Mpolnet

SBI to Pay Shareholder Dividend in XRP

36 minutes ago, Mpolnet said:

Thanks. Interesting tidbit. I do have some SBI shares.. but I think SBI VC is only open to Japan Nationals for registration at the moment though..

3 minutes ago, richxrp said:

Thanks. Interesting tidbit. I do have some SBI shares.. but I think SBI VC is only open to Japan Nationals for registration at the moment though..

I think you're right as it relates to SBI VC only. Will be interesting to see what impact this has on price. I'm guessing they're holding a set number of XRP to distribute to shareholders come distribution dates. The article implies distributions are based on amount of XRP and not dollar amount. I would guess if they're distributing 30 XRP to shareholders (with more than 100 shares) that they wouldn't want to go out to the open market and purchase the XRP, pre distribution dates, but would rather hold it and distribute as needed. If the latter is the case then it would reduce the available supply of XRP. Regardless, this is a huge plus as it helps the bootstrapping and distribution of XRP. 

2 hours ago, NightJanitor said:

I really like this kind of thing;  it's classy and full of old school charm.  American companies used to honor their shareholders with a perk or two, too - but not many do, today.

This is a great future use case, by the way.  Visionary, all the way!

I am hoping this type of strategy is applied to the American market as well (directly by Ripple and/or through Ripple's partners).  I am much more impressed and confident in SBI's actions lately as compared to Ripple's.   SBI is proactively building real trust with all of their stakeholders, while Brad is resorting to tactics with bashing concerned stakeholders via twitter posts, further stirring up arguments between loyal followers and concerned stakeholders: 

4 hours ago, Mpolnet said:

Thanks for sharing! 

I think people don't realize how large this could be; SBI's customer rolls are massive, and the company estimates that over 8 million could make the switch to trading crypto.  (slide 118: https://www.sbigroup.co.jp/english/investors/disclosure/presentation/pdf/180628presentations.pdf)

2 minutes ago, Hodor said:

Thanks for sharing! 

I think people don't realize how large this could be; SBI's customer rolls are massive, and the company estimates that over 8 million could make the switch to trading crypto.  (slide 118: https://www.sbigroup.co.jp/english/investors/disclosure/presentation/pdf/180628presentations.pdf)

Thanks sharing as well! I agree this could potentially be huge and is another mechanism for bootstrapping XRP into the wild. Not to mention the recent SBI VC promotional giveaway of XRP. 8MM x 30 XRP = 240MM XRP potentially distributed to shareholders (not including the VC trade promotional event). I'd be curious to know if SBI is currently sitting on this ~240MM XRP in order to distribute. If so, one could argue that current circulating supply is less 240MM (back of envelope approach), which means the true inflation rate of XRP is actually much lower given all 240MM XRP won't be distributed all at once and is currently not available for use in cross border payments or trading on exchanges. 

Additionally, if SBI begins to utilize XRP in the Money Tap app, this is potentially a great way to get XRP in the hands of millions prior to launching Money Tap's utilizing of xRapid for remittances. 

So each shareholder will get 30 XRP regardless of whether they own 100 shares or 1 million shares. What do you think people are going to do with their XRP? I guessing the majority of them will just think it's a gimmick and forget about them. I mean $7.50 worth of XRP isn't going to motivate most people to open an account on an exchange or learn about XRP use cases. I think it's great that SBI is trying to teach at the public about XRP, but I don't expect too much out of this.

4 hours ago, xrp_sea said:

So each shareholder will get 30 XRP regardless of whether they own 100 shares or 1 million shares. What do you think people are going to do with their XRP? I guessing the majority of them will just think it's a gimmick and forget about them. I mean $7.50 worth of XRP isn't going to motivate most people to open an account on an exchange or learn about XRP use cases. I think it's great that SBI is trying to teach at the public about XRP, but I don't expect too much out of this.

This

9 hours ago, Hodor said:

Thanks for sharing! 

Old fashioned slides... I like the style

Teaching the public at this stage about XRP is ACTUALLY an excellent way to get this ball rolling.  If it doesn't sprout leaves above the ground, it definitely is growing the roots under.   Otherwise, who else would begin or even have a good chance at succeeding.  True, that airdrops are usually gimmicks but it does work, and especially if SBI is the one doing it and the receivers are people with disposable income.

Let's assume that 10% of the 8 million customers actually take a quick look at XRP ... blah blah blah ... how many relatives and friends would they casually talk to about this?