Posted (edited)

Not a big fan of the Coil initiative so far based on what I have read:

1. Personally, I will avoid paying monthly subscription fees to view online content. I will also avoid paying for premium content.  I prefer the current ad structures that exists, like with Google.
  2. I have not seen any concrete market research, business plans, or whitepapers on future plans for Coil. There are a lot of potential opportunities listed, but have only read vague goals.
  3. Providing ~$265 million funding upfront for this initiative at this time is way too much.  It would have been in better interest of the XRP community to fund a smaller amount for the first year or two.  Then after the pilot phase, review additional funding.  This is going to impact XRP prices short term and other funding opportunities.

Imagine looking for funding via another investor like on Shark Tank... Coil has a few thousand subscribers, been in business for a few years, no concrete business plan to achieve future goals, asking for a quarter of a billion dollars to compete against advertising giants like Google. That would be a hard no.

Hopefully Ripple has done their research and has strong evidence to back up this investment.

Edited by wogojump

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wogojump said:

Providing ~$265 million funding upfront for this initiative at this time is way too much.  It would have been in better interest of the XRP community, to fund a smaller amount for the first year or two.  Then after the pilot phase, review additional funding.  This is going to impact XRP prices short term and other funding opportunities.

I think I agree with your point 3.  I’m generally supportive of Ripples’ moves because they have more smarts,  and more information,  than me.  So generally I feel it’s silly for me to carp on their moves.

But this does feel disproportionate as it stands.

Possibly Coil will reveal an incentive program that will make the amounts involved seem more sensible,  but until then it certainly feels a bit over the top.

Edited by Tinyaccount

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, wogojump said:

1. Personally, I will avoid paying monthly subscription fees to view online content. I will also avoid paying for premium content.  I prefer the current ad structures that exists, like with Google.
  2. I have not seen any concrete market research, business plans, or whitepapers on future plans for Coil. There are a lot of potential opportunities listed, but have only read vague goals.
  3. Providing ~$265 million funding upfront for this initiative at this time is way too much.  It would have been in better interest of the XRP community to fund a smaller amount for the first year or two.  Then after the pilot phase, review additional funding.  This is going to impact XRP prices short term and other funding opportunities.

Imagine looking for funding via another investor like on Shark Tank... Coil has a few thousand subscribers, been in business for a few years, no concrete business plan to achieve future goals, asking for a quarter of a billion dollars to compete against advertising giants like Google. That would be a hard no.

Hopefully Ripple has done their research and has strong evidence to back up this investment.

Very fishy indeed. Ripple giving former employees $300M for ¿Coil? Let's think they have big plans because right now it is not impressive at all. 

Edited by AlvaroXRP

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, AlvaroXRP said:

Very fishy indeed. Ripple giving former employees $300M for ¿Coil? Let's think they have big plans because right now it is not impressive at all. 

I wasn't previously aware of Coil having former Ripple employees.  When I first heard about the deal, I just assumed that was the type of deal you get for personally knowing someone.

Ripple needs to make sure they are making decisions in the best interest of the XRP community and not just their personal friends. Otherwise when things don't go as planned, they are going to get a ton of backlash from the community.

Edited by wogojump

31 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

I think I agree with your point 3.  I’m generally supportive of Ripples’ moves because they have more smarts,  and more information,  than me.  So generally I feel it’s silly for me to carp on their moves.

But this does feel disproportionate as it stands.

Possibly Coil will reveal an incentive program that will make the amounts involved seem more sensible,  but until then it certainly feels a bit over the top.

They gave away the 1B XRP at a low price day. My guess is Ripple ran the numbers, decided content monetization could be 1/60 of the XRP use case, and gave it to Coil on the cheapest day they possibly could from a tax perspective.

My concern is sort of that streaming payments may only be 10% of the IOV pie, but they're 100% of Coil's strategy.

Thinking about the Coil/Netflix example... Netflix will always want their $11.99 a month (not $0.0035 a second) because access to their content is very valuable to them. Most of what they're selling is the expectation that they'll release something you want to watch, or that you'll find something to watch when you're bored, not just the watching of the thing itself. Coil could come to them with 2M users and Netflix still wouldn't bat an eye. They want the full price monthly.

