Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 6:11 PM, dr_ed said:

Good way to dispose of a billion XRP without moving markets and hurting hodlrs. It's pure genius, from that perspective alone.

And I keep intending to start a new blog on Coil. I got so far as signing up...This summer has been a dry spell for me and my writing, about cryptos and everything else.

This post is a call to action.....not that I have content that anybody would necessarily pay for....but I LIKE the Coil model and I hate the sh!t out of Google at this stage of the game. And I need to start writing again, for my own reasons..like impending old age....lol.

Sites like Google make significant revenue off of ads per user.  The content creators will gravitate towards the solution that provides the most revenue for their content.  In order for Coil to have a competitive business model, they will need their consumers to pay equivalent subscription fees to make up for the loss in ad revenues, in order for them to stay competitive.  Google is estimated to make around ~7$ per month per user: https://www.marketingcharts.com/advertising-trends-77000. Then you need to consider this is just for Google, which you also need to consider revenue streams for every other site you access.

You may personally hate Google enough to dish out additional $7 a month to use the site without ads.  Majority of consumers will not be paying $7 a month just to use Google without ads (or a competitors search engine).  This is just for Google, then imagine all the other websites that are based off of ads.  The consumer will have to pay way more than $7 a month to use all online content with out ads.

I know myself and majority of other consumers are not going to be paying 20$+ a month to use the internet with out ads.  Lets say Coil's current subscription model becomes the standard for accessing the internet in the future (which hopefully it doesn't), we would see a huge decline on internet use.

Coil's business model is currently broken, they will need to make drastic changes in order to be successful in the future.

Edited by wogojump

18 minutes ago, wogojump said:

.  Google is estimated to make around ~7$ per month per user:  

The consumer will have to pay way more than $7 a month to use this content with out ads.

The second part does not follow from the first part.

You like Google? Google "logical fallacy".

There are several varieties of logical fallacies...this one fits perfectly in the category known as a "hasty generalization". 

I for one, would love for Coil to engage with all the print, news, and journal media that now tracks your viewing of articles and limits it to only one or two articles per month. If, for example, they got a significant number of the major publishers on board, then a Coil subscription would be worth it to selectively read a story or an article that interests me, without having to have a subscription to any one specific journal/paper/magazine.  The same could be said for books or movies, whereby if I started one and then found it not to be of interest to me, then I wouldn't be out for the entire price, but for only the portion that I  had "consumed". It's going to take some time, but this, imho, is where the future is heading.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wogojump said:

Sites like Google make significant revenue off of ads per user.  The content creators will gravitate towards the solution that provides the most revenue for their content.  In order for Coil to have a competitive business model, they will need their consumers to pay equivalent subscription fees to make up for the loss in ad revenues, in order for them to stay competitive.  Google is estimated to make around ~7$ per month per user: https://www.marketingcharts.com/advertising-trends-77000. Then you need to consider this is just for Google, which you also need to consider revenue streams for every other site you access.

You may personally hate Google enough to dish out additional $7 a month to use the site without ads.  Majority of consumers will not be paying $7 a month just to use Google without ads (or a competitors search engine).  This is just for Google, then imagine all the other websites that are based off of ads.  The consumer will have to pay way more than $7 a month to use all online content with out ads.

I know myself and majority of other consumers are not going to be paying 20$+ a month to use the internet with out ads.  Lets say Coil's current subscription model becomes the standard for accessing the internet in the future (which hopefully it doesn't), we would see a huge decline on internet use.

Coil's business model is currently broken, they will need to make drastic changes in order to be successful in the future.

You are quite right; no one is going to pay $7 a month to remove the sponsored adds from their Google searches.  You are wrong to suggest that Coil's business plan is dependent upon removing sponsored ads from search engines.  Where did that idea come from?

You are missing the elephant in the room:  Coil is about providing a direct connection between supplier and another user in another country anywhere in the world.  The connection is a conduit through which streamed money with a throttle control flows from the user to the supplier.  Forget about Google, forget about adverts,  and concentrate on the essence of what Coil have invented.  Then you will see it is a revolution not an alternative to advertising.

So many people suggesting Ripple have bunged their ex CTO with three times the amount of money they spent on Moneygram as some sort of favour to an old colleague.  Look what happened; Stefan Thomas resigned his position at Ripple to set up a new company to provide the software for micropayments using XRP innovations and the ILP.  I am guessing, but I believe it was a joint decision in the board room of Ripple to set up a separate company for micro payments (think peanut butter).  Ripple stumbled on cross border streamed payments  and realised that it was simply too huge and too distracting to create inhouse, so the CTO was encouraged to leave Ripple and start Coil.  

This amount of money is not going to be supplied in suitcases, it is going to be invested in a structured plan.  Nobody on this forum knows any details of that structured plan, all we know is that it will exist.  We have to wait and watch.

Edited by Julian_Williams

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

You are quite right; no one is going to pay $7 a month to remove the sponsored adds from their Google searches.  You are wrong to suggest that Coil's business plan is dependent upon removing sponsored ads from search engines.  Where did that idea come from?

