jbjnr

Moderator question: Ban from thread?

1 hour ago, LetHerRip said:

I was talking about the 'ban-from-thread' feature would open the possibility to banning a person based solely on the fact you don't like them or want them to participate in it

Agreed. Also, turning this around, anyone could then create a thread with fud and simply ban anybody calling him out on that.

47 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

I’m in the Zerpening and the very last thing I would ever tolerate is a cult.  The ‘to the moon’ exuberance is always tongue in cheek,  and often is totally absent while Russian Gulag type humour reigns.

I'm with Tiny on this one. 

Edited by 7strings

3 hours ago, jbjnr said:

Dear moderators, please feel free to move this thread to somewhere else as I was not sure where to put it (I expect there's a section for this kind of thing)

I find xrpchat increasingly unreadable (and I doubt I am alone) due to the pointless contributions made by a significant number of posters who appear to have no reason to be here other than to criticize other posters, post their annoying comments about price movements or spread FUD-like nonsense by commenting constantly about how awful ripple are, how much in the red they are, etc etc

I can ignore these posters and do so frequently, but their comments still appear as quoted references - and - wonderful though they try to be, some xrpchat members feel that they have to correct these posters, by pointing out where they have made a mistake, making the threads they hijack longer and giving the trolls the airspace that they crave so desperately. Every pointless comment by an 'unhappy investor' leads to ten further comments that do nothing for the quality of xrpchat and only serves to bring it down to the level of the rest of the internet.

A solution that comes to mind is a 'ban-from-thread' feature that the creator of a topic would be able to use to ban further contributions to that thread alone by users who try to hijack it, or who post off-topic comments that degrade the thread quality. The user who starts a thread would have free reign to prevent any poster that wants to hijack the thread from adding to it. (If the trolls want to create their own threads devoted to their own topic, then they can do so).

Can it be done? 

Thanks

The forum does not have any fine-grained controls to restrict members from posting in a particular thread/sub-forum. If you see someone crossing the line into troll territory, please report them and mods will review.

2 hours ago, karlos said:

The forum does not have any fine-grained controls to restrict members from posting in a particular thread/sub-forum. If you see someone crossing the line into troll territory, please report them and mods will review.

That is a pity. I assumed that the moderators of the forum were also maintainers of the code that makes it run and that it might be feasible to add the functionality, but I guess it's a non trivial task. Thanks for responding anyway.

I have not reported anyone and I probably won't in future, using the ignore button used to be enough, but I guess I'll just stop reading (and contributing) to the forum soon.

1 hour ago, jbjnr said:

That is a pity. I assumed that the moderators of the forum were also maintainers of the code that makes it run and that it might be feasible to add the functionality, but I guess it's a non trivial task. Thanks for responding anyway.

I have not reported anyone and I probably won't in future, using the ignore button used to be enough, but I guess I'll just stop reading (and contributing) to the forum soon.

I hope not, as your posts are informative and very helpful.  Perhaps everyone reading the threads can help draw the mods' attention to the trolls.  It is tiresome.