But if there's a third-party  willing to pay Netflix $11.99 on my behalf in exchange for something of value from me (a browser tracker, personal information they can sell, a list of my active phone apps), there are plenty of people who would take advantage of that because "It's free Netflix!"

Netflix doesn't really care how they get the money and that's what makes ILP so appealing. Hopefully Coil sees that angle.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ADingoAteMyXRP said:

But if there's a third-party  willing to pay Netflix $11.99 on my behalf in exchange for something of value from me (a browser tracker, personal information they can sell, a list of my active phone apps), there are plenty of people who would take advantage of that because "It's free Netflix!"

Do people really exist that are silly enough to hand out personal info for free entertainment ? lol

I could not surf the net without running pi-hole on my network. Ad free internet, plus blocking any dodgy sites trying to collect statistics from me.

Best of all, it's free.

https://pi-hole.net/

Edited by Freaky

This is really an attempt to take market share away from Youtube. I hope it works, content creators need an alternative and there needs to be competition in the market. I still think the chance of success isn't that high though.

1 hour ago, wogojump said:

Hodor preemptively out-argued what you have to say here. Sorry, chap, but you're on the wrong side of history. 

Also, stop taking cues about the business world from Shark Tank. Like, OMG. Really? 

31 minutes ago, Freaky said:

Do people really exist that are silly enough to hand out personal info for free entertainment ? lol

I could not surf the net without running pi-hole on my network. Ad free internet, plus blocking any dodgy sites trying to collect statistics from me.

Best of all, it's free.

https://pi-hole.net/

Oh, I'm not saying it's a positive outcome or a good idea. I'm saying it's inevitable. People love free stuff and Facebook is proof they don't care about parting ways with their personal data to get that stuff.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HenrySeldom said:

Hodor preemptively out-argued what you have to say here. Sorry, chap, but you're on the wrong side of history. 

Also, stop taking cues about the business world from Shark Tank. Like, OMG. Really? 

Which point did Hodor preemptively out-argue me? 

Number 1- Was my personal preference, so he preemptively out-argued my personal preference? That doesn't make sense.

Number 2- I noted a lack of market research, business plans, or whitepapers on future plans for Coil. I am not seeing how he provided or argued that this information exists for us to read.

Number 3- I am not seeing any comments on justifying valuation for initially funding ~$265 million.

Also, l noted Shark Tank as an example because most people are familiar with investors from that show. There are plenty of other resources and experts we could reference to.  Make sure to remember me in a few years, when I'm stuck using Google and you are using Coil.

Edited by wogojump

6 hours ago, MegaNerd said:

Im all in XRP and believe it will succeed, but i've been in many investments where there is always someone who writes up articles explaining why 'said investment' is such a win, only for the investment to ultimately fail. It will be interesting to see what happens with our XRP investment over the next several years and whether or not all of these articles are actually substantiated or end up being all for nothing.

Good Lord, don't make an investment based solely off of my articles.  As I've said (incessantly), I'm not a professional financial planner or trader.  (I'm a Java dev by trade.)

My advice to anybody thinking of investing in crypto is to always "do your own research," which is why I always share my sources one way or another, so people can read the original information and facts and see if they come to the same conclusion I did. 

3 hours ago, Freaky said:

There is so much free quality content on the internet, why anyone would pay for it is beyond me.

That's your choice; but assuming that everybody else feels the same way is simply not true.  

The following sites all run subscription services - very profitable ones, too:

• Hulu
  • Netflix
  • Amazon
  • Google
  • HBO

1 hour ago, KarmaCoverage said:

Business model innovation is the most dangerous kind of innovation for incumbents to weather. 

Yes! 

The incumbents in this space ... they would include YouTube.  YouTube right now seems ultra-confident, but their recent demonetization push has left them vulnerable. 

I can see Coil creating a massive audience in a fairly compact time frame if they really want to; my gut feeling is that they are first putting the tools necessary for scaling in place.  Perhaps the massive infusion of capital by Ripple is an indicator that they're almost ready to switch on full-scale marketing. 

I'd like to see Coil book some very top-level talent, and to do that, they need incentives.  I'm talking about 'entertainment' Twitter accounts in addition to new artists.  And it would be great if some of the new artists on Coil and Cinnamon 'made it big' too!  I think (my opinion) Ripple + Coil saw this opportunity very early on two years ago.