David Schwartz to present regarding (NO) compensation to XRPL node owners

Meanwhile on Coil random bloggers that post a single article a day or less get a few hundred USD per month for "boosting"...?! I guess it is easy getting a bit irritated by this, if you're running a server/validator for 7 years for free like me. On Coil, I just would need to post a picture of a cat or some food every day to get a 4 digit income.

Still I'd rather not get any money for running my server directly from the system and rather would see some payments for API access (via ILP?) enabled or created via a separate layer than jsut being paid for running software. Computing4Good showed to what this can/will lead already.

Meanwhile on Coil random bloggers that post a single article a day or less get a few hundred USD per month for "boosting"...?! I guess it is easy getting a bit irritated by this, if you're running a server/validator for 7 years for free like me. On Coil, I just would need to post a picture of a cat or some food every day to get a 4 digit income.
Still I'd rather not get any money for running my server directly from the system and rather would see some payments for API access (via ILP?) enabled or created via a separate layer than jsut being paid for running software. Computing4Good showed to what this can/will lead already.

Ridiculous comparison. Coil=content and has nothing to see with network or tech supporters. Those bloggers even can make more money on other channels like YT with even more low level video content
29 minutes ago, Lambosexual said:

These validators are secretly bitter? Or is she just stirring the pot for her own amusement? 

The word you are looking for is clout.  

Would the network actually come to a halt at some point, if some of the current validators (or 2 people, like Tiff is claiming) would decide to call it quits? 

Seems to me real stakeholders will emerge (or could be temporarily be incentivized by Ripple) to run nodes that are up to par, as the ecosystem matures.  If you are pushing lot's of transactions, wouldn't you want the reliability of your own validator? The expense of running said validator would be nothing in the books of ODL exchanges.  

BTW: Personally i wouldn't count on reliable validators from one of the UBRI Universities. 

If some of the current UNL validators are unhappy about not getting paid, they could very easily raise money through a platform like Patreon. If they can't or don't want to, it's time to pack the bags.

when it comes to validators I think Ripple envisioned that companies utilizing the xrp ledger or xrp itself would be incentivised to run a validator, as it would help insure network security. It would also allow companies or individuals to have a vote those operations. However, without incentivising validators early on the motivations for private persons to be involved does not exist. Personally I'm surprised that validator payments never occurred since it would have helped to grow the network in the early days which we still are in. I think they looked at how the final network was suppose to be and not how to get it to grow quickly. Anyway it is one of those things that sucks for the little guy/girl.

Edited by peanut56
sidetracked while writting.

Should've known better that David's controversial meant not controversial at all :). A good blog post on Xpring-blog: "Other blockchains offer direct incentives such as rewards from mining and staking or trading advantages. Instead, the lack of direct incentives for XRP Ledger validators attracts natural stakeholders." -> The Best Incentive is No Incentive, agreed!

This is fun -> Public Node created its own digital token on the Stellar network. https://publicnode.org/introducing-the-node/

So, back to XRPL: the "validator" operator(s) could issue an IOU/ a token on the XRP Ledger called a “NODE” -> it symbolizes something quite exceptional – a person’s willingness to support the open and inclusive network with no expectations of personal gain.

So go ahead and create a redeemable, tradable representation of validator operating hours, sell it on XRPL DEX for some XRP/other IOU and see what happens. Announce it all over twitter/reddit and other media though so that the "xrp-community" is aware.

44 minutes ago, benstr said:

I read the required specs.. what sort of internet bandwidth do I need? 50 mbps up/down sufficient?

I think I remember hearing that during some of the recent periods of high transaction activity, one of the validators completely saturated its 100 MBit link. Most of the time it's not that high so you could get by with 50 mbps more often than not, but you might not be able to keep up with high volume periods. That's still helpful to the network, but you wouldn't be a good candidate for the recommended UNL with that kind of network link.

Still, more information on how to run a validator would be helpful and those kinds of contributions could lead to improvements in the overall ecosystem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running a validator for 3 years with a monthly bill of $200 or so.

I recently had a "discussion" with her on twitter. https://r0bertz.blogspot.com/2020/02/has-tiffany-hayden-been-spreading-fud.html

Also @JoelKatz just gave the talk yesterday. He made his point loud and clear. I support it 100%. 

However, I do think that there could be some way to compensate validator operator. In fact, we already have one.

You know the validate key is associated with an XRPL address. https://github.com/codetsunami/xrpl-tools/tree/master/validator-address-tool

Here's mine

https://bithomp.com/explorer/rnFK6W1E9yykL3gr2Jpt5VZD8aXyUf2uZ3

https://stats.xrplapps.com/validators/report/?vpk=nHBTqw7vwjqrSMruoQNYmSXcrBmQHDquG7jgvrsQpurGaVELqdNx

You can see there's lots of payments with memo "Sent with sincere thanks, from the xrplapps validator tipping fund!"

Frankly, I would keep running it even without any direct compensation. But still it's nice if I can get something in return.

Edited by r0bertz
On 2/10/2020 at 8:41 AM, peanut56 said:

when it comes to validators I think Ripple envisioned that companies utilizing the xrp ledger or xrp itself would be incentivised to run a validator, as it would help insure network security. It would also allow companies or individuals to have a vote those operations. However, without incentivising validators early on the motivations for private persons to be involved does not exist. Personally I'm surprised that validator payments never occurred since it would have helped to grow the network in the early days which we still are in. I think they looked at how the final network was suppose to be and not how to get it to grow quickly. Anyway it is one of those things that sucks for the little guy/girl.

That's what I got out of their objections too.  From what I was able to piece together in the disparate twitter conversations I found, they seem to feel that the natural stakeholders model hasn't necessarily yet given rise to competently run validators by invested organizations replacing the ones maintained by Ripple themselves.

Edited by macropolo
On 2/23/2020 at 1:27 AM, r0bertz said:

I have been running a validator for 3 years with a monthly bill of $200 or so.

I recently had a "discussion" with her on twitter. https://r0bertz.blogspot.com/2020/02/has-tiffany-hayden-been-spreading-fud.html

Also @JoelKatz just gave the talk yesterday. He made his point loud and clearly. I support it 100%. 

I've always wondered how David manages to talk without ever gasping for air and yet sound eloquent and completely clear at the same time.