSS who chooses the validator. 

Can someone explain to me how validator are chosen, what are the default validator and who chooses them. If ripple actually is in charge of choosing which validator runs the network then who cares if ripple has 0 validator they are the ones who choose the validator basically allowing them to be able to BE THE central point boss .

Can someone  please correct me.. I really hope im wrong and am corrected .. I heard the network came.close to a halt as there was 1 validator away from Halting why did this happen when there are a lot more than 34 validator but just not recommended..  shouldn't they have fallen to any of the non recommended ones  I mean ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN A SYSTEM HALT  GEEEZ

Firstly, you have to make sure you DYOR and stop listening to the random noise out there. Google is your friend. I was going to write up a detailed explanation, but if you are too lazy to do a bit of due-dilligence yourself and come with more than hearsay and conjecture, you can't expect ppl to take you seriously. Research first then come back with questions. With that being said, here's some links for you to start out with:

1. https://xrpl.org/technical-faq.html
  2. https://xrpscan.com/validators (Note that there are 165 validators. The 34 you reference are the dUNLs list of validators. This is a DEFAULT UNL List that Ripple provides as a standard for those who are part of the network to use. Yes, for your validator to be listed on this dUNL that Ripple provides you have to adhere to strict standards explained in bullets 3, 4 and 4 below. If you don’t want to use the dUNL, you don’t have to. If you are an honest and trustworthy validator you participate in the consensus process just the same. I kind of went into a bit more details as to why Ripple created the dUNL here.)
  3. How We Are Further Decentralizing the XRP Ledger to Bolster Robustness for Enterprise Use
  4. Continued Decentralization & the XRP Ledger Consensus Protocol
  5. The Inherently Decentralized Nature of XRP Ledger
  6. The Best Incentive is no Incentive

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, King34Maine said:

Firstly, you have to make sure you DYOR and stop listening to the random noise out there. Google is your friend. I was going to write up a detailed explanation, but if you are too lazy to do a bit of due-dilligence yourself and come with more than hearsay and conjecture, you can't expect ppl to take you seriously. Research first then come back with questions. With that being said, here's some links for you to start out with:

1. https://xrpl.org/technical-faq.html
  2. https://xrpscan.com/validators (Note that there are 165 validators. The 34 you reference are the dUNLs list of validators. This is a DEFAULT UNL List that Ripple provides as a standard for those who are part of the network to use. Yes, for your validator to be listed on this dUNL that Ripple provides you have to adhere to strict standards explained in bullets 3, 4 and 4 below. If you don’t want to use the dUNL, you don’t have to. If you are an honest and trustworthy validator you participate in the consensus process just the same. I kind of went into a bit more details as to why Ripple created the dUNL here.)
  3. How We Are Further Decentralizing the XRP Ledger to Bolster Robustness for Enterprise Use
  4. Continued Decentralization & the XRP Ledger Consensus Protocol
  5. The Inherently Decentralized Nature of XRP Ledger
  6. The Best Incentive is no Incentive

So why was it 1 validator away from coming to a halt.

I have done research IDIOT!  As you can see on my last question that was the entire reason why I was confused as I knew all the above AND I KNOW YOU CAN PARTICIPATE AS VALIDATOR  BUT WHATS THE POINT IF YOUR NOT A CHOSEN VALIDATOR.... IF EVERYONE CAN PARTICIPATE   THE SYSTEM SHOULDN'T HAVE COME TO THIS POINT OF ALMOST HALTING  WHY DID YOU PASTE ALL BULLSHIT TO READ WHEN the real point of my post lead to the major concern THIS >>> WHY IT WAS 1 VALIDATOR FROM A HALT?

Edited by btemtd

18 minutes ago, btemtd said:

WHY DID YOU PASTE ALL BULLSHIT TO READ WHEN the real point of my post lead to the major concern THIS >>> WHY IT WAS 1 VALIDATOR FROM A HALT?

You asked several questions to be perfectly honest. Your title for one and I gave you plenty of info to read. @Sukrim asked you a question that I was going to. I'll provide it again for you here: 

11 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

When was it "1 validator from a halt" - and do you actually know how many need to be offline for that to happen? Hint: it's far more than 20%...

Also, no need to yell bro.

Posted (edited)

That's fair but this is also fair >no need to call me lazy in your first reply!.. well i dont know the exact date ! It happened apparently when the spam attacks were happening Go to around the 18th minute on the video of SamIam  I'm not wondering when it happened I trust him as his not a fool I just want to know why it was that close to happening.  If you care about the XRPL and apparently know all this information I'm sure this will get you to look further into it. I was actually hoping someone already knew about this it's kind of shocking not many people know I would of thought I come here and ppl would have known already.  Looks like if we all care then we all must go and figure this out now. Who ever finds out the full story please just post here thanks

Edited by btemtd
1 hour ago, Sukrim said:

I don't and I want to see data and facts first. Random talking heads on Youtube are not really the kind of source I prefer, especially if they don't provide verifiable information.

I believe that there really was a recent close call.  Tiffany Hayden has been talking a lot about it on twitter and Nik B seems to support what she is claiming.  I think he was meaning five from the default UNL.  So fairly significant.

Edited by Dogowner5
11 hours ago, King34Maine said:

(Note that there are 165 validators. The 34 you reference are the dUNLs list of validators

There are 35 dUNL validators. One of them is using a more modern domain verification technique, but the data api does not support this method yet and reports 34 validators.