Sign in to follow this  
BruceWhale

Sibos 2019 Discussion

The panel descriptions involving Ripple seem very promising. However, I am completely desensitized to wishful thinking and potential 'catalysts'. 

Fingers crossed some progress is made.

SIBOS is an event organised by SWIFT - even if Ripple are attending it is highly unlikely (and would be particularly bad form) if Ripple would make any kind of announcement.

If Ripple are going to announce anything, they are more likely to do it at their event (Swell) in November.

I think we need to recognise that:

1. Ripple "announcements" will have no impact on the price of XRP - Moneygram for example was a significant partnership and did nothing.

2. It is not in Ripple's interest for any announcement to have an impact on the price of XRP - it suggests they have an element of control over the price.

2 hours ago, googie said:

1. Ripple "announcements" will have no impact on the price of XRP - Moneygram for example was a significant partnership and did nothing.

2. It is not in Ripple's interest for any announcement to have an impact on the price of XRP - it suggests they have an element of control over the price.

I rather think that good news actually WOULD have an impact on price, but they counter-sell XRP to level out price again. Of course you can say this is nonsense, it's however the only logical explanation as of why good news have no impact whatsoever on price.

2 minutes ago, panmores said:

I rather think that good news actually WOULD have an impact on price, but they counter-sell XRP to level out price again. Of course you can say this is nonsense, it's however the only logical explanation as of why good news have no impact whatsoever on price.

I have another logical explanation: we have not yet seen any good news at all.  For years already. No certainty about the legal status of XRP in the USA, no proof that XRP will actually be used  mainstream. That means that, for all we know, the project can still blow up in smoke. Tried, failed. Still waiting for the confirmation of actual usage, and seeing proof of that on the ledger.

22 minutes ago, panmores said:

I think there's some truth in that (tinfoil hat is fully on).

Ripple may not want to admit it but liquidity is the issue and it needs to be built slowly.They don't want prices to shoot up overnight.

If, for example, Mastercard said tomorrow, "we are definitely going to use XRP for all settlement on our shiny new system", there'd be a mad rush of people buying XRP. Price goes up. People then take profits and sell. Price goes down.

XRP then looks like a volatile asset, investors stay away. Media cries "scam" and Ripple have a problem.

Still ... to have a keynote speech at worlds most important finance event is good. Mind you, this is a SWIFT event.

two years ago Ripple organized Swell at the exact same moment as Sibos for a reason.

a lot has changed and the fact that Ripple has a stage on a Swift owned and organized event is positive and shows the claimed position in the industry.

no speculation. 

Edited by CryptoGerrie

For those not interested in clicking the article to read the supporting information:

Wednesday 25 September 10:45 - 11:15 GMT
Navin from Ripple will be doing a presentation titled “The future of cross-border payments – Transforming remittances with digital assets“.

Wednesday 25 Sept 11am GMT
Bank of England + Accenture + banco santander will discuss the potential of DLT and if we can adapt RTGS with digital currencies

"Exploring wholesale digital currencies and various applications through DLT"

Thursday 26 1pm GMT

Todd McDonald from R3 will discuss "Capitalising on Blockchain's third wave - Tokenisation, payments and atomic settlement"

Join R3’s co-founder and Chief Product Officer to find out why the dawn of DIGITAL ASSETS is NOW

These all seem like a pretty big deal to be presented at THE Swift conference of the year. I look forward to seeing what comes from this event.

Thanks again @JannaOneTrick for originally pointing all of this information out!

Wouldn't be expecting explosions from this event. Ripple were there last year as well, and it was... Lackluster, to say the least. Didn't help that people here hyped it to the roof and were expecting a partnership between Ripple and SWIFT to be announced.

With that being said, the event is really big and there are a lot of discussions that revolves around the issues that Ripple are targeting, so I really recommend to keep an eye on the event if that is something that interests you.

How people laugh at these events just because the price is stagnant is beyond me. Any development now is likely to be crucial in defining the winning horses, be it cbdc's, xrp or any other type of digital asset. This is it. Win or lose and people cry lame? I for one am stoked regardless of the exact content and direction this goes for xrp.