Will ODL cause an increase in price? Some thoughts..

4 hours ago, XRP_to_20dollars said:

I understand this is referring to Xrapid and not ODL - but it is the most recent direct quote I have seen on the topic. If you could point me to that quote by Ashish I would like to read it. 

Ok I’ve incorrectly conflated two different sources from Navin Gupta.  The first is a 2018 video I just saw recently...

The second was this podcast:

The whole podcast is informative but the meat with regard to this discussion starts at 19 minutes or a bit after.

Thanks to @CryptoOwl for the twitter vid.  @Gilligan for finding it.  And the remarkable @LeonidasH for the podcast link from his XRpArcade site:  https://www.xrparcade.com/event/navin-gupta-interview-on-forkast-news-audio/

In the first vid he is saying the dent in the universe thing.  In the very recent podcast he is talking about XRP...  not giving up on it...   even answering the ‘what about CBDA’s putting XRP out of a job’ question.

Anyway...  if you watch and listen to these and still think Ripple are giving up on XRP then I don’t understand your thought process.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buys and sells of XRP are made with a spread of some basis points. When $1Billion per day is being transferred around the globe using ODL even at 10basis points spread, someone is earning $365million

*Longish post warning* Okay so we're all speculating that in the long term, ODL will ultimately drive a higher price. But how can that happen? What we've seen so far is that there is, currently,

It seems like there are multiple, concurrent events that will drive the price of XRP upward.  Increasing ODL liquidity needs would gradually create the perception of value and scarcity that is necessa

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

Ok I’ve incorrectly conflated two different sources from Navin Gupta.  The first is a 2018 video I just saw recently...

The second was this podcast:

The whole podcast is informative but the meat with regard to this discussion starts at 19 minutes or a bit after.

Thanks to @CryptoOwl for the twitter vid.  @Gilligan for finding it.  And the remarkable @LeonidasH for the podcast link from his XRpArcade site:  https://www.xrparcade.com/event/navin-gupta-interview-on-forkast-news-audio/

In the first vid he is saying the dent in the universe thing.  In the very recent podcast he is talking about XRP...  not giving up on it...   even answering the ‘what about CBDA’s putting XRP out of a job’ question.

Anyway...  if you watch and listen to these and still think Ripple are giving up on XRP then I don’t understand your thought process.

after reading this, think about the global economy and the way the corrupted banks work. they are not scared of crypto they adopt it.. it is the future and they know it lol

4 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

because it is too obvious?

Is this for real?

Brad G. always claims that as the largest owner of XRP they are naturally interested in the success of the digital asset.

But what does success mean. Success for Ripple means that XRP is liquid and is being used. It does not mean that the price should rise.

Ripple Labs is sitting on 50 billion XRP, which at current prices is more than $10 billion - they are completely happy with it.

Add to that the action from DS.
At around 0.30 cent, he is selling his XRP as part of a derisking(!) strategy.

The CTO - THE one who has the deepest insight into XRP.

So 0.30 cent is risky? Doesn't he assume that the asset will rather increase in value? Or does he have insider information about the fact that XRP is much too highly valued and also works well in the ODL solution with 0.02 cent, which means XRP was a success for Ripple.
Do you understand what I mean?

I trust the guys and girls from Ripple, but please, after 2 years of decline, it's time to deliver. So you're "the only digital asset with a real world usecase"? Just deliver.

7 minutes ago, Elysium2030 said:

Is this for real?

Brad G. always claims that as the largest owner of XRP they are naturally interested in the success of the digital asset.

But what does success mean. Success for Ripple means that XRP is liquid and is being used. It does not mean that the price should rise.

Ripple Labs is sitting on 50 billion XRP, which at current prices is more than $10 billion - they are completely happy with it.

So 0.30 cent is risky? Doesn't he assume that the asset will rather increase in value? Or does he have insider information about the fact that XRP is much too highly valued and also works well in the ODL solution with 0.02 cent, which means XRP was a success for Ripple.

