Australia on Fire

I can only hope the rains have helped considerably, since the time NASA took this photo.* This is absolutely terrible. Best wishes for the lives, property, and health of our Aussie friends. How is the air quality in your neck of the woods, @Tinyaccount?

Hell Down Under.png

Edited by GoldenGoose
* Not a photo, apparently, but an attempt to highlight all of the areas that have been impacted by the fires. NASA is not the source of the image.

That’s a really scary image...  is it real?   There certainly are a lot of fires,  so it well could be I suppose.

We have had a few days where the air was smoky but it’s mostly ok where I am.  Some places in Aus it is very bad though.

Yeah it’s scary bad for those affected.  We have the potential for a bushfire going through,  and we have considered our exits etc but no fires near us so far...  with luck we won’t see any.

Yeah I doubt there are any Aussies who aren’t regularly thinking of those poor folk affected,  and many are doing a bit towards the cause.  Thanks to those who have expressed concern...  we are a global village here it seems.  :JC_doubleup:

1 minute ago, 7strings said:

From what I've read these are the fires of the last couple of weeks combined in one image... still scary though

Yeah that makes sense, thanks.  Ok, from that image I can see that we should move to either the Simpson Desert or the mid west Aussie coast.   Looks like the best places to be.

Beautiful skies or fantastic fishing...   not an easy decision.   :) 

9 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

Yeah that makes sense, thanks.  Ok, from that image I can see that we should move to either the Simpson Desert or the mid west Aussie coast.   Looks like the best places to be.

Beautiful skies or fantastic fishing...   not an easy decision.   :) 

I'm not on social media and should have known that's where the image went viral. It had been texted to me by a friend. My concern is real, though. If a continent must burn, I would rather have it be Antarctica. And as it's re-freezing, some talented artists could convert it into a giant ice sculpture (penguin, perhaps?).

Here's hoping the fires are gone soon and that the smoke does not give new meaning to the "drop bears" you warned me about.

• GoldenGoose changed the title to Australia on Fire

@Tinyaccount, it seems that Ayers Rock would make a decent shelter from fire and smoke. Might I suggest you carve out a home there, much like the one near Moab, Utah? :moil: :bomb:

* Note: I will not be held responsible for the quotation marks after the N, which are prominently displayed on Hole 'N The Rock.

Hole N The Rock.png

Interior.png

Edited by GoldenGoose

It’s ok mate...  we don’t really need shelter in the centre of Aus.  :) 

Various places have huge fires that cause real problems,  but the vast bulk of Aussies are not really affected.  That image was perhaps accurate in locations,  but does give the impression it’s worse overall than it really is.  

In having said that...  it’s absolutely apocalyptic for those tens of thousands of people affected when they are affected by one of those bad fires.

It’s a tragedy that’s ongoing and the consequences like air quality in Sydney are very bad for large numbers of people,  but no one I know is affected.  My thoughts are with those people and my hopes are that no further loss of life occurs.

Edited by Guest
Wording