r0bertz

ripple-client-desktop ported to RippleAPI

Disclaimer: this work is provided "as-is" and is not endorsed by or affiliated with Ripple Inc. in anyway.

https://github.com/r0bertz/ripple-client-desktop/releases/

If you want to try it, please try it with testnet account, account with small balances, small transaction size, in that order. Because even though there is no known bug to me, after all this is a one man job. There could be bugs that I haven't seen yet.

To change server to testnet server, check "Online mode" under Network settings. Testnet server address can be found here https://xrpl.org/xrp-testnet-faucet.html. After changing server, please restart the client because server reconnection is not handled very well in ripple-lib.

Note that it may take a short while for it to connect for the very first time.

Here's my tip bot account if anyone feel like chipping in https://www.xrptipbot.com/u:r0bertz/n:twitter

Thanks!

Some background information:

RippleAPI was one of the APIs (the other one is core API) in ripple-lib before version 0.13.0 which was released in 2015 and has been the only API since 0.13.0.

ripple-client-desktop was abandoned by Ripple Inc. in 2015. By the time it was abandoned, it could only work with core API.

I started porting it to RippleAPI in late 2018.  The progress was recorded in this twitter thread: 

Edited by r0bertz
MacOS version released. Added known issue to release notes in github.

Can't wait to see this...it's been sooooo long since we had news about a desktop client...completely ridiculous that Ripple's startup fund doesn't help here

Just a reminder (to Ripple)

"Xpring is a new initiative by Ripple that will invest in, incubate, acquire and provide grants to companies and projects run by proven entrepreneurs. Every entrepreneur will use the digital asset XRP and the XRP Ledger, the open-sourced, decentralized technology behind XRP, to solve their customers’ problems in a transformative way."

https://ripple.com/insights/welcome-to-xpring/

Thank you very much @r0bertz for reviving this project...here's my first comments/questions

- "Network settings" can't get online with a new wallet...online mode check doesn't change anything...it's been so long since I created a new wallet maybe it's just because it's empty?

- "Network settings" can't add new servers...by default you put s1.ripple.com but there's more options out there ***Edit I changed the server and can get online now***

- "Account flags" is blank...any reason?

- "Cold wallet" non existent...any reason?

- "Trust lines" is blank..nothing there...no option to add 

I can't check the other options because I always get the message that I have to be online

The hyperlinks at the bottom are going nowhere...Terms of use etc.

The Version 1.4.4 hyperlink goes to the old Ripple Github

Edited by Malloy

Now that I made it online more comments/suggestions

- "Advanced trade" is still buggy...first I'd remove the graphic that is taking too much space and not really useful...but more important find a way to get the "Orderbook" working (can't see any order on USD.Bitstamp/XRP for ex.)

- "Base gateway" by default are almost all dead except Bitstamp...you could remove Justcoin Payroutes etc.

2 hours ago, Malloy said:

Thank you very much @r0bertz for reviving this project...here's my first comments/questions

- "Network settings" can't get online with a new wallet...online mode check doesn't change anything...it's been so long since I created a new wallet maybe it's just because it's empty?

- "Network settings" can't add new servers...by default you put s1.ripple.com but there's more options out there ***Edit I changed the server and can get online now***

- "Account flags" is blank...any reason?

- "Cold wallet" non existent...any reason?

- "Trust lines" is blank..nothing there...no option to add 

I can't check the other options because I always get the message that I have to be online

The hyperlinks at the bottom are going nowhere...Terms of use etc.

The Version 1.4.4 hyperlink goes to the old Ripple Github

Server settings shows up if you check online. You figured that out already.

Once you are online, everything should show up.

I will change the link on 1.4.4 to my fork. I will try to get internationalization work. I will probably just remove the rest.

2 hours ago, Malloy said:

Now that I made it online more comments/suggestions

- "Advanced trade" is still buggy...first I'd remove the graphic that is taking too much space and not really useful...but more important find a way to get the "Orderbook" working (can't see any order on USD.Bitstamp/XRP for ex.)

- "Base gateway" by default are almost all dead except Bitstamp...you could remove Justcoin Payroutes etc.

USD.Bitstamp is actually there. Somehow, the account address is shown in the drop down menu. If you select it, Bitstamp will show up instead. I will figure out why.

I will remove dead gateways.

BTW, here's my tip bot account if anyone feel like chipping in https://www.xrptipbot.com/u:r0bertz/n:twitter

On 2/3/2020 at 2:49 PM, Malloy said:

Can't wait to see this...it's been sooooo long since we had news about a desktop client...completely ridiculous that Ripple's startup fund doesn't help here

Just a reminder (to Ripple)

"Xpring is a new initiative by Ripple that will invest in, incubate, acquire and provide grants to companies and projects run by proven entrepreneurs. Every entrepreneur will use the digital asset XRP and the XRP Ledger, the open-sourced, decentralized technology behind XRP, to solve their customers’ problems in a transformative way."

https://ripple.com/insights/welcome-to-xpring/

IIUIC, XUMM app on iOS and android will provide some very basic features, like showing account balance. I haven't used it though.

2 hours ago, r0bertz said:

Server settings shows up if you check online. You figured that out already.

Once you are online, everything should show up.

I will change the link on 1.4.4 to my fork. I will try to get internationalization work. I will probably just remove the rest.

just you know I've been using the desktop app since probably the first version released by Ripple...many years ago...

server s1 didn't work I replaced it by s-west...but still can't add more server as backup

1 hour ago, r0bertz said:

USD.Bitstamp is actually there. Somehow, the account address is shown in the drop down menu. If you select it, Bitstamp will show up instead. I will figure out why.

I will remove dead gateways.

BTW, here's my tip bot account if anyone feel like chipping in https://www.xrptipbot.com/u:r0bertz/n:twitter

I added the Bitstamp address in the contact list then created a new pair just to be sure...the orderbook is still not showing anything...just the graphic that is pretty useless

are you seeing anything in the orderbook?

38 minutes ago, Malloy said:

I added the Bitstamp address in the contact list then created a new pair just to be sure...the orderbook is still not showing anything...just the graphic that is pretty useless

are you seeing anything in the orderbook?

ripple-lib-orderbook is still using isValidAdress() which is already renamed to isValidClassicAddress() in latest ripple-address-codec.

I will fix it. Sorry.