Scenario: Ripple Goes Public

Hodor

From the way I read Brad's words they will one day do and IPO. 

They will not be in the first wave. 

The vanguard of first wave will begin in the next twelve months

So I would guess he is thinking the second wave is at least two years down the line.

The biggest shareholders at the moment are also the biggest owners of XRP, so I cannot see them selling out before XRP is fully established - which I think will happen over the next two years.

ODL is the crown jewels of Ripple Labs.  It is what distinguishes Ripple from every other cross border payment company

SBI have a 10% (?) stake in Ripple, and Kitao is very big on Ripple and ODL.

These scenarios of Ripple being sold soon to a group of investors who's main aim would be to pull out money for short term gain just does not make any sense to me.  If they have an IPO it would be to get huge wealth to finish the job they have started.

Ripple XRP are set to be the Google of Cross Border payments.

Edited by Julian_Williams

Another thing that lurked in the back of my overly optimistic mind was the faint possibility that the XRP of Ripple might be eventually placed in a pool for the global good...  say the IMF for instance.  This could play into Ripples self interest if they have a mission and long term thinking.

If the company goes public that becomes even more unlikely.  Which means that you will now have a purely profit driven entity with a giant pile of XRP.  That’s less than desirable in my opinion.  

It makes it a weighted toss up between selling fast and loose to take short term profits,  or a less profligate husbanding of the flock of XRP to gain long term.  But with short term having the weight in its favour.

If I sound a bit down about this news it’s because I am...  it’s not a guaranteed loss of my hopes and dreams for Ripple (and therefore indirectly XRP,) but it’s decreased the chance of them having forward thinking executives long term in my opinion.  Bugger.

I predict that if it does happen there will be a wholesale turnover of staff in fairly short order.  Basically a reboot.

Just now, gamblin310 said:

You guys don't understand how IPO's work. The company issues ADDITIONAL shares and sells them in the IPO. It doesn't mean the management team sells their own shares to the public.

But typically there are either gifted bonuses or options to buy at reduced cost.  Don’t worry... they will do very nicely out of it all.

What I can’t figure out is WHY Brad would say what he did. 

Id like to think he and others at Ripple respect the community’s intelligence enough to understand the reaction it would cause. He and the rest of Ripple are going to have to answer questions Non-stop about this until the IPO actually happens.  I imagine it will also make the OTC sale of xrp more difficult. 

28 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

Another thing that lurked in the back of my overly optimistic mind was the faint possibility that the XRP of Ripple might be eventually placed in a pool for the global good...  say the IMF for instance.  This could play into Ripples self interest if they have a mission and long term thinking.

If the company goes public that becomes even more unlikely.  Which means that you will now have a purely profit driven entity with a giant pile of XRP.  That’s less than desirable in my opinion.  

It makes it a weighted toss up between selling fast and loose to take short term profits,  or a less profligate husbanding of the flock of XRP to gain long term.  But with short term having the weight in its favour.

If I sound a bit down about this news it’s because I am...  it’s not a guaranteed loss of my hopes and dreams for Ripple (and therefore indirectly XRP,) but it’s decreased the chance of them having forward thinking executives long term in my opinion.  Bugger.

I predict that if it does happen there will be a wholesale turnover of staff in fairly short order.  Basically a reboot.

XRP is the common property of the XRP ecosystem and community.  Ripple gave birth to the ILP and XRP ecosystem.  XRP has to be independent of Ripple if it is to be adopted as a replacement for SWIFT.  Regulators will force them to give up ownership of such a huge proportion because otherwise their position would be monopolistic and offensive to the International community who would not tolerate Ripple continuing to control an asset on which World economic system was dependent.   

I presume this issue would have to be dealt with before an IPO was issued.

I think the owners of Ripple are already so rich that they will not be thinking of making quick money when they sell their shares, it would be part of a long term strategy. An IPO would be part of the unfolding of the next phase of its development.

17 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

XRP is the common property of the XRP ecosystem and community.  Ripple gave birth to the ILP and XRP ecosystem.  XRP has to be independent of Ripple if it is to be adopted as a replacement for SWIFT.  Regulators will force them to give up ownership of such a huge proportion because otherwise their position would be monopolistic and offensive to the International community who would not tolerate Ripple continuing to control an asset on which World economic system was dependent.   

I think the owners of Ripple are already so rich that they will not be thinking of making quick money when they sell their shares, it would be part of a long term strategy. An IPO would be part of the unfolding of the next phase of its development.

There is no such thing as "so rich" 

2 minutes ago, Staigera said:

There is no such thing as "so rich" 

Some people love money, and behave very badly when they get rich, never being satisfied that they have enough  Others become more generous and become less greedy and even humbled by the experience of being rich.

I think Chris Larsen's is already showing himself to be the latter sort, giving money to his old university and being charitable .  Kitao is a visionary unaffected by personal wealth. 

2 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

This insight and @Tinyaccount‘s ‘optimistic’ one makes me wonder whether Brad is floating the IPO idea to draw regulators and others Into committing to a position and actions that reflect  somewhat more integrity. 

Currently Ripple’s script is being recited in all sorts of public forums but the company name rarely gets a mention. Meanwhile, XRP is the crypto that no one dare mention. The dance is just getting a bit silly   

Maybe Brad is just sick of the bullsh!t and has done something designed to focus the minds of the players. As the saying goes, at some point there comes a time to put up or shut up. 

4 hours ago, Johno said:

This insight and @Tinyaccount‘s ‘optimistic’ one makes me wonder whether Brad is floating the IPO idea to draw regulators and others Into committing to a position and actions that reflect  somewhat more integrity. 

Currently Ripple’s script is being recited in all sorts of public forums but the company name rarely gets a mention. Meanwhile, XRP is the crypto that no one dare mention. The dance is just getting a bit silly   

Maybe Brad is just sick of the bullsh!t and has done something designed to focus the minds of the players. As the saying goes, at some point there comes a time to put up or shut up. 

For the attention of the regulators and institutional investors.  I think this is a signal that the price of XRP is far too low and needs to rise.

For the attention of the regulators and institutional investors.  I think this is a signal that the price of XRP is far too low and needs to rise.

Being public funded, it will be obvious that XRP is an asset with a use case and critics of "investors" being lured into false security funding through XRP will fade away. This will give Ripple much more freedom in positioning and active promoting the real value of XRP.