Sign in to follow this  
WarChest

How Far Can Brad Take Ripple without a Big Hitter?

I Started writing this opinion in another thread  but didnt want to hijack it so. It really is just my opinion and not anything else.

Okay as a follower of XRP for 2 years now, not as long as many of you I know, but I have to take stock and give my summation of where the XRP Ripple thing is.

This my honest opinion and only that, I mean no malace. 

By my reckoning, Ripple will soon need to expand their operation and Gravitas, show it has big credibility.

You cant sell to the big banks as a small time operation, compared to them.

Brad G Is still talking about flying money around in a suitcase and other cliche's.  In My Opinion, That is running out of steam.

To be honest I think Brad is now not a big enough name to take Ripple forward.

He wears a suit to impress a bank or doesn't wear one to appear 'Steve Jobs'.  He tells PayPal that they are much bigger [sic] and he is deferential to be sitting in on the same stage at a convention as them. It's looking a bit small time to me.

Ripple now needs someone that can walk in the room with the big boys and everyone else stops and listens. Some one that asks for a meeting with the very top guys and they think 'oh yes of course, when?'

Ripple can't lift the XRP price by constant sales (which they have now throttled back on). But they need XRP to rise to grow their bank balance.

We keep hearing of Utility and that is right, but I really really think that this cart needs a shire Horse in front and not a mule.

Brad and the owners need to reflect about how old they are now and how long they want to be doffing their caps to the big Ranchers or employ a Marshal in instead of a deputy into town, who will walk into the Saloon and grab a table not ask its ok if he sits down.

I know others will think 'what is this nut case typing here?' But I have worked with hard hitters, they get so far, as we all do, then reach a peak that they can never climb. There is always a group of guys bigger and stronger as you rise the pyramid.

No malice what so ever but I think this needs consideration

I look forward to everyone's views.

2 minutes ago, WarChest said:

I Started writing this opinion in another thread  but didnt want to hijack it so. It really is just my opinion and not anything else.

Okay as a follower of XRP for 2 years now, not as long as many of you I know, but I have to take stock and give my summation of where the XRP Ripple thing is.

This my honest opinion and only that, I mean no malace. 

By my reckoning, Ripple will soon need to expand their operation and Gravitas, show it has big credibility.

You cant sell to the big banks as a small time operation, compared to them.

Brad G Is still talking about flying money around in a suitcase and other cliche's.  In My Opinion, That is running out of steam.

To be honest I think Brad is now not a big enough name to take Ripple forward.

He wears a suit to impress a bank or doesn't wear one to appear 'Steve Jobs'.  He tells PayPal that they are much bigger [sic] and he is deferential to be sitting in on the same stage at a convention as them. It's looking a bit small time to me.

Ripple now needs someone that can walk in the room with the big boys and everyone else stops and listens. Some one that asks for a meeting with the very top guys and they think 'oh yes of course, when?'

Ripple can't lift the XRP price by constant sales (which they have now throttled back on). But they need XRP to rise to grow their bank balance.

We keep hearing of Utility and that is right, but I really really think that this cart needs a shire Horse in front and not a mule.

Brad and the owners need to reflect about how old they are now and how long they want to be doffing their caps to the big Ranchers or employ a Marshal in instead of a deputy into town, who will walk into the Saloon and grab a table not ask its ok if he sits down.

I know others will think 'what is this nut case typing here?' But I have worked with hard hitters, they get so far, as we all do, then reach a peak that they can never climb. There is always a group of guys bigger and stronger as you rise the pyramid.

No malice what so ever but I think this needs consideration

I look forward to everyone's views.

I’m somewhat in agreement with you but it’s a huge decision to change CEOs at this point. A wrong choice or someone of equal talents is a loss in my book.  I also believe ripple is still relatively young and has made incredible moves thus far so it’s not necessarily fair to make this change just yet.  If the other executives have a truly superior person they believe can lead XRP to a higher place, then by all means I hope they make the move soon.

51 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

I am not fan of Brad, but he is the right man for the job.

Yes it is important to get respect when you walk into a room.  Take that point, and yes Brad doesn't stride in and take everyone's attention and I agree his conversation lacks imagination.

