Stefan Thomas - Web Monetization: An Alternative to Ads - View Source 2019

3 hours ago, Javim777 said:

With 1 billion XRP donation from Ripple labs he can begin giving free XRP to web publishing guys to get used to the concept. 

Long term good thing, short term more selling pressure on XRP (If the publishing guys do not decide to hold).

All a part of growing pains. The great thing about the collaborative approach Coil has taken is that they've partnered with two platforms (Mozilla and Creative Commons) that have pioneered open-source mediums/platforms as well as helping content creators legally "share their knowledge and creativity to build a more equitable, accessible, and innovative world."  However, even more important is Coil's partnership with Loup Design and Innovation (a leading global marketing and consultancy group) to manage the $100 million dollar Grants For The Web fund and partnerships. Oftentimes many novel ideas are squandered and poorly executed by their visionaries due to the lack of good guidance, strategic planning, and thoughtful execution of such said idea. I think Stefan is going about this the right way sourcing the right talent to scale his vision for a new web-monetization model for content creators. 

Edited by King34Maine

15 hours ago, King34Maine said:

All a part of growing pains. The great thing about the collaborative approach Coil has taken is that they've partnered with two platforms (Mozilla and Creative Commons) that have pioneered open-source mediums/platforms as well as helping content creators legally "share their knowledge and creativity to build a more equitable, accessible, and innovative world."  However, even more important is Coil's partnership with Loup Design and Innovation (a leading global marketing and consultancy group) to manage the $100 million dollar Grants For The Web fund and partnerships. Oftentimes many novel ideas are squandered and poorly executed by their visionaries due to the lack of good guidance, strategic planning, and thoughtful execution of such said idea. I think Stefan is going about this the right way sourcing the right talent to scale his vision for a new web-monetization model for content creators. 

They can partner with the whole world but if people don't take their credit card and pay 5$ fee nothing will happen.

Why they came back to Ripple labs and got a billion XRP? When they left Ripple labs ago They were very sure.

Now coil is just adding more selling pressure. Will the idea succed? Maybe... Until we know for sure a lot of XRP Will be dumped to the market throught coil.

16 hours ago, Javim777 said:

They can partner with the whole world but if people don't take their credit card and pay 5$ fee nothing will happen.

Why they came back to Ripple labs and got a billion XRP? When they left Ripple labs ago They were very sure.

Now coil is just adding more selling pressure. Will the idea succed? Maybe... Until we know for sure a lot of XRP Will be dumped to the market throught coil.

I agree with Javim777.

Stefan at Coil's whole premise for Coil existing is based on a fallacy.  He notes Coil is valuable because it provides an alternate for those not being served by traditional advertising options.  This is not a real problem that needs to be solved, a bigger problem is for the people like us not taking advantage of the existing add generating opportunities with sites like YouTube and Twitch. Competing sites like YouTube and Twitch are dominating the industry: https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/12/twitch-continues-to-dominate-live-streaming-with-its-second-biggest-quarter-to-date/.

The top content creators on these sites are making insane amounts of money off ad revenues, for example check out this breakdown.  The amount of money that can be made via these ad revenues is $100k+ a month, trumping just about every other income source.  

This is while, users like myself can access this content with zero money out of my pocket.  Likewise, Coil is requesting a subscription fee of $5, will will never be able to come close to being able to provide this type of ad revenue stream for content creators.  Resulting in top content creators staying on the ad revenue platforms, which consumers of the content will continue to follow the top content creators that are leveraging these ad revenue streams.

Edited by wogojump

17 hours ago, Javim777 said:

Ripple gave them 1 billion XRP to help them provide the monetary support for both Coil, build the platform, and incentivize the growth and development of a community of content creators to test and build on top of the platform. How did you think "they" (i.e. Coil) were going to obtain funding for their audacious and, I'll admit, risky endeavor? Nothing like this has ever been attempted, at least not at this level. I completely agree with you that this is a very risky business proposition Stefan has embarked upon via Coil. Changing the status quo is never easy, which is why they've enlisted some of the best partners in promoting open-sourced tech/platforms for content creators. 

18 hours ago, Javim777 said:

To your concern regarding the need to reach a larger audience (i.e. Netflix, Amazon Prime Videos, etc.) Stefan mentioned in the extended Ripple Drop episode (01:48 - End) back on September 5th that partnering with larger platform and Internet service providers where you have a Coil bundle as part of your subscription to Netflix, Hulu, Charter, etc. 

2 hours ago, wogojump said:

This is while, users like myself can access this content with zero money out of my pocket.  Likewise, Coil is requesting a subscription fee of $5, will will never be able to come close to being able to provide this type of ad revenue stream for content creators.  Resulting in top content creators staying on the ad revenue platforms, which consumers of the content will continue to follow the top content creators that are leveraging these ad revenue streams.