I trust the guys and girls from Ripple, but please, after 2 years of decline, it's time to deliver. So you're "the only digital asset with a real world usecase"? Just deliver.

Building a new way to facilitate cross-border remittances takes more time that you'd like, clearly. They're not beholden to you to make the price of XRP rise. They don't care about you.

28 minutes ago, Elysium2030 said:

Is this for real?

In order to bridge a 50,000 usd you will need 2.5m xrp 

I don't think there will be enough liquidity at 0.02 becaae who would want to buy into a dead market?

2 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

Pessimism is very infectious, as is optimism.  The pessimism on the XRP forums is understandable, but I have seen nothing, NOTHING, to make me less optimistic than I was when I was buying at 1.2 in 2018.

The Far East is looking ready to explode into ODL with participation from the banks coming in to join the party. India looks very promising.  Australia is looking good.  The middle East is looking good.  Brazil and Argentina and Central America are ramping up. The EU have Christine Lagarde is at the ECB.  America is waiting regularity clarity.  Nobody else has ODL.  Stock is cheapest its been for two years. What's not to like?

I always look at ETH's price - $150 to $170 - which is way below it's PRE-bull run price of around $250 to $300.  Basically its price has been cut in half, whereas XRP is actually pretty much right in the same price range pre-bull run (talking about September to November 2017).  So if "XRP is dead" as many people are intimating, then ETH is deader than dead.  I don't think so.

11 minutes ago, 2ndtimearound said:

I always look at ETH's price - $150 to $170 - which is way below it's PRE-bull run price of around $250 to $300.  Basically its price has been cut in half, whereas XRP is actually pretty much right in the same price range pre-bull run (talking about September to November 2017).  So if "XRP is dead" as many people are intimating, then ETH is deader than dead.  I don't think so.

Depends on what you compare it to and what your benchmark is. One could also take May 17th 2017 as a reference point to counter argue:

XRP: $0.42

ETH: $90.20

The aforementioned would suggest otherwise. Anyway, everyone likes to pick and choose... Fact is that all coins are way lower versus all time high, some more than others. However, I do agree that it is all perspective. 

Edited by Raekwon
1 hour ago, Elysium2030 said:

Is this for real?

I agree it did surprise me when DS sold a substantial amount of XRP at such a low price.  I have heard he has a history of selling stock in dips  (some years ago he sold ETH or BTC very cheaply too).  If you have several million XRP, does it really affect your long term future if you sell a million?.

Apart from this one piece of information (which was explained by the very honest DS as being prompted after discussion with his younger wife who wanted money in the bank) I do not agree with anything else in your post.

DS has been on record saying higher pricing means higher liquidity and he expects the price to rise as demand for liquidity rises.  Susan Athern, also a Ripple board member published a study which projects XRP price to rise up into the hundreds if XRP gets a substantial part of SWIFT market. 

The price at the moment is just fiction based only on what yesterday's price was

• Is it worth more than yesterday? (more optimism, good news, BTC is moving up) and the price goes higher than what it was yesterday. 
  • Is it worth less than yesterday? (more pessimism, bad news, BTC moving down) and the price goes down from where it was yesterday

There is no consensus that will give you a guide about where to price XRP should be, the only point of reference for valuation is yesterdays price.

It seems XRP does worse than any other of the top ten crypto.  This is a cause for worry, until you look at how the market is being run by manipulative whales as a gambling machine for rinsing money out of naive investors coming in off the street.  BSV has gone up 200% in a couple of days for no good reason (just manipulation by the whales).  The fact that BSV is doing so well tells you nothing about the relative value of XRP against BSV.  All it does tell us is that XRP the price relationship between BTC sv and XRP is arbitrary and meaningless.

1 hour ago, Chris_Reeves said:

People do realize that the IMF has held a basket of currencies (SDRs) for years now, right? This isn't some new process and I don't see the SDRs being used by Central Banks as the asset of choice for cross border remittances. I don't see how your premise holds up to reality Tiff.

