Yakuni

Ripple’s XRP Escrow is Officially Under 50 Billion XRP

46 minutes ago, Yakuni said:

Hey fuddsters, are we decentralised yet? 

Escrow might be below 50% of total supply, while all Ripple holdings are far from it.

Also, I believe the statistic considers only xrp that's currently in Escrow, not the xrp that's been released from escrow this month and from part of might yet be returned to the escrow. So it's debatable if the escrow is actually below 50bln.

Also, not a fudder, if something I said was wrong, please correct me.

Tin foil hat on. By the time a court case takes place for security Ripple will hold less the 50%, SEC will declare that if a company has less than 50% then a token is a non-security. This allows for true commercialization of xrp. And now a ridiculous price prediction 5890.00 by December!!!

Tin Foil hat off as xrp holder: I'm glad we are getting closer to a point were Ripple holds less than %50 in escrow. This could bring clarity to the SEC's position, but regardless it lessens the likely hood of XRP being declared a security as a majority will no longer be in their hands. This can also drive sentiment for investors/speculators.

Thanks for the post O.P.

9 hours ago, Yakuni said:

We would need to further define what exactly is "decentralized".  Even after defining, being decentralized will most likely not be a black and white concept.  Rather there will be some areas that are more "decentralized" as compared to other areas.

Technically, XRP has a infrastructure setup to support decentralized growth.  There are other non technical factors that impact if XRP is truly decentralized, when considering the broader definition of decentralization. When looking at current state with Ripple and XRP, I would say there is still a lot more work to be done before being very decentralized.  Ripple has a large percentage of XRP and will continue to in the next few years.  The success in the next few years are going to be heavily correlated with Ripple's decisions of selling XRP and where to invest these funds into projects.  The next few years for determining XRP success, will primarily be based on Ripple's decisions and not other stakeholders.  Most other stakeholders like institutions and retail investor will have very little direct control over these success factors in the next few years.

Based on this I would say XRP has at least a few more years, before XRP is truly more decentralized, as compared to being more centralized.

Edited by wogojump

1 hour ago, invest2lose said:

good thing you're not the one making decisions at ripple.

I’m sure Ripple has to be very careful on spreading the “liquiditay.”  Otherwise it would turn out to be like Bitcoin n China. Additionally, the total supply isn’t a lot with #GLOBAL ADOPTION, & #XRP THE STANDARD:big_boss:

Edited by ZerpTidalWave

If decentralization is measured in the amount of nodes or validators in the hand of one person or entity the XRPL is decentralized. If its measured in holding the amount of coins by one person or a group then it is not. But neither is BTC, ETH or Fiat for that matter... and probably never will be.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/13/half-world-wealth-in-hands-population-inequality-report

Edited by Caracappa

4 hours ago, Caracappa said:

If decentralization is measured in the amount of nodes or validators in the hand of one person or entity the XRPL is decentralized. If its measured in holding the amount of coins by one person or a group then it is not. But neither is BTC, ETH or Fiat for that matter... and probably never will be.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/13/half-world-wealth-in-hands-population-inequality-report

This has always been true and will always be true for wealth. However 50% of the world wealth being with 1% of people is better than 50% of the wealth being with 1 entity.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:44 PM, Archbob said:

Escrow is 49 billion

Ripple the company itself has 7.5 billion

Garlinghouse and Larsen's private holdings are another 7.6 or so(that is not counted in Ripple's company holdings)

Plus Jed's 5 Billion, so not much is really out there on the market.