Interledger 2020: Access

10 hours ago, King34Maine said:

Ripple gave them 1 billion XRP to help them provide the monetary support for both Coil, build the platform, and incentivize the growth and development of a community of content creators to test and build on top of the platform. How did you think "they" (i.e. Coil) were going to obtain funding for their audacious and, I'll admit, risky endeavor? Nothing like this has ever been attempted, at least not at this level. I completely agree with you that this is a very risky business proposition Stefan has embarked upon via Coil. Changing the status quo is never easy, which is why they've enlisted some of the best partners in promoting open-sourced tech/platforms for content creators. 

If they were so convinced about the idea, and can convince investors about the success of the idea , they could go to the traditional funding system, take a credit, risk adventure...  A way bunch a possibilities to get funding.  But no, they reached to the zero dollars, zero risk option, get a billion from Ripple labs. 

This is around $200 millions, 200$ millions... Moneygram got 50$ millions and whole wall street talking about a hugeeeeeee deal. (Again from the free money that ripple labs get selling XRP).

10 hours ago, King34Maine said:

To your concern regarding the need to reach a larger audience (i.e. Netflix, Amazon Prime Videos, etc.) Stefan mentioned in the extended Ripple Drop episode (01:48 - End) back on September 5th that partnering with larger platform and Internet service providers where you have a Coil bundle as part of your subscription to Netflix, Hulu, Charter, etc. 

Sound nice, maybe I am missing something, but why will they take XRP instead of real dollars, they are already in those big platforms(Netflix...)?

On 12/12/2019 at 7:31 AM, Javim777 said:

If they were so convinced about the idea, and can convince investors about the success of the idea , they could go to the traditional funding system, take a credit, risk adventure...  A way bunch a possibilities to get funding.  But no, they reached to the zero dollars, zero risk option, get a billion from Ripple labs. 

This is around $200 millions, 200$ millions... Moneygram got 50$ millions and whole wall street talking about a hugeeeeeee deal. (Again from the free money that ripple labs get selling XRP).

This doesn't even make any sense....LOL!!! If I'm a start-up and I had an investor who was willing to give me 200-250 million dollars in crypto what ******* idiot (pardon my french) wouldn't take that deal?!?! With that being said, as I've mentioned before Ripple has just as much vested interest in seeing Coil's vision come to fruition as anyone.

Wall street reacted to Ripple's MoneyGram deal bc MoneyGram is a publicly traded company and Coil is a small privately held start-up. Also, it was widely known throughout Wall Street that MoneyGram had been experiencing some funding/financial issues of late. When the Ant Financial bid to buy out MoneyGram fell into disarray due to a conflict of interest of a foreign entity having access to the financial records of US citizens many in Wall Street began to predict imminent doom for MoneyGram. However, low and behold, Ripple comes in with a 50-million dollar check to save the day for MoneyGram. Since Ripple's equity purchase of MoneyGram, there has been a flurry of new/extended partnerships for MoneyGram: Canada Post, SentBe, Wal-Mart, Metropolitan Commercial Bank, Visa, ABE of Egypt, SBI Remit, and Pakistani State. Oh, how the tables have turned!!

In many ways, Ripple’s most recent equity commitment with MoneyGram is a bold undertaking by them. I don't think most people fully understand just how audacious of a move on the chessboard this was. Essentially, by acquiring ownership/equity (up to a ~10% stake) in MoneyGram, no matter how small, they have essentially tethered themselves to the success and/or failure of MoneyGram so to speak. If MoneyGram isn’t able to “right the ship” and the company has to file Chapter 11 or worst Chapter 7, one can only imagine what Ripple’s naysayers/competitors will say!! At the end of the day, this is what it's all about; laying it all on the line. Ripple has spent a great deal of engineering resources, millions of dollars, and almost 10 years building, testing, and trialing the various solutions that makeup RippleNet (i.e. xCurrent, xVia, and xRapid). It's a put the hell up or shut the hell up moment for them. With Coil they are doing the same. Putting it all on the line and taking some risks. I think Navin Gupta, Ripple's Managing Director of South East Asia and MENA, said it best at the Bahrain FinTech conference last year (02:16:28 - 02:17:48): "Ripple is not an ordinary company. We're not here to have a small market share...or do X or do Y.....or make a small amount of money. We're here to make a dent in the universe!!" So, there you have it. It is a known fact that to bring about signifiant and fundamental change and "make a dent in the universe" your risk is going to be proportionate and in many cases will need to exceed that which you are trying to changed. There will alway be entrenched interest that will always want things to stay the same. Take Ripple for example, they didn't just by happenstance strike over 300 production contract deals by chance. It took a lot of hard work and dedication to prove the naysayers wrong. Now, instead of running around trying to convince banks to give them a shot. The tables have turned and now banks and FIs are scrambling trying to meet with them. 

