Sign in to follow this  
xrpthefall

Why are XRP private keys so short

I was generating a private key and was taken aback by how short it is compared to bitcoin and eth keys which are much, much longer 

i know there is enough entropy to make it hackproof but it is funny how its so short 

Hello, and welcome to xrpchat. If you would like to read up on xrp keys this is what I found. https://xrpl.org/cryptographic-keys.html .

If you are searching for technical information ask there. I am not a tech person, just someone who had extra cash and thought xrp might end up being worthwhile. Now I'm sucked in.

actually it's not the private key, 

Seed/Secret:shA2hufwhA7JNC7Cf4GncxTssxzk9

Private Key:p9qYH8iNsJdBnEjGhzpGNUQCqbMTkvwGSTvwP59DWFJbtuuzPg9

Public Key:02F33B15EA6ADC372B2977A148E696636457ED3A7D9039A20CCE78122CBD373983

Address:rhtcQB96CAw9U4i9zjbRggwwG93HSGYVYA

1 hour ago, yxxyun said:

actually it's not the private key, 

Seed/Secret:shA2hufwhA7JNC7Cf4GncxTssxzk9

Private Key:p9qYH8iNsJdBnEjGhzpGNUQCqbMTkvwGSTvwP59DWFJbtuuzPg9

Public Key:02F33B15EA6ADC372B2977A148E696636457ED3A7D9039A20CCE78122CBD373983

Address:rhtcQB96CAw9U4i9zjbRggwwG93HSGYVYA

I hope you don't plan on activating that account... ever... lol

3 hours ago, xrpthefall said:

I was generating a private key and was taken aback by how short it is compared to bitcoin and eth keys which are much, much longer 

i know there is enough entropy to make it hackproof but it is funny how its so short 

How short would you say that a private key for XRPL is compared to Bitcoin? Where did you find this information and what's your general background regarding cryptography?

12 hours ago, xrpthefall said:

The "key" you're presumably referring to (a "secret", in the form "shA2hufwhA7JNC7Cf4GncxTssxzk9") is in fact a kind of double-compressed version of the private key.  Unlike some other systems, the actual private key is not typically revealed to, or directly used by the account owner when accessing the XRPL.

It goes something like this:

SECRET --> PRIVATE_KEY_SEED --> PRIVATE_KEY

That said, due to this methodology, XRPL private keys are in fact *effectively* only 128 bits long, and whilst this is used to derive a 256 bit private key (like Bitcoin), the amount of information going into the derivation algorithm is always 128 bits, so the security of the system, when set up and accessed in this way, must therefore be bound to those 128 bits - unless someone can prove to me otherwise.

So ultimately you may be basically correct in a practical sense, though I'm not familiar with whether commonly-used Bitcoin and Ethereum software employs similar techniques.

Not that it matters, as you may still need conventional computers at galactic scales to get anywhere bruteforcing them.

Something worth noting in this regard is that the XRPL was designed to be modular and upgradable, and it is very easy to swap out the account keying system to something more robust (eg, something quantum-resistant).  This is much more difficult with other systems, making the XRPL overall more secure as it can readily adapt its security.

5 minutes ago, Professor Hantzen said:

Not that it matters, as you may still need conventional computers at galactic scales to get anywhere bruteforcing them.

Something to consider when wondering about XRPLedger security:

For several years now the worlds biggest puzzle prize has been available for anyone who can crack it to claim...   Billions of dollars worth of XRP sitting in Ripples’ widely know addresses ready to be acquired by anyone who can crack the security.

The fact that this bounty has not been claimed speaks to the security strength.

9 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

Something to consider when wondering about XRPLedger security:

For several years now the worlds biggest puzzle prize has been available for anyone who can crack it to claim...   Billions of dollars worth of XRP sitting in Ripples’ widely know addresses ready to be acquired by anyone who can crack the security.

The fact that this bounty has not been claimed speaks to the security strength.

Maybe I know someone 'extraterrestrial' with some quantum tech to give it a go..... just for fun.... stealing is not our 'piece of cake'. :D