panmores

Is anyone making (even a little bit) money with Coil?

9 hours ago, ledgerobserver said:

It would help if you'd tell me where I'm wrong :)

If you say 100 thousands you are multiplying one thousand (1000) by 100. So I don't get why 100 millionths you are DIVIDING one millionth by 100 instead of multiplying it. 100 millionths is = 100 x 0.000001 = 0.0001. In one hour it is 60x60x0.0001 = 0.36$. If you have 1M viewers for 1 hour it's actually 360k $. Not bad imo.

But I don't get why people cannot decide the price for their stream and it's instead decided by coil. I'd pay much more for hodor reading than alexcob reading.

6 hours ago, tulo said:

If you say 100 thousands you are multiplying one thousand (1000) by 100. So I don't get why 100 millionths you are DIVIDING one millionth by 100 instead of multiplying it. 100 millionths is = 100 x 0.000001 = 0.0001. In one hour it is 60x60x0.0001 = 0.36$. If you have 1M viewers for 1 hour it's actually 360k $. Not bad imo.

But I don't get why people cannot decide the price for their stream and it's instead decided by coil. I'd pay much more for hodor reading than alexcob reading.

That seems odd, since one millionth > one billionth. So I'd assume that 1 millionth > 100 millionth > 1 billionth.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ledgerobserver said:

That seems odd, since one millionth > one billionth. So I'd assume that 1 millionth > 100 millionth > 1 billionth.

How can in the world be 1 millionth > 100 millionths? Substitute "millionth" with anything and it doesn't make any sense.

Is 1 apple > 100 apples? Is 1 dollar > 100 dollars?

BTW yes 1 milionth > 1 bilionth. And 1 thousandth > 1 millionth. So 100 millionths are closer to one thousandth.

Edited by tulo

2 hours ago, tulo said:

How can in the world be 1 millionth > 100 millionths? Substitute "millionth" with anything and it doesn't make any sense.

BTW yes 1 milionth > 1 bilionth. And 1 thousandth > 1 millionth. So 100 millionths are closer to one thousandth.

Umm, sorry but that is how place value works on the right side of the decimal point. One millionth is most definitely larger than 100 millionths. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tulo said:

In mathematics these are called "fractions", more precisely "denominators". Let's follow your suggestion and substitute with anything. We assume we have two numbers a and b, which we substituted for 100 millionth and 1 millionth. Now here comes the twist:

Let's say 1/a = x and 1/b = y with a > b, then follows x < y.

This implies, the bigger a gets, the smaller x gets. English isn't my mother tongue, but to my best knowledge one tenth of "something" is "something" * 1/10.
That's the hole clue if you talk about 100 millionth and 1 millionth. Let a = 100000000 and b = 1000000, then x < y still holds. We are describing the denominator.

Edited by ledgerobserver

13 hours ago, ledgerobserver said:

This implies, the bigger a gets, the smaller x gets. English isn't my mother tongue, but to my best knowledge one tenth of "something" is "something" * 1/10

Yeah so 3 tenth of something is "something" * 3/10 which is bigger than something * 1/10.

Source: PhD in engineering.

Source 2: type "100 millionths" in google.

11 minutes ago, tulo said:

Yeah so 3 tenth of something is "something" * 3/10 which is bigger than something * 1/10.

Source: PhD in engineering.

Source 2: type "100 millionths" in google.

Oh now I see what you're pointing at. So this is actually a language thing: "a 100 millionth of" is different from "100 millionth of" (in 4 magnitudes), right?
I think to detect this subtlety my English wasn't good enough, thanks for your patients. 

Moreover, is there a source for OPs claim already?

On 8/28/2019 at 3:42 PM, ringer2 said:

Umm, sorry but that is how place value works on the right side of the decimal point. One millionth is most definitely larger than 100 millionths. 

:nea:

It seems really hard to get anything noticed on coil.  Most of the people that subscribe are XRP supporters, so naturally that's what they want to hear about, and if you can't link a post to the Ripple subreddit because it's off-topic I've found that you don't get nearly as many coil micro-payments.  If you have a relatively popular post it can get feature on trending for a while, but that only lasts a few days and there's no way to search for topics that you're interested in to find posts that are off of the front page.  The new post section also doesn't seem to rank posts by the amount of upvotes, so a one paragraph hello world is treated the same as a post with a lot more effort put into it.

To make this simple.....

1 millionth is the portion of the whole for example if you cut an Apple in to 1 million even pieces then 1 piece of that would be 1 Millionth.  if you took 100 pieces you would have 100 millionth (yes more)

If you took a same sized apple and cut it into a billion pieces (yes that would be very small - even smaller than 1 millionth) then 1 billionth would be smaller that 100 billionth.

So 1 millionth IS larger that 1 Billionth   

Edited by itcdominic
spelling sux

As a creator, you’d earn 105 USD/month if all of the currently active Coil-subscribers were to engage with your content for five minutes every month. You’d need 80 000 Coil-subscribers each spending five minutes on your content every month to earn 2400 USD/month (equivalent to a 15 USD/hour salary).

I wrote up some more examples for creators and subscribers alike. I also wrote about payout ratio breakdowns, subscriber figures, and comparing how the service works to Flattr (they’ve been pushing a similar business model for web monetization for the last two years).

Bonus: a link to a list of all Web Monetization-enabled websites included at the bottom of the article.

Edited by Duck
added more information