With respects to the potential selling pressure of XRP by Coil, you are under the mistaken impression that they're going to immediately dump all of the XRP onto the market. Yes, part of that 1 billion XRP will be sold to help fund day-to-day operations, however, some will be used within the platform itself, and as part of the 100-million dollar Grants for the Web initiative. I think I know what/where your problem lies. Like most, I believe you had an unrealistic ROI (Return-on-Investment) date/time period where you expected the price of XRP to be at XX amount. However, we are still at the beginning of this journey. Ripple has always saw XRP as a catalyst in helping to build out and grow the ecosystem and that is what they are doing with their supply of XRP through investments etc. It is way too early to be getting your panties all in a wad about selling pressure at this stage of the game. XRP is a long-term investment. By long-term, I'm talking years not months. The challenges that Ripple is tacking surrounding cross-border payments and Coil around creating a new payment model for content creators via web-monetization, are monstrous undertakings that are going to be realize over a period of time. So, when you measure the success of these companies you need to do so over increments of 5, 10, 15, 20-years. 

Edited by King34Maine

Keeping a ponzi scheme legitimate in the eyes of the public requires hiding illegal activity behind "obviously" legitimate market behavior. Coil is an adept way to promote the belief than an increase in dumping xrp on retail investors from multiple parties is not a ponzi. Xpring, Coil, courting the IMF, or just being present in the "courts" of financial elites' increases directly or indirectly the rate of dumping which the public will accept. Ripple and xrp will likely become the greatest example of retail fraud in history after an Enron-like implosion. 

On December 13, 2019 at 1:18 AM, King34Maine said:

It is way too early to be getting your panties all in a wad about selling pressure at this stage of the game.

You are wrong on this point. People who utilize and invest in XRP, will make these decisions based on their own thinking. Including taking selling pressure and other factors into consideration. Very few people in the community are going to read and be persuaded by King34Maine's opinions on why selling pressure is not a concern at this time.

In reality you have no control or deciding factor when others are concerned on selling pressure. If others say they are concerned on selling pressure, resulting in XRP declining to trading values to 20, 10, 1, etc. cents. The concerns are not too early, since these concerns are actually existing based on real events.

5 minutes ago, Wandering_Dog said:

Keeping a ponzi scheme legitimate in the eyes of the public requires hiding illegal activity behind "obviously" legitimate market behavior. Coil is an adept way to promote the belief than an increase in dumping xrp on retail investors from multiple parties is not a ponzi. Xpring, Coil, courting the IMF, or just being present in the "courts" of financial elites' increases directly or indirectly the rate of dumping which the public will accept. Ripple and xrp will likely become the greatest example of retail fraud in history after an Enron-like implosion. 

Wow!!!! You make some very bleak and unsubstantiated claims here without providing any context. I guess you should sell your XRP then so you can save yourself the trouble of being affected by the Ripple ponzi scheme. 

48 minutes ago, wogojump said:

You are wrong on this point. People who utilize and invest in XRP, will make these decisions based on their own thinking. Including taking selling pressure and other factors into consideration. Very few people in the community are going to read and be persuaded by King34Maine's opinions on why selling pressure is not a concern at this time.

In reality you have no control or deciding factor when others are concerned on selling pressure. If others say they are concerned on selling pressure, resulting in XRP declining to trading values to 20, 10, 1, etc. cents. The concerns are not too early, since these concerns are actually existing based on real events.

I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything. Just providing my opinnion(s). That statement was more of me underscoring how relatively new this space is and to be getting all bent out of shape over dips and valleys in price at this juncture when use cases are starting to be implemented and/or revealed doesn't make sense. You can be concerned about the price all you want. That's your prerogative. At the end of the day you purchased XRP of YOUR own choice and free will. Ripple did not force you to buy XRP from any exchange. Again, as I stated before in my previous response, Ripple has always viewed XRP as a catalyst to help activate and develop the ecosystem. There are many unknowns and substantial risks involved with investing in crypto.  Nobody likes to see the value of their holdings drop no matter how small the investment. However, I oftentimes find that those who constantly go back-and-forth about the price dropping are usually individuals who invested beyond their means and/or those who didn't understand what they were getting into and blindly FOMO'ed into this space without doing the proper due-diligence. I am not concerned about the price of XRP either way. I know that the amount of money I have invested in crypto overall is but a small fraction of my financial portfolio. Either my bet on Ripple and XRP will prove to be a wise decision or not. Either way, I won't loose any sleep. If you can't say the same, then my friend, you have too much skin in the game. 

Edited by King34Maine

2 hours ago, Wandering_Dog said:

Ripple and xrp will likely become the greatest example of retail fraud in history after an Enron-like implosion. 

See that’s why no one here takes you seriously.  
If you think trying to solve the last part of the worldwide efficiency problem after freight and information...   payments,  is the greatest example of retail fraud then everything else you say is immediately suspect.  You clearly have a problem with Ripple,  and apparently love to come here to try and create fellow travellers. 
I don’t know why I didn’t follow my first instinct and just skip your posts...  I will try to in future.