JoelKatz

Suggestions for XRP Ledger enhancements

Hi @JoelKatz and team. Great to have you here.

The suggestions you have already put forward are all worthy of time and effort. My suggestions are more user orientated rather than the more technical / business nature of what has been proposed. 

An earlier post asked about Ripple name for accounts. I would take this further and create the ability to link accounts to one or more verified and more user friendly third party identities. E.g. email, phone, Facebook etc. And by verified I mean you can't just add any email, phone you have to verify it from that account / device.

Obviously this would create security concerns as I wouldn't want anybody to look up my balance by knowing my email. So functions should be restricted to send / receive. The aliases should also be encrypted on the ledger so you can't match an alias to an address. This combined with the check feature (as in you can choose to only accept checks) you suggested can ensure people cannot easily work out who owns accounts. 

You could then send xrp to friends / shops in a more familiar way. Way less intimidating than current addresses. 

I appreciate this needs more thought to work through some obvious flaws, e.g. send a transaction to an email and search which address receives it. But you get the drift.

Another suggestion is to enable a test that the destination address is correct. Ping a destination address without sending xrp. The owner of the destination can confirm receipt with a message. Obviously some protection is needed so this feature can't flood the ledger, maybe a limit of 1 ping per x minutes per address doing the ping. 

I'll have a think about more business orientated functionality and get back to you.

22 minutes ago, madToo said:

An earlier post asked about Ripple name for accounts. I would take this further and create the ability to link accounts to one or more verified and more user friendly third party identities. E.g. email, phone, Facebook etc. And by verified I mean you can't just add any email, phone you have to verify it from that account / device.

You can always start an external service to do this. I don't think all validators should be able or capable of verifying these private data.

David,

What are your thought about pull-payments, payment initiated by i.e. a merchant to a subscriber.  (I can not tell you how i hate that i had to subscribe to COIL via credit card)

use cases:

as a 'SME'  I want to 'monthly' pull subscription(s) fee's from a member

As a member i want to sign to subscribe and unsubscribe for 'monthly subscriptions.

impact (TBD)

-Account Flag to be added to a XRP account for users that want to allow subscription services (Default optout)

-Signing services on a account : i.e. subscription for amount X, per period, until end date

-Pull Services to receive the payment (as a Merchant) - same process as Escrow.

2 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

You can always start an external service to do this. I don't think all validators should be able or capable of verifying these private data.

I don't disagree with your statement you can certainly achieve this to some degree externally. For instance I'm surprised the Exchanges i use don't have an address book feature. Setup your accounts once then select when transferring. 

The benefit for on chain is for the feature to be standard and not limited to the same wallet or exchange or walled garden. Your friends / business can use various wallets and or exchanges (For exchanges it needs to also handle tags)

If you want this on-ledger, every validator (of which there can be hundreds/thousands) would need access to your private data and to verify your identity. How many hundred confirmation links are you willing to click or have them call you on your private phone number?

2 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

If you want this on-ledger, every validator (of which there can be hundreds/thousands) would need access to your private data and to verify your identity. How many hundred confirmation links are you willing to click or have them call you on your private phone number?

You don't do hundreds of transfer requests for all validators to record the transaction. So not every validator should need to validate the alias. Possible interaction with codius could assist here - and yes I know codius is not on ledger? Their are definitely technical hurdles to overcome with this suggestion and it may not be viable. That shouldn't stop the exploration. Sometimes the most stupid idea becomes the genius idea. The key for that to happen is to challenge how it can happen, not to dismiss it without trying.

3 minutes ago, madToo said:

You don't do hundreds of transfer requests for all validators to record the transaction.

Because everything about the transaction is public. Not everything about personal information is public AND you want to have the link between personal data and other on-ledger information stay private (there is already support for adding encryption keys, domains and avatars to accounts on-ledger by the way, just unverified).

4 minutes ago, madToo said:

The key for that to happen is to challenge how it can happen, not to dismiss it without trying.

The key thing for an idea is to propose a concrete or at least realistic implementation plan. For example you think that codius could help there. Please concretely state how Codius would help in this case. To me this whole thing sounds not viable and just mentioning random technologies (what about quantum computing? what about self-sovereign identities? smart contracts? cloud computing? AI?) is something that also plagues IT in general, giving "blockchain" a bad name. Otherwise I have a nice Onion talk for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

15 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

Because everything about the transaction is public. Not everything about personal information is public AND you want to have the link between personal data and other on-ledger information stay private (there is already support for adding encryption keys, domains and avatars to accounts on-ledger by the way, just unverified).

The key thing for an idea is to propose a concrete or at least realistic implementation plan. For example you think that codius could help there. Please concretely state how Codius would help in this case. To me this whole thing sounds not viable and just mentioning random technologies (what about quantum computing? what about self-sovereign identities? smart contracts? cloud computing? AI?) is something that also plagues IT in general, giving "blockchain" a bad name. Otherwise I have a nice Onion talk for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

My last note on the subject as this thread does not require our debate. Happy to continue via DM if you wish. Great video though thanks :)

I still have to read all, but I don't see anything about the DEX of XRPL.

What's the future plan about it? I think we need a way of advertising it, or it should be killed completely (less resources usage).

I'd like to see a suggestion topic focused on the DEX, thanks.

Another suggestion to discuss IMO: what about stealing more recent consensus algos such as StellarSCP and LibraBFT?

About LibraBFT, does it make sense to use that instead of fixing/improving current consensus?

It requires less validators to be honest, and allows up to 1/3 of validators to be Bizantine to still provide safety and liveness. It's not a huge improvement from 80-20%, but 66-33% is not bad. Also it takes into account explicitly the network delay, and it has other nice features.

One topic that isn't in this list are improvements for user privacy. In particular, it would be nice to be able to move from pseudonymity to true anonymity if one needed to. The easiest way to do this would be to implement ZeroCoin on the XRP ledger, where the anonymity set corresponds to the total number of zerocoins. I believe that this has been implemented on Ethereum, but I haven't tested it. Most other forms of proposed anonymity are weaker.

Here are two use case scenarios:

1. Lets say you have a "work" account where you get paid in XRP, and that you would like to transfer this to another "savings" account that groups together all your other sources of income. You might not want people (like your boss or HR) to do a chain analysis to link these two accounts to find out how much money you really have. With zerocoin, you could transfer money from your work account to zerocoins, and then redeem the zerocoins in a different, unlinked account.

2. Lets say I want to give a blogger a tip, but I don't want them to know how much money is in my account. You could transfer the tip to zerocoins, and then redeem the zerocoins into the bloggers account.

Note that chain analyses would still show how much money a given account sent to zerocoins, and it would also show how many zerocoins were redeemed to the other account. Everything is still transparent (unlike zerocash): it is just impossible to link one account to the other.