eXtRaPolate

Building on the XRPL

I'm hoping to gather some additional information for possible future use. 

I've been invested in XRP for well over two years. I understand very thoroughly what the XRP token is built for with regards to remittances, bridging assets, etc. 

My question is: Is it possible to build on the XRPL to utilize the inherent security that it offers without using it specifically for handling payments transactions? More of transfer of information securely. Is this more of a blockchain specific feature? I'm wondering if I can tie some coding (C++) directly onto the ledger or would I have to develop the coding for what I was looking to do and handle payments separately over the ledger...? 

My coding experience is VERY limited, but it is something that I might commit a lot of time and energy into. I'm just gathering information at this point. Feel free to "dumb it down" as much as possible here... I assure you that I will take no offense. 

Additionally, I attempted to email the company about this last week, but have yet to receive a response. Probably because of my general lack of knowledge in this area. 

Thank you in advance for any pertinent information!

I'm not sure I understand the original question. If you want to know if the XRP Ledger can be used for things other than bridging assets... of course it can! So can many systems. It may or may not be that the XRP Ledger is the best (or even a good) way to accomplish something, but you'd have to be more specific for me to clarify what can and can't be done.

The XRP Ledger is not intended for storage of arbitrary data, so the existing transaction types and interfaces do not make it easy to do that sort of thing, but it technically can be done. There are probably plenty of things you could piggy-back onto the XRP Ledger network, like public key rotation, broadcast messaging, etc. As always, the question is, is it economic and socially responsible to do so? And unless I know more about what you have in mind, I can't really clarify.

Huge thanks to @mDuo13 and @Picard78 for the information (and an honorable mention to @Flintstone for the guided direction). This actually answers all of my current questions with regards to what I am attempting to accomplish. I don't want to disclose too much just yet, but it is definitely economically and socially responsible. I'm attempting to fix a publicly used system that is long due for an overhaul. 

Thanks again!