You are missing the elephant in the room:  Coil is about providing a direct connection between supplier and another user in another country anywhere in the world.  The connection is a conduit through which streamed money with a throttle control flows from the user to the supplier.  Forget about Google, forget about adverts,  and concentrate on the essence of what Coil have invented.  Then you will see it is a revolution not an alternative to advertising.

So many people suggesting Ripple have bunged their ex CTO with three times the amount of money they spent on Moneygram as some sort of favour to an old colleague.  Look what happened; Stefan Thomas resigned his position at Ripple to set up a new company to provide the software for micropayments using XRP innovations and the ILP.  I am guessing, but I believe it was a joint decision in the board room of Ripple to set up a separate company for micro payments (think peanut butter).  Ripple stumbled on cross border streamed payments  and realised that it was simply too huge and too distracting to create inhouse, so the CTO was encouraged to leave Ripple and start Coil.  

This amount of money is not going to be supplied in suitcases, it is going to be invested in a structured plan.  Nobody on this forum knows any details of that structured plan, all we know is that it will exist.  We have to wait and watch.

Coil directly mentioned this on their about page: https://coil.com/about/

Coil exists because content monetization doesn’t work for everyone, and we think it should. Our model offers an alternative to the status quo of paid advertisements and selling the public’s attention to the highest bidders – A solution that will serve the people who aren’t being served well today.

Their about page literally states their model is to provide an alternate of paid advertisements and selling the public attention to the highest bidders.  In order for them to achieve this, they need to integrate and/or create online spaces that do not utilize advertisement and sponsored ads. This puts them in direct competition with companies that generate revenue from providing paid advertisements and sponsored ads (like Google).  Unless they can find a strategic method to integrate with these big players, which I have not seen any evidence of this yet.

I agree there are a lot of opportunities for the elephant in the room.  The concerns come from how Coil currently defines their business model and Ripple/Coil having a lack of business plan shared to stakeholders on how to achieve the elephant in the room.  There are high risks with never achieving these ambitious goals.  They are depending on figuring this out as they move forward, which they are going to run into a lot of costly and tough lessons learned.

Edited by wogojump

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, wogojump said:

Their about page literally states their model is to provide an alternate of paid advertisements and selling the public attention to the highest bidders.  In order for them to achieve this, they need to integrate and/or create online spaces that do not utilize advertisement and sponsored ads. This puts them in direct competition with companies that generate revenue from providing paid advertisements and sponsored ads (like Google).  Unless they can find a strategic method to integrate with these big players, which I have not seen any evidence of this yet.

I agree there are a lot of opportunities for the elephant in the room.  The concerns come from how Coil currently defines their business model and Ripple/Coil having a lack of business plan shared to stakeholders on how to achieve the elephant in the room.  There are high risks with never achieving these ambitious goals.  They are depending on figuring this out as they move forward, which they are going to run into a lot of costly and tough lessons learned.

"Unless they can find a strategic method to integrate with these big players, which I have not seen any evidence of this yet."

'They are depending on figuring this out as they move forward, which they are going to run into a lot of costly and tough lessons learned.'

Us (or anyone) not yet knowing this information does not mean that your assumptions are accurate. We have no idea who they are currently working with or what they have planned. But I think most would agree that Ripple has acted strategically since their inception; we've watched it all unfold this far. 

Edited by XRPboi

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, wogojump said:

yes exactly right - that is why Stefan is the ideal person to steer this through.  His method, as demonstrated during his years at Ripple, is to build software that has a lot of plasticity so that they do not get trapped in a hole of their own making.  I do not take this first iteration of usage seriously.  It is a proof of concept stuff.  Get this working and then invite the elephants into the room for the party.

Edited by Julian_Williams

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, XRPboi said:

Us (or anyone) not yet knowing this information does not mean that your assumptions are accurate. We have no idea who they are currently working with or what they have planned. But I think most would agree that Ripple has acted strategically since their inception; we've watched it all unfold this far. 

and how exactly has it unfolded ? Banks are not adopting xrapid like Ripple thought they would, and Coil looks broken already.

Codius looks like it's been laid to rest. RIP.

How's Bob's book coming along ?

Edited by Freaky

9 hours ago, WuWei said:

I for one, would love for Coil to engage with all the print, news, and journal media that now tracks your viewing of articles and limits it to only one or two articles per month. If, for example, they got a significant number of the major publishers on board, then a Coil subscription would be worth it to selectively read a story or an article that interests me, without having to have a subscription to any one specific journal/paper/magazine.  The same could be said for books or movies, whereby if I started one and then found it not to be of interest to me, then I wouldn't be out for the entire price, but for only the portion that I  had "consumed". It's going to take some time, but this, imho, is where the future is heading.

Agreed. 

11 hours ago, WuWei said:

I would also pay for this. Imagine renting a movie on Youtube or whatever and getting bored 15 mins in and only paying for that 15 mins. Or at the same at the movie theatre. There are so many things that this could apply to and have obvious appeal. I really hope it gets going. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49432817

Well I guess there's one big name we can cross off our streaming music content monetization candidate list.

"Taylor Swift has said she intends to record new versions of her hit songs after her back catalogue was bought by pop manager Scooter Braun." (Bold added). I don't know anything about him except that he's involved with Xpring and that I suppose she's not going to be making any new records for him soon ...