Spam? suspect BTC payments on XRPL

grafik.thumb.png.f55d801755058c33413495d10c798cee.png

every hour:

open 2 new accounts

build trustline for 100 BTC

send 50 BTC to one of the 2 new accounts

The "Master" has 1061 connections and each of these 1061 accounts is linked to exactly one account

and those 2 accounts are sending 0.019 BTC back and forth every 2-4 minutes burning 0,000012 XRP

transaction costs rise, as we can see in "older" ping-pong accounts

grafik.png.d055c3b8489187f00068e148157e9205.png

Someone with big bags who wants to burn XRP?

Possibility to "double" or "earn" BTC or XRP (bug?)?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think this is spam at all. If you look at the transactions, you see many transactions that pay well over the minimum transaction fee. Here's one that burned 0.01 XRP. This means that the sende

Perhaps someone is testing the capabilities of the XRPL now Lightning network appears to suck. Suspicious in a bad way or something we should applaude?

7213/589 = 12.24  Obviously this means XRP will be $589 on Christmas Eve.

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, xSODAx said:

grafik.thumb.png.f55d801755058c33413495d10c798cee.png

every hour:

open 2 new accounts

build trustline for 100 BTC

send 50 BTC to one of the 2 new accounts

The "Master" has 1061 connections and each of these 1061 accounts is linked to exactly one account

and those 2 accounts are sending 0.019 BTC back and forth every 2-4 minutes burning 0,000012 XRP

transaction costs rise, as we can see in "older" ping-pong accounts

grafik.png.d055c3b8489187f00068e148157e9205.png

Someone with big bags who wants to burn XRP?

Possibility to "double" or "earn" BTC or XRP (bug?)?

But why? Tell me on what planet does this make sense? 

22 minutes ago, BAX said:

And what is the purpose of all this?

Are they not losing money by spamming?

What do you think is all that?

one of the famous spamming account on XRPL is rfe8yiZUymRPx35BEwGjhfkaLmgNsTytxT, send a lot tx with big size memo data, for no purpose, cause the biggest ledger in XRPL history, over 1500tx in one ledger, to stop him, ripple rise the min fee to 0.012XRP .

then ripple use one year write new fee mechanism.

another spam action use a bug of the new fee mechanism of XRPL, rise the fee to 1XRP ~ 50 XRP per tx, then ripple fixed the bug.

recently is a tool can be used upload file to the ledger, use big size memo data.

this is the just another spam.

the purpose? spam the ledger. of course they are losing money by spamming, but the fee on XRPL is too low, with few money they can send a lot spam txs.

Edited by yxxyun
3 hours ago, codiusrex said:

What is the value of spamming the ledger in terms of XRP?

Yeah that’s a very good question.  It’s pretty weird.  ( I haven’t looked at it myself...  and I’m not any good at looking, so I’m just going on what folk here have said. )

Clearly there ARE entities out there that loathe XRP and would actively try to disrupt it.  Some of them have huge crypto resources to employ in that effort.

So the purpose of a spam attack on a network is to degrade its functioning to cause disruption.  Often for extortion but also often just for the malicious act itself.

In this case it looks like an attempt to spam and degrade that has actually failed because the network can easily handle it.  So why continue it?   That’s the very weird part.

At times I’ve wondered if it’s part of some pre-production stress test,  but it seems odd to just let it run without changing any parameters and no negative effect becoming apparent.

One day someone may clarify what this was all about.  Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, yxxyun said:

well, without spamming txs, and ignore those path_dry failed txs, the real on-ledger activity is too low.

Ah yes thanks for clarifying.  Yeah I think I’m gonna start saying ‘we had crypto winter and now it’s crypto coma’.  :) 

ODL is still clearly minuscule.

On 11/20/2019 at 5:56 AM, Coolio said:

I think it is no spam. In my opinion a real company is building btc on xrpl.

Wonder that until now no one has bought the 100 BTC.
https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/markets/BTC:rpJZ5WyotdphojwMLxCr2prhULvG3Voe3X/XRP?interval=1d&range=3m&type=line

Why would anyone sell 100BTC for 32k XRP? Could this be some kind of ripoff? If someone executed this trade, would the BTC be fully redeemable at their gateway of choice (i.e Gatehub)?