Where Brad scores in team management.  The team he has assembled to work under him is pretty much faultless.  It is broad based, experienced, well connected and capable at its job.  The company has also built up a brand image of being competent, open and partner friendly, strategically focused and sensible about money.  These features are a reflection of Brad's management style. 

About time. Ripple are extending their lead and are positioned to take centre position in digital cross border payments.  Nothing is within five years of challenging the position Ripple have carved out for XRP.

Be patient.

To add onto your point. As leader, you either need to be the person that commands the attention or have people around you that command the attention.

I rather have a CEO leading a group of talented/key people than someone like Elon Musk was, trying to run a single man show.

I don't get the impression that Ripple is struggling in terms of management and credibility at all.

You're saying Brad doesn't command attention, but how do you know that he will never command attention?

If Ripple is successful, even partially at what they plan to do, I guarantee you that people will stop and listen when Brad walks into a room.

Ripple is a high risk project. Ripple isn't promoting a tried and true technology. It is promoting something that is still mostly theoretical and experimentory. They're the first company in history trying to use digital assets to do this. So you probably won't get someone that already has a gigantic established reputation willing to take on the risk.  

To dispute your point, this is Brad's chance to become that person that you're saying he needs to be.

Below are the Top Ten on the Fortune 500. Please tell me who the CEO of each one is.  I assume since leadership ability equals notoriety you can name them all off the top of your head without issue?

1. Walmart

2. Exxon Mobil

3. Apple

4. Berkshire Hathaway

5. Amazon

6. UnitedHealth Group

7. McKesson

8. CVS Health

9. AT&T

10. AmerisourceBergen

The only way one could really know if Brad commands attention or not would be to actually work with him at Ripple. Most of us on here don’t. I wouldn't make that kind of judgement based on his media interviews. Some of the most successful leaders (Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, ect) are awkward public speakers and don’t exactly come across as suave or polished in their interviews. We don’t want a used car salesman running Ripple. But rather someone that knows what they are doing and knows how to assemble a great team.

23 minutes ago, Gorgalosk said:

you can name them all off the top of your head without issue?

1. Walmart 

Doug McMillon

2. Exxon Mobil

Darren Woods

3. Apple

Tim Cook

4. Berkshire Hathaway

It's on the tip of my tounge

5. Amazon

Jeff Bezos

6. UnitedHealth Group

I'll pass

7. McKesson

Nope

8. CVS Health

:-(

9. AT&T

Randall Stephenson

10. AmerisourceBergen

This is too American for me

I was bored

I was stunned when I looked at Brad Garlinghouse's twitter page.  233,000 followers.  Someone is paying attention to what he is saying.  I had never looked at the number, and was thinking maybe 20k?

I understand the OP's point about the talking points.  But that is a communications effort which can be resolved with slightly different messaging.

The suitcase thing is old for you and me, but I'm sure not to many, even in the financial industry.  Heard the first time it can resonate. 

Some fresh and refreshing talking points can be manufactured in order to leverage what Ripple the company and XRP are in motion of doing right now, that's not terribly hard, but it does have to be grounded and clever.  I thought the recent ad for Runs on Ripple was a great step in the right direction. 

Although he does take a deferential stance in his tone and presentation I have always felt that serves his and Ripple's mission well. After all, a lot is being disrupted in this entrenched legacy space, and the last thing one wants is the hubris of say, the CEO of Western Union.  Better careful than cocky. Friendly than fiery.

Brad is not holding Ripple, XRP price, nor the internet of value back.  He has taken it this far, and it would only be reasonable to see if he can finish the job.  If he ends up on a sex tape somewhere then maybe someone else can take over. It's not broken, let's not fix it.

The only guy I can think of that can take Brad place is John Chambers,  Brad and company are doing exactly what Chambers did in the early 90s with Cisco Systems and managed to get the global recognition by the early 2000s.  Infact Cisco became one of the world most expensive company at the time.

Brad may not have the influence and star appeal that Chambers has but I believe he can get the job done he is young and is very determined 

Edited by tony71

Sign in to follow this