VanGogh

Brad Garlinghouse Responds to FUD (Litigation, XRP Sales, Etc.)

38 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

That, is how you build echo chambers.  I find your mindset disturbing, to say the least.
It is the same mindset that screwed over so, so many investors in the past.  You say you do not put blind trust in Ripple, but I am starting to doubt if that is really the case here.  After all, it appears you are not interested in criticism, or a good discussion.

You want to see your faith confirmed. 

Your discussions are whiny, and you put words in people's mouth that they do not say. I don't see any reason to further discussion with you. There's simply no value in it. 

14 minutes ago, cryptoxrp said:

But what happens if there are to many ‘railcars’ and not enough ‘rails’... The ‘railcars’ lie idle and rust away.... if rail or a highway is to be used in an efficient manor than THE AMOUNT OF RAILCARS / CARS MUST BE DIMENSIONED TO THE RAIL / HIGHWAY CAPACITY.

An overproduction of railcars/cars/xrp into a limited ‘utility environment’ will lead to.....PROBLEMS. This isn’t rocket science. :crazy:

Yep , they only have 2 or 3 xrapid corridors. At this point in time there are literally no rails laid.

But he is not saying Dharma is doing anything with XRP. They are helping building the business with XRP, as an investment. And Dharma perhaps has something Ripple, the XRP ecosystem or crypto in general needs.

It's like Ripple investing recently in that AML/KYC company or whatever they were good at (can't come up with the name). Not everything uses XRP, but some things are needed or can benefit an ecosystem.

We'll see if it pays out in the long run! Some investments fail, others might work.

Google Ventures invested in Ripple remember? I don't get advertisement after every transaction I make...

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Freaky said:

Yep , they only have 2 or 3 xrapid corridors. At this point in time there are literally no rails laid.

Maybe this will help with your incessantly "challenged" perspective. Imagine that every FI partnership that Ripple has acquired, is akin to having secured an easement, or a right of way upon which to build out the future corridors.  Not all of them will ultimately be built upon, but the ground work is clearly being laid. Keep up the "good work" Freaky, as you seemingly have a negative comeback for every bit of progress discussed on these boards. At least you're consistent. And as for cryptoxrp: how on earth can your vision of what Ripple is in the process of doing, be so myopic? Are you really so near sighted as to not see that the amount of xrp necessary to support the liquidity necessary to efficiently carry the projected future load, needs to be greater than the current demand? You're right, this isn't rocket science and yet imho, you're both failing miserably. 

Edited by WuWei

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, VanGogh said:

Your discussions are whiny, and you put words in people's mouth that they do not say. I don't see any reason to further discussion with you. There's simply no value in it. 

Indeed. You do not want to ask difficult questions, so there is no point at all.
I am not surprised at all that you got in around 2017-2018. You fit the profile, to say the least.  

Edited by Parabellum

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

Indeed. You do not want to ask difficult questions, so there is no point at all.
I am not surprised at all that you got in around 2017-2018. You fit the profile, to say the least.  

Good, just to be sure, I'll put you and your patronizing facade on ignore. P.S.: I don't believe you were here as long as you say you were. If you had been, you would have gotten in before that roughly 30,000% gain XRP made in early 2017, or at least you didn't invest and are bitter about it. You're here as a troll, IMHO.

Edited by VanGogh

2 minutes ago, VanGogh said:

Good, just to be sure, I'll you and your patronizing facade on ignore. P.S.: I don't believe you were here as long as you say you were. If you had been, you would have gotten in before that roughly 30,000% gain XRP made in early 2017, or at least you didn't invest and are bitter about it. You're hear as a troll, IMHO.

Check my account age. And that's after XRPtalk was taken out of the air, where I had one too. You can thank Huracan for that, as he insisted on nuking the XRP hub back then.
I joined on the same day this board was made, if you really want to know. 

You are part of the gullible cohort that joined later on. The discussion above showed that much, and I will not waste further time on you. You will get burned more often in the future, as you have the wrong mindset. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

What are your thoughts on digital fiat currency (whether it be fiat stablecoins like Tether, True USD, Paxos, etc. or Central Bank Digital Currencies) and how they will potentially impact XRP (be it a positive or negative impact)? Do you believe this will help XRP fulfill it's use case of being a bridge asset between different fiat currencies? What impact will JP Morgan coin (and potentially future bank stablecoins) have on XRP and it's ability to deliver on it's promise?

