VoIP - A Disrupting Technology

Very very nicely written as well!  This analogy fits well with what is happening in the world of banking and finance today. I must say getting to see Ripplenet Home as a "thing" brought it to visual life for me.  Your analogy to the telecom evolution underscores that visual. 

It is upon us no question, and I have a feeling we'll be hearing more about all this in mainstream media as each small milestone passes. 

On a correlative note just happened to read this article, and couldn't help thinking how the eSDR and XRP are a perfect fit for global money flows.

https://www.omfif.org/2019/10/digital-sdr-to-enhance-payment-systems/

It’s a good analogy that has also been made by one of the big player CEOs...  can’t remember who.  He worked in the same area while it happened.  I watched it happen too.

I think the packetising is the secret sauce and exactly what will happen with ILP and XRP.  Ultimately all money will flow as micropayments in packets.

1 hour ago, xrphilosophy said:

Very very nicely written as well!  This analogy fits well with what is happening in the world of banking and finance today. I must say getting to see Ripplenet Home as a "thing" brought it to visual life for me.  Your analogy to the telecom evolution underscores that visual. 

It is upon us no question, and I have a feeling we'll be hearing more about all this in mainstream media as each small milestone passes. 

On a correlative note just happened to read this article, and couldn't help thinking how the eSDR and XRP are a perfect fit for global money flows.

Watching Swell and the Japanese meet up I was struck that the growth and development of Digi currencies and the IoV is now a good story for the media to tell to ordinary people.  Why aren't the MSM at Swell?  When will that sort of publicity arrive?  Perhaps still years away!

The analogy with the digitalisation of  Telecoms is a very persuasive and obvious way to explain what is happening in this space we are all watching.

Edited by Julian_Williams
It’s a good analogy that has also been made by one of the big player CEOs...  can’t remember who.  He worked in the same area while it happened.  I watched it happen too.
I think the packetising is the secret sauce and exactly what will happen with ILP and XRP.  Ultimately all money will flow as micropayments in packets.

There indeed is much anology with Cisco. They litteraly "formed" the unified IP protocol as we know it today by being the first with a line of reliable switches and routers and creating the path for others to follow that Cisco industry standard. Ripple is doing exactly the same now with ILP....
5 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

You're probably referring to Alex Mashinsky  - founder of  Celsius Network ? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Mashinsky

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mashinsky/

21 hours ago, xrphilosophy said:

The following is from this article and I think that it says it all:  (the bold is mine)

"Over time, more central banks could join, and a multilateral institution, such as the IMF, take over management of the eSDR. Alternatively, the technology could be applied in different regions, with another currency basket as the reference point. However, private sector-issued eSDRs may hold more promise for faster implementation of a global solution for cheaper, quicker and more transparent cross-border payments.

An eSDR-based payment network would enable financial service providers to offer efficient, transparent and inexpensive cross-border payment services even for low-value and high-volume use cases. Settlement times and costs should fall substantially, and improved compliance should enhance financial integrity."

22 minutes ago, ringer2 said:

The uncertainty I have doesn’t come from doubting whether IoV will disrupt and even take over the market.  My uncertainty comes from not knowing what that means for XRP’s price. That is less certain. 

I get that.  

It is a risk and anyone playing in this game should do their own risk evaluation and their own research (DYOR).

For me, I will use these Risk rules:

1. Don't risk a lot for just a little
  2. Don't risk more than I could afford to lose
  3. Consider the odd / potential consequences

For now I'm good on all three.....but your point is valid for both 1 and 3.....if the reward is small/little then why risk and for #3 if the odds are not going to play in our favor, then why risk?  $$$  regardless of the jokes most are actually here for the money.  If after 3 years we are still sitting at today's prices, then why did we risk our money for such a small gain? (number 1) 

1 hour ago, Sooner443 said:

It was our very own beloved Brad Garlinghouse who intimated the same about telephone companies never utilizing VoIP.  I've heard him reference it in several interviews and even a podcast over the past several years. Apparently, Brad worked for SBC years ago and some VoiP startup. 

Yep