@TiffanyHayden @Julian_Williams

Are SDRs available to be traded in open markets?

1 hour ago, Julian_Williams said:

I agree it did surprise me when DS sold a substantial amount of XRP at such a low price.  I have heard he has a history of selling stock in dips  (some years ago he sold ETH or BTC very cheaply too).  If you have several million XRP, does it really affect your long term future if you sell a million?.

Apart from this one piece of information (which was explained by the very honest DS as being prompted after discussion with his younger wife who wanted money in the bank) I do not agree with anything else in your post.

DS has been on record saying higher pricing means higher liquidity and he expects the price to rise as demand for liquidity rises.  Susan Athern, also a Ripple board member published a study which projects XRP price to rise up into the hundreds if XRP gets a substantial part of SWIFT market. 

The price at the moment is just fiction based only on what yesterday's price was

• Is it worth more than yesterday? (more optimism, good news, BTC is moving up) and the price goes higher than what it was yesterday. 
  • Is it worth less than yesterday? (more pessimism, bad news, BTC moving down) and the price goes down from where it was yesterday

There is no consensus that will give you a guide about where to price XRP should be, the only point of reference for valuation is yesterdays price.

It seems XRP does worse than any other of the top ten crypto.  This is a cause for worry, until you look at how the market is being run by manipulative whales as a gambling machine for rinsing money out of naive investors coming in off the street.  BSV has gone up 200% in a couple of days for no good reason (just manipulation by the whales).  The fact that BSV is doing so well tells you nothing about the relative value of XRP against BSV.  All it does tell us is that XRP the price relationship between BTC sv and XRP is arbitrary and meaningless.

Thats all i want to hear. 

Just bought another 5k :D

Interesting discussion. Nik leads the XRPL development team. That's an entirely different world from sales and business development. I'm sure he has a pretty good idea - not all the pieces. I think it's funny you guys are talking about gift cards being a use case. Did you forget about Interledger?

Will the central banks try and come up with their own solution to remain relevant? Of course they will. Does that guarantee their success? Far from it. Ripplenet levels the playing field and if you hadn't noticed this evolution is happening from the bottom up. Sure it leverages the existing CB infrastructure today, but that's because the network effect with Crypto, and banks holding it, hasn't taken hold yet. When it does there will be no place for them, or at least not in the same capacity they exist today.

That said it's a real threat that may capture some of the cross boarder market. Look at BRICS, that's exactly what they've been working towards and starting to execute - sans CBDCs. So sure they will capture the larger markets because that's their low hanging fruit.

However, look at what the woman from Bitso had to say about her region. Do you think they're going to be happy with a CBDC solution? Of course not, it won't serve them or solve their current problems. Ripplenet will. Like it or not, Big banks are on the short end of this stick. Look at the announcements:

This is the future of banking. Why do I need a traditional bank account if I can have the functionality in a wallet on my phone? Need physical fiat? How long before Moneygram and ATMs offer conversion services? This entire space is about to be turned on it's head by Ripple, and that's just the first wave. ILP is the second.

1 hour ago, Julian_Williams said:

Are SDRs available to be traded in open markets?

The SDR was intended to be used as an instrument of trade, i.e. exchanged for commodities like oil. The reality is, they either get stored away by the larger countries that don't need them, or they get cashed in by the smaller countries that do. Used in commerce they are not, and this is why they were a failure. AFAIK, open markets don't have the infrastructure to hold/possess SDRs.

And I would just add on to the SDR portion - This is also why the CBDC conglomerates will fail in the long term. They cut themselves off from the markets. XRP will still be used to facilitate payments in those markets, but it will have better global liquidity, reach, and utility. The CBDC's will be trapped in their useful, but limited walled garden. Eventually one will over take the other, but that could take a while, might happen much more quickly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.