Sign in to follow this  
Slik

Tourist use case

1 hour ago, Julian_Williams said:

David Schwartz is well known for his honesty and intelligence, he also is in the best position to know how the system will work when it starts to get adopted.  There have been many threads debunking your point of view which does not stand up to much scrutiny.  We do not need a re-run just for you.

Punt?  Every investment is a punt if you do not do your own research.

I find your comments very low value, verging on dim.  For this reason I have ignore usered you, so please don't bother to extend this conversation.  I think I speak for most of the rest of the readers when I say your comments are more boring than sceptical.

Agreed and I’ve taken like action to avoid the noise.

6 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

David Schwartz is well known for his honesty and intelligence, he also is in the best position to know how the system will work when it starts to get adopted.  There have been many threads debunking your point of view which does not stand up to much scrutiny.  We do not need a re-run just for you.

Punt?  Every investment is a punt if you do not do your own research.

I find your comments very low value, verging on dim.  For this reason I have ignore usered you, so please don't bother to extend this conversation.  I think I speak for most of the rest of the readers when I say your comments are more boring than sceptical.

Thanks for saying what I (and many others, I'm sure) have been thinking when reading that gibberish.  His user ID alone is a pretty good indicator of what we can expect in terms of value added....:drinks:

4 hours ago, RippleHerToShreds said:

Me too, nothing worse than a dim-witted Fanboy that can't see the bigger picture - he's probably still hodling his bag that is a Dollar under it's mean buy price.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Edited by PhiGuy

12 hours ago, JBW said:

What do you need cash for? Just use your debit / credit card.

When I pay with my debit card in a foreign currency, my bank rips me a new one with the not-related-to-reality currency conversion rate they invent.  It's often tantamount to a 5% to 7% cost.  Then there's fees.  So I'm clobbered with fairly much a 10% cost to transact.  I'd love to have an xVia app that I used at the OP's hotel reception that allowed me to pay in my local currency and the hotel receive CAD in their bank account, confirmed and settled in a few seconds for a negligible few cents cost (ding! "the payment's arrived, enjoy your stay!").  That's the future.  How long it takes to get there - who knows.

edit for clarity: don't think "I want hotels to accept XRP".  DO think: "I want an app on my phone that allows me to pay anywhere in my local currency, with XRP as the bridge between my local currency and the foreign currency that the vendor receives in his bank account". 

Edited by 2ndtimearound

19 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

I never sensed the term "bankers coin" was anything but good, or that Ripple objected to the term.  It always was the regulated fiat to fiat bridge currency coin for fiat to fiat transfer.  Since last year the horizons for XRP have expanded, not contracted, especially as we have begun to understand the bankers coin will provide new opportunities such as streamed liquidity and micropayments across borders.  Ideal for opening up unbanked markets and many high tech industries as well as traditional industries like media, insurance and games.

What all this stuff about "only works behind the scenes and has no street value".  Perhaps you are trying to say that XRP will be so well integrated into the system that it will be under the bonnet of modern technology, and out of sight.  Yes that is true, just like we do not see the processors in our computers or engines under the bonnets of our cars.  But the engines in our cars and processors in our computers are high value business.    XRP is a high value asset for carrying money across borders, the more it carries the higher its price has to be.

The second half of your analysis is so off the wall it is not worth commenting on.

Good job of selectively editing my post to help make your point. 

In 2018, the term Banker’s coin was the kiss of death, especially for crypto coin that promises to bypass the greedy bankers to help redistribute wealth to unproductive nations. My how times have changed.

I guess we will simply have to wait and see if a coin that cannot buy a single item in any country, can also be highly valued by the citizens of every country. 

What is the new target date for mass adoption??? Are we looking to 3-5 or 5-10 years from now? Seems this date moves faster than ILP’s consensus method.

My how times have changed.

You are making things up:  A year ago fuddists were putting out a campaign that XRP was a "banker coin".  This fud was targeted at reaching anti establishment Bitcoin investors who still hoped Bitcoin would one day make banks redundant.  Ripple and the XRP community never saw this fud term as abusive because from the start the XRP community have understood that XRP success will is dependent on working with the establishment, regulators, banking and FIs.  Nothing has changed in the last two years, Ripple and XRP community continue to work with the establishment to set up a DA that will be used by bankers and the FIs

Where things have changed is amongst the Bitcoin community who have pretty much given up any pretence that their slow, expensive un-scalable token will have any use in banking or retail.  Bitcoin is now sold as a store of value for the rich - hardly the target market of the founders.