What are your thoughts on the below valuation methodology? Do you view this approach as rational for trying to understand the various levers of how digital assets may accrue value? What other valuation methodologies do you think are applicable to valuing a digital asset?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a479ee3b7411c6102f75729/t/5cc4ad03f5a50f00010525e7/1556393220303/Value+Capture+and+Quantification_+Cryptocapital+vs+Cryptocommodities_Final.pdf

How might the value of XRP be affected if it's used as a means of exchange for digital in game assets such as skins or game items? Do you think there are any negative (or positive ramifications to this use case)? Do you think ILP will help or hurt XRP's future value?

Hopefully these questions will lead to meaningful discussion. Genuinely curious to hear what you (and others) think.

EDIT: I think it's also critical to point out that there's a major difference between total supply, circulating supply, and available supply. For example, current circulating supply shown is 42,9232,866,967 however, I know my XRP holdings are on my nano ledger so the XRP and are therefore not available for others to trade or use in cross border payments. This would indicate that available supply is actually less than circulating supply especially given that most people here are holding their individual XRP positions. Hope this clears the air a bit. 

Edited by Mpolnet

11 hours ago, Parabellum said:

you will have noticed them making 180's, and falling drastically short of the expectations the company itself creates.  

Yep, it’s written in their ever expanding product line.  No traction with objective A., so they move on to B., C., etc.  They need to fail and surrender their relationship with XRP so that it can be free at once.  

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Mpolnet said:

What are your thoughts on digital fiat currency (whether it be fiat stablecoins like Tether, True USD, Paxos, etc. or Central Bank Digital Currencies) and how they will potentially impact XRP (be it a positive or negative impact)? Do you believe this will help XRP fulfill it's use case of being a bridge asset between different fiat currencies? What impact will JP Morgan coin (and potentially future bank stablecoins) have on XRP and it's ability to deliver on it's promise?

What are your thoughts on the below valuation methodology? Do you view this approach as rational for trying to understand the various levers of how digital assets may accrue value? What other valuation methodologies do you think are applicable to valuing a digital asset?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a479ee3b7411c6102f75729/t/5cc4ad03f5a50f00010525e7/1556393220303/Value+Capture+and+Quantification_+Cryptocapital+vs+Cryptocommodities_Final.pdf

How might the value of XRP be affected if it's used as a means of exchange for digital in game assets such as skins or game items? Do you think there are any negative (or positive ramifications to this use case)? Do you think ILP will help or hurt XRP's future value?

Hopefully these questions will lead to meaningful discussion. Genuinely curious to hear what you (and others) think.

First off, I think that fiat like stablecoins have an overlapping usecase which will automatically lead to more competition. It is one of the reasons why I said above that the clock is ticking. In the past, I perceived XRP's position and usecase to be way less threathened - and leaps and bounds ahead. That situation has come to an end and competition has become a real thing to take into account. Mind you: if the negatives were to outweigh the positives, I would have liquidated all my XRP. Fortunately, we are not there yet, although the picture is surely less rosy than a few years ago.

Valuation is a tricky business that is opague and hard to get a handle on, but that is my view and only my own. You for sure could call it lazy in nature. For me, the sheer fact that so many variables work into it makes it hard to even give a bandwith on what for example XRP may be worth in the future. All of this remains untested theory until we see it unfold before our eyes. Which is why the next few years are so important, as that period will have to confirm the value proposition in itself. For me, valuation comes second: I first want to see the usecase to be clearly confirmed to even venture into that part. It is at this point all speculation that is besides the point. After all, we won't logically reach this station until after XRP - to stay limited to XRP here - takes off.

Lastly: ILP is an important part here. When ILP was announced somewhere around 2015, it was received harshly in my memory, and people saw it as Ripple straying away from what it should be doing. I had a similar idea back then, but it turned out to be highly shortsighted.  Without the ILP, the XRPL is unlikely to get succesful in my view. 

Edited by Parabellum

32 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

Check my account age. And that's after XRPtalk was taken out of the air, where I had one too. You can thank Huracan for that, as he insisted on nuking the XRP hub back then.
I joined on the same day this board was made, if you really want to know. 

You are part of the gullible cohort that joined later on. The discussion above showed that much, and I will not waste further time on you. You will get burned more often in the future, as you have the wrong mindset. 

To be fair, most of the xrp community is part of the gullible cohort.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

First off, I think that fiat like stablecoins have an overlapping usecase which will automatically lead to more competition. It is one of the reasons why I said above that the clock is ticking. In the past, I perceived XRP's position and usecase to be way less threathened - and leaps and bounds ahead. That situation has come to an end and competition has become a real thing to take into account. Mind you: if the negatives were outweigh the positives, I would have liquidated all my XRP. Fortunately, we are not there yet, although the picture is surely less rosy than a few years ago.

