Ripple Raises $200 Million in latest funding round

6 minutes ago, Eric123 said:

Money Gram holding XRP is very different than Venture Capital investors holding XRP.  Nothing is stopping a venture fund from holding XRP.  

I kinda see it as a middle finger for XRP holders.

What's the difference? And yet, it's a risk for them as it's a risk for us. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smarter and more connected people than me who are willing to throw in this type of money sure makes me confident with what I've put in

How come Ripple's investors own no XRP (?) If Ripple owns around 50 billion XRP and Ripple is owned by bunch of investors (holding Ripple stocks) that makes the Ripple stock holders also the XRP owner

One theory might be that this is a concession to their strategic partners, especially to big brother SBI... Keep in mind for context, Ripple stating they don't really NEED the additional capital, it

Posted Images

@King34Maine well it can be looked at this way.  So far the only thing XRP has been used for is funding Ripple without Ripple actually selling any equity.  Where a normal company would have to sell stock for funding, Ripple has just been selling the XRP it was gifted, basically selling "stock" without giving any equity away.  A very ingenious way around securities law and the main reason all XRP detractors feel that XRP is a scam. It appears that now XRP has even lost this function. Basically Ripple saying we used XRP to capitalize our company now we can move on without XRP.  Our investors own no XRP so they won't care if we abandon it and either use a different token which the central banks or another entity issues or if we use no token at all. 

@mrhat75 I'm all ears, bro.  If you know why this is bullish for XRP believe me I want to hear it. 

25 minutes ago, Eric123 said:

@King34Maine well it can be looked at this way.  So far the only thing XRP has been used for is funding Ripple without Ripple actually selling any equity.  Where a normal company would have to sell stock for funding, Ripple has just been selling the XRP it was gifted, basically selling "stock" without giving any equity away.  A very ingenious way around securities law and the main reason all XRP detractors feel that XRP is a scam. It appears that now XRP has even lost this function. Basically Ripple saying we used XRP to capitalize our company now we can move on without XRP.  Our investors own no XRP so they won't care if we abandon it and either use a different token which the central banks or another entity issues or if we use no token at all. 

@mrhat75 I'm all ears, bro.  If you know why this is bullish for XRP believe me I want to hear it. 

In order to build liquidity they have to sell XRP they cant just give it away, they build the ecosystem. I trust them. 

27 minutes ago, Eric123 said:

Basically Ripple saying we used XRP to capitalize our company now we can move on without XRP.  Our investors own no XRP so they won't care if we abandon it and either use a different token which the central banks or another entity issues or if we use no token at all. 

Damn Eric, if bullish peeps like you are feeling this way, I wonder how most others will. I thought these news were gonna bring sentiment up, though I do share your concerns as I had read various articles discussing this and I wondered why it wasn’t brought up more in the boards. 

@Xill  @Neurotoxin

Long term I'm not sure how XRP will play out but I have always believed and still do that we will get another pump in price during the next bull run.

Maybe I'm just overly suspicious - In general I trust no one, which is one reason I believe in the trustless aspect of crypto and dislike stable coins. 

I would feel better if the interests of XRP holders and Ripple investors were linked.

Edited by Eric123
4 hours ago, ZzZerper said:

If the investment values Ripple at $10 Billion and Ripple has 50 Billion + XRP (Escrow and other Ripple wallets) that values XRP at 20c and rest of their payments software business at zero.

Hmmmm

that is not a good message price wise.

At best, the 50b in escrow is an unproven speculative asset, much like owned gold ore reserves residing underground; so it shouldn't be assessed at 100% of current market valuations. Which leaves room for a portion of the $10b to be ascribed to Ripple's other assets, both tangible and intangible. 

3 hours ago, JASCoder said:

At best, the 50b in escrow is an unproven speculative asset, much like owned gold ore reserves residing underground; so it shouldn't be assessed at 100% of current market valuations.

I don’t think that makes any sense. Its not like estimated gold ore reserves, it is a very clearly identified asset in XRP that can gradually be sold off or immediately sold off for XRP in non-escrowed wallets.

