Sign in to follow this  
youngdude

Quantum Supremacy Achieved, Cryptography Impacts?

Every form of cryptography currently in use is vulnerable to this, the entire banking system could be taken out within minutes if the mathematics of on/off and a third state of both on and off could be used in a practical setting. The solution for safeguarding against these attacks will probably come from the blockchain community, Ripples investment in universities is actually targeted at stuff like this.

Now, imagine basing the distribution of assets on hashrate in this scenario (Proof of work) versus proof of consensus where you can update the algorithm of all nodes within minutes.

Edited by mandelbaum

This was discussed by David Schwartz. I'm to lazy to look up the exact quote. Here is the best I can do from memory. If measures are taken now for security, which do exist, and entered into the code for xrp, we will be stuck with those measures. A better option is probably a wait and see in the sense that security against quantum attacks, will evolve as the implementation and usage of quantum computers evolves. It sounds like measures exist, but it may be to early. The doubled edge sword is what happens when you are to late. I would be more worried about getting into a car accident tomorrow, than the security threats posed by quantum computers.

Another note is that when quantum computers do come into existence, everyone's security will be at risk.