Brad Garlinghouse from Davos: IPO a natural evolution for Ripple

Seriously, i'm really concerned about this. I'm just a regular XRP holder, and I already feel the need. You kidding me? Owning an actual share from Ripple instead of this highly speculative asset? This is crazy. What will happen with the price after this? Goes below zero? :D:newblush::(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry for interfering with a long post here, but I would just like to point out that estimated Bitcoin annual mining costs currently sit at above 3.5 billion USD (https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-ener

I think this will eventually be a bad thing for XRP holders, but I guess time will tell. Why it could be a bad thing - well, people were eagerly waiting for institutional investors and wall stree

15 Reasons why Ripple Labs going public is positive by "Esoteric Trading Solutions" (aka susietrader) on Twitter:  (BTW - all this angst and handwringing reminds me of the condemnation chorus of

I am cautiously optimistic that an IPO could actually help XRP. Follow me, if many additional investors buy stock in Ripple, thus a real financial interest in the company, then like Ripple, they should want XRP to succeed. Some of those investors may also purchase XRP, seek out banking services that use ODL, or otherwise intentionally do acts that would benefit XRP and/or the XRP ecosystem as doing so also benefits Ripple, which they have have invested in. I think a fair comparison would be people who own Apple stock are probably more likely to buy and use Apple products and services as doing so benefits Apple. This aspect may only be a small part of the big picture but I think the IPO ripple effect to benefit XRP would be real. Pun intended!

As someone else has already mentioned... XRP is what gives Ripple it's value. 

One may be able to argue that, the value can now be in the software they've created and XRP is just a component of that software.  However, if this is the case, this would have been the most lucrative & diabolic fund raising scheme in history.  Personally, I don't believe that is the case. 

Additionally, if "going public" is going to become a trend in the crypto industry, as BG suggested, it's just (possibly) an unfortunate fork in the road that no one anticipated (on either side).  I didn't put any money in that I wasn't prepared to lose, so I'll ride it out.

Edited by XRP_Almighty_Q

Generally speaking, if a company is able to issue an IPO it means that it is doing very well. For most companies, issuing an IPO is not a feasible option – they have to go to angel investors, venture capitalists, or banks to raise funds. If Ripple is doing well, that is generally good news for XRP. It’s also a good sign that they have become more confident about the regulatory / securities “black cloud” that has been hanging over XRP.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that something very positive will be announced before ripple goes public. I mean most people are thinking "sh*t I have to sell my zerps to buy stocks asap. The reaction on social media sites goes in this direction. I don't think Ripple is so naive that they didn't expect it. 

Just now, Ripple-Stiltskin said:

“ dear faithfull XRP bagholders! We’re pleased to announce that the XRP to stock conversion ratio is set at 1:5 “

😂Would love to hear your opinion on this. This makes most of us a bit nervous 

8 minutes ago, Ripple-Stiltskin said:

“ dear faithfull XRP bagholders! We’re pleased to announce that the XRP to stock conversion ratio is set at 1:5 “

That would mean we give Ripple our XRP and we get stock in return. Ripple doesn't want XRP, they want money. They've already got enough XRP.

Just now, minicuzzo said:

😂Would love to hear your opinion on this. This makes most of us a bit nervous 

There are various ways of performing an IPO, but in general it’s not always about founders cashing out.  It could be raising money in order to realise big strategic plans ( take-overs, enormous special investments that kind of things). So let’s assume they have really big plans which require a lot of money. Depending on the sense and prospects of these plans, this would be a good thing.  For Ripple. 

If those plans don’t include XRP in one way or another then our investment is doomed to stay at pennies. But if that’s the case then even without IPO the future wouldn’t be bright for XRP.  So either XRP still plays an important role in Ripple’s strategy or it won’t. With or without IPO. 

All pro and cons together my conclusion is that an IPO isn’t bad news for XRP per se, it’s Ripple’s strategy and executional succes that matters. An IPO will maybe force them to be more transparant about these matters, until then we stay in the dark.

1 hour ago, Zerp_Legend said:

We will get much more info about xrp of ripple goes public. Something is brewing 

Maybe the price has been going down because they have been emptying out all of their XRP reserves outside of escrow that no one knows they have. Don't want to have to disclose those in their quarterly and annual reports. LOL. /s

I think they have a good feel of how xrp will be registered and this in part has to do with that.But I don't know if that is good or bad, a million scenarios going on in my head. I tend to think we wiil be classified as security but that's just a feeling nothing to back it up.  Brad stated they have been working with the sec to educate them for a year. I do agree with the above statemt by Leo :) ipo or not won't matter if ripple does or doesn't have plans for xrp. As far as other crypto comp going ipo, while prob true someday I haven't heard any talk about that, I could of missed it . The one thing I have noticed in the past few weeks is that the number of articles about xrp price action have been overwhelmingly positive compared to months before.

Edited by BravoTango

I think people are getting a bit muddled in their thought process here, so I'll just share my opinion but of course it could be wrong/other people could disagree.

The main issue here is going to be whether shareholders can pressure Ripple into selling their "oil" - XRP to drive shareholder value by increasing dividends/buybacks. Does this mean that XRP is any closer to a security? DeBeers can sell their diamond stock/Shell can sell their oil and that does not make it a security, which means this could actually play in the favour of the argument that XRP isn't a security as the actual holders of the "oil" have no say in how much the company that uses/mines/holds it sells into the market & the price implications. This does however mean that XRP price could be affected negatively, and it all depends on how Ripple/their major shareholders decide to play things at certain periods of time.