I guess we will simply have to wait and see if a coin that cannot buy a single item in any country, can also be highly valued by the citizens of every country. 

Again you are creating straw man: You know very well that XRP is designed as a digital Asset to carry money from fiat to fiat.  You know it is not designed to be a retail token, and you also know that the developments in XRP DA has opened up huge new potential markets in streamed micropayments which might end up to be worth even more than the trillions in traditional cross border payment markets.  This includes for the unbanked in underdeveloped countries. Your comment that XRP does not buy things in the retail market is irrelevant to XRP's success. Your point is irrelevant to any sensible investor watching for progress in their investment.

What is the new target date for mass adoption??? Are we looking to 3-5 or 5-10 years from now?

Steve Jobs estimated it would take a year to design and get Apple Mac on the market.  In the end it took three years.  The 100 times bigger ambition of disrupting the multi trillion dollar a day financial cross border markets was never scheduled to happen in a day, a year or five years.  It was always going to take time.  The signs are that Ripple is already positioned to take a sizeable slice of this market when digitalisation happens. Digitalisation is inevitable.

Your posts are getting more cranky.  Perhaps it is time for you to go somewhere else because on this forum people have already cottoned on that you are only serious about spreading anti XRP FUD and have no interest in constructive discussion about the potential of their investments.

Edited by Julian_Williams

10 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

Steve Jobs estimated it would take a year to design and get Apple Mac on the market.  In the end it took three years.  The 100 times bigger ambition of disrupting the multi trillion dollar a day financial cross border markets was never scheduled to happen in a day, a year or five years.  It was always going to take time.  The signs are that Ripple is already positioned to take a sizeable slice of this market when digitalisation happens. Digitalisation is inevitable.

^^^^^ THIS!!!  ^^^^^

14 hours ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

What is the new target date for mass adoption??? Are we looking to 3-5 or 5-10 years from now? Seems this date moves faster than ILP’s consensus method.

???

XRP is a bridge asset.

Its use case isn't to buy coffee directly with XRP. 

Its use case is to bridge two fiat currencies to make cross-border payments faster and cheaper.

The idea of crypto being a replacement to fiat is a very difficult argument to make.  Nano and Bitcoin maximalists seem to be stuck on this argument (I do hold some Nano by the way!). 

On 9/15/2019 at 4:56 PM, ringer2 said:

If you want XRP to be a good investment, you will need to stop wishing it to also serve as a retail currency. Because appreciating assets, which would make it a good investment, also make it a terrible retail currency.  So no, it is not a good use case unless you don’t want to make any money off of XRP. 

Zinger.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:14 AM, 2ndtimearound said:

???

XRP is a bridge asset.

Its use case isn't to buy coffee directly with XRP. 

Its use case is to bridge two fiat currencies to make cross-border payments faster and cheaper.

The idea of crypto being a replacement to fiat is a very difficult argument to make.  Nano and Bitcoin maximalists seem to be stuck on this argument (I do hold some Nano by the way!). 

XRP isn't a bridge asset. If you can't make more of it you can't settle with it. Reference the gold standard.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:48 PM, Julian_Williams said:

David Schwartz is well known for his honesty and intelligence, he also is in the best position to know how the system will work when it starts to get adopted.  

This sounds awfully religious. DS's basic understanding of econ is poisoned by out of date concepts. 

7 hours ago, Wandering_Dog said:

XRP isn't a bridge asset. If you can't make more of it you can't settle with it. Reference the gold standard.

It's being used as a bridge asset right now, settling transactions using xRapid - so I'm afraid reality doesn't resemble your statement.  Reality is awkward sometimes.  

Printing more units of something just dilutes the value of each individual unit.  Read up on the purchasing power of any fiat currency (all are subject to increased circulation). 

As for a fixed circulation asset such as XRP, a single unit can (and here's the magic) gain in value if it's bidded up on exchanges. Therefore, XRP can bridge higher values if each individual unit has a higher value, AND the exchanges xRapid uses has the necessary liquidity. 

Not about number of units, dog!

7 hours ago, Wandering_Dog said:

This sounds awfully religious. DS's basic understanding of econ is poisoned by out of date concepts. 

Any three economists can give you four differing opinions.  You have one.  So does he.  That nearly sounds like a belief rather than a science.  But you state yours as though they are incontrovertible facts...   which is bold if not foolhardy.

What’s that old joke?   "An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow,  why the things he predicted yesterday,  didn't happen today."