Appreciate the response. I agree that stablecoins are somewhat overlapping in terms of use case but utlimately I think they will help lower spreads in cross border payments, which could help XRP become more efficient. Candidly (and this is my personal view) I think XRP still has a competitive advantage over stablecoins for the reasons being 1) there still needs to be a central counterparty that holds fiat deposits to back the stablecoin and 2) I don't foresee in the near future the US central bank accepting and holding deposits in Chinese Yuan stablecoin given the value of the stablecoin is pegged to the fiat currency which can be manipulated (as we've seen china do twice in the last 5 years). 

Point #1 brings us back to today's current issues of Nostro/Vostro accounts, which is just an inefficient use a capital. Even if XRP isn't fully utilized in all cross border transactions it can still rise significantly in price simply by eliminating all current nostro/vostro holdings. That's $10T locked up currently that would opt to use XRP. Per statements made in the past the total cross border payments market is something like $150T so if XRP only captures $10T (which is ~6% market share) it still represents a massive opportunity. And this is only one use case. 

Just my thoughts and appreciate you sharing yours.

Edited by Mpolnet
Spelling

24 minutes ago, Mpolnet said:

Candidly (and this is my personal view) I think XRP still has a competitive advantage over stablecoins for the reasons being 1) there still needs to be a central counterparty that holds fiat deposits to back the stablecoin and 2) I don't foresee in the near future the US central bank accepting and holding deposits in Chinese Yuan stablecoin given the value of the stablecoin is pegged to the fiat currency which can be manipulated (as we've seen china do twice in the last 5 years). 

Yes, it does, if only because it is still better positioned for now. The thing is that the fiat party we know is a party whose members are governments, not private entities. I simply wonder how likely it is to see governments agree on a private solution beyond their control. Do you see them giving that up for a solution that is not of their design?

Point #1 brings us back to today's current issues of Nostro/Vostro accounts, which is just an inefficient use a capital. Even if XRP isn't fully utilized in all cross border transactions it can still rise significantly in price simply by eliminating all current nostro/vostro holdings. That's $10T locked up currently that would opt to use XRP. Per statements made in the past the total cross border payments market is something like $150T so if XRP only captures $10T (which is ~6% market share) it still represents a massive opportunity. And this is only one use case. 

Yes, but ask yourself the question to what extent other solutions out there can provide a fix for this very problem. In the past, it sometimes looked like only XRP could tackle this problem. That idea is gone on this side, due to increased competition. And yes, a small part of the pie (the thing most level headed XRP investors talked about in the past, not god damn world domination) is the big prize in my eyes. But so far, XRP only managed to get some crums. It is not good enough, but there's time left.

3 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

Yes, it does, if only because it is still better positioned for now. The thing is that the fiat party we know is a party whose members are governments, not private entities. I simply wonder how likely it is to see governments agree on a private solution beyond their control. Do you see them giving that up for a solution that is not of their design?

Yes, but ask yourself the question to what extent other solutions out there can provide a fix for this very problem. In the past, it sometimes looked like only XRP could tackle this problem. That idea is gone on this side, due to increased competition. And yes, a small part of the pie (the thing most level headed XRP investors talked about in the past, not god damn world domination) is the big prize in my eyes. But so far, XRP only managed to get some crums. It is not good enough, but there's time left.

To your first point, I think it's important to remember that the XRP ledger is an open permission less ledger so I think should soften government's perspective on it. If multiple governments jump on board I think this only helps convince the governments who haven't opted in to join since they'll see no one government has control but companies and citizens within each country may be benefiting from utilizing the technology. I think using XRP (an open permission less ledger) is a more viable solution than accepting deposits in stablecoins created by governments (which is a private centralized ledger). No government will relinquish control to another government willingly but I think if they all opt to use an open and fair system that's main function transferring value and verifying who is transferring value, it wouldn't impede on each individuals government's control over the monetary system in that country. Just my thoughts. 

To your second point, I 100% agree that other solutions are coming out but competition leads to innovation and Ripple has a head start given it's current partners. I would think that the partners who are switching over from legacy systems and spending millions of dollars upgrading and integrating to RippleNet aren't going to sit back and watch their investment (into this new system) go to waste. The other key component is liquidity. And right now XRP is the most liquid digital asset that has the settlement speed to facility it's payments use case.