Roaring_Twenties

Live from DC Fintech Week 2019 in D.C.

Listening to Jay Clayton, Chairman, Securities and Exchange Commission. 
Clearly very guarded on the topic of things that can be both a commodity and a security. Talking only about financial assets and not crypto at the moment. I’ll see if I can ask about XRP if I get the opportunity.

Brad Garlinghouse follows him.

8B7A92E4-FE7C-44C3-B971-2B38F14305D1.jpeg

Would love to find a record of the live stream for this as I did get to ask my question to the SEC Chairman and would love for you to see his response. I asked “will” and “when”. As Brad Garlinghouse follows you I’ll ask this question: Will the SEC make a ruling on XRP and if yes, when might that be? He answered for about 60 seconds but he basically didn’t answer the question and said that he really couldn’t (but I don’t know why).

I was going to ask Brad: As the global economy is experiencing a liquidity crisis as evident by the Federal Reserve pumping billions to assist in liquidity, could this be the catalyst for truly launching XRP usage? I wasn’t able to be called on in asking my question by the moderator but another person asked a like question. Brad said he could see XRP as a part of the solution.

If someone can find a record of these two live streams that will give the clearest information.

EFEF7516-1982-448F-A6DE-F1DDC2E61794.jpeg

1 hour ago, Roaring_Twenties said:

Would love to find a record of the live stream for this as I did get to ask my question to the SEC Chairman and would love for you to see his response. I asked “will” and “when”. As Brad Garlinghouse follows you I’ll ask this question: Will the SEC make a ruling on XRP and if yes, when might that be? He answered for about 60 seconds but he basically didn’t answer the question and said that he really couldn’t (but I don’t know why).

I was going to ask Brad: As the global economy is experiencing a liquidity crisis as evident by the Federal Reserve pumping billions to assist in liquidity, could this be the catalyst for truly launching XRP usage? I wasn’t able to be called on in asking my question by the moderator but another person asked a like question. Brad said he could see XRP as a part of the solution.

If someone can find a record of these two live streams that will give the clearest information.

EFEF7516-1982-448F-A6DE-F1DDC2E61794.jpeg

Here's a replay of the live stream featuring Brad courtesy of Alex Cobb. Not sure how true this is but the second responder congratulates Brad on reaching 400 customers or 400 new customers!!!

Edited by King34Maine

Thanks @King34Maine.

Yeah I heard that but hadn’t heard it before the person in the audience said it so I guess it was announced earlier in the day or sometime. I was reluctant to mention the “400” here because Brad really didn’t respond to it and I didn’t really understand why. I wish he would have, perhaps it will be big and bold at Swell.

4 minutes ago, Roaring_Twenties said:

Thanks @King34Maine.

Yeah I heard that but hadn’t heard it before the person in the audience said it so I guess it was announced earlier in the day or sometime. I was reluctant to mention the “400” here because Brad really didn’t respond to it and I didn’t really understand why. I wish he would have, perhaps it will be big and bold at Swell.

Well, I'm thinking that information was most likely something that Ripple wanted to keep under wraps. It was almost as if Brad became a bit stoic when she said it. If it was mentioned earlier in the day, I would've expected quite a bit of news and/or articles covering it by now. 

2 hours ago, Roaring_Twenties said:

Thanks @King34Maine.

2 hours ago, strikerjax said:

I don’t think he’s nervous...  I just think he would like to say more but his rules and procedures prevent that.  

The fact that he’s talking about an enforcement action immediately after XRP is asked suggests to me that Ripple might be in for a small rap on the knuckles,  but his response didn’t at all seem to suggest a big bad news day coming for XRP.  Nor (and I think this was deliberate and doesn’t necessarily reflect what he knows will happen...) did it suggest that it’s settled and XRP is clear.  However a great many other things seem to suggest that.  

So this response is a wash as far as I’m concerned,  but I’m strongly of the opinion that XRP is not going to be ruled a security by the SEC.

Really glad I made the effort to get to the event yesterday and that I was fortunate enough to be called to ask Chairman Clayton the question.

Thanks @strikerjaxfor finding the clip and to all for feedback on what his answer means. I tried to be clear and direct in my question (if and when) unlike the moderators academia style of questioning...in hopes of getting us a clear and direct answer from the SEC.

Also glad to see Brad addressed the 400 number. It’d be nice to learn its actually north of that number at Swell.