15 hours ago, Eric123 said:

Our investors own no XRP so they won't care if we abandon it and either use a different token which the central banks or another entity issues or if we use no token at all. 

@Eric123 There is always a possibility for this happening. But I see this as a low probability event. I think Ripple is helping central banks with creating their own coins. 

Ripple has been building liquidity and getting XRP on different exchanges. We need to agree that Ripple is the number one reason for XRP being at #3 in terms of market cap. Ripple's main product ie., ODL is based on the liquidity of XRP.  Now based on their Xpring investments such as Forte, Coil  It's clear that they want to increase this liquidity. They are ramping up different corridors and customers for using ODL. They have invested $50 mil in MoneyGram which works with ODL (which uses XRP). At this point they are deeply invested in making sure XRP succeeds.  

Given the position Ripple is in, ie., no regulatory clarity, huge windfall of capital from XRP sales, SEC,  NDA's and the hostility from the crypto crowd they are not in a position to discuss their position openly. 

This gives a lot of space for FUD to get in. 

One thing I noticed is that when the price seems like it's going down they come out with news to arrest the downward pressure. 

It's a matter of waiting and watching this space to  see what they do.  I believe there are holding price pumping news headlines till the bull market comes back in. 

17 hours ago, Eric123 said:

@Xill agree it is very good for Ripple.  IMHO the fact that the investors didn't obtain any XRP is bad for XRP.  Whose to say that Ripple won't one day abandon XRP entirely -  I would feel better if Ripple investors had an interest in XRP so that there is some support for the project and they are not just invested in Ripple's success. 

I think we have catch 22 here. In order to make XRP utilization high, Ripple must build the whole ecosystem (including regulations, custody solutions, etc.) around it first. Why would institutional investors buy billions of Ripple's XRPs now when the existing infrastructure isn't strong enough to support utilization of billions of XRPs daily (?) Even if the regulations would "come" tomorrow there would not be mad crush to buy XRPs among institutional investors at the moment IMHO. 

This is the XRP II account that Ripple uses to sell its XRP to institutional investors. These days most of the outbound txs seems to end up to Bitstamp and SBI VC.

https://xrpscan.com/account/r9B3osCvQ28Chgv1qKDqwcGkQaDZJf4iqB

17 hours ago, Eric123 said:

Basically Ripple saying we used XRP to capitalize our company now we can move on without XRP.  Our investors own no XRP so they won't care if we abandon it and either use a different token which the central banks or another entity issues or if we use no token at all. 

How come Ripple's investors own no XRP (?) If Ripple owns around 50 billion XRP and Ripple is owned by bunch of investors (holding Ripple stocks) that makes the Ripple stock holders also the XRP owners indirectly. The Ripple's stock ownership is getting more "decentralized" and hence the XRP distribution is getting more "decentralized" in a sense because now there are more Ripple stock owners after this latest funding round. Why would more than 50 % of the Ripple's stock owners vote to abandon Ripple's 50 billions XRPs and start using something else?

19 hours ago, Eric123 said:

@Xill agree it is very good for Ripple.  IMHO the fact that the investors didn't obtain any XRP is bad for XRP.  Whose to say that Ripple won't one day abandon XRP entirely -  I would feel better if Ripple investors had an interest in XRP so that there is some support for the project and they are not just invested in Ripple's success. 

Round C went into Ripple and not XRP. If Ripple release a stablecoin ( see joelkatz tweet ) and the demand from Central Banks for a stablecoin ( ECB with Lagarde etc...) powered by XRP. 

XRP would not be the main goal for Ripple right now because of the regulation. But issuing a stablecoin for central banks could be an other way to make them use indirectly XRP as Xcurrent using XRP too.

Central Banks => Ripple Stable Coin => XRP.

FI's => Xcurrent => XRP

All the roads points to XRP.

The paths and products are differents.

https://coil.com/p/xpring/Ideas-for-the-Future-of-XRP-Ledger/-OZP0FlZQ

https://cointelegraph.com/news/ecb-president-we-better-be-ahead-of-curve-on-stablecoins