Sign in to follow this  
Debasish

Difference between data.ripple.com vs s2.ripple.com Apis

1. Can we rely on data.ripple.com for accurate data related to payments , transactions rather then s2.ripple.com ?

2. What are the major pros and cons of using data.ripple.com over s2.ripple.com or viceversa ?

3 hours ago, Debasish said:

1. Can we rely on data.ripple.com for accurate data related to payments , transactions rather then s2.ripple.com ?

2. What are the major pros and cons of using data.ripple.com over s2.ripple.com or viceversa ?

1 - I use data.ripple.com/v2 to get payment data and it appears to be reliable. Some fields in requests seem to be ignored, but apart from that it's ok.

2 - I've never used s2.ripple.com. No comment.

Edited by jbjnr

Hi jbjnr,

Thanks for your quick response. 

I have some scenario  related to payments of ripple could you please help me out on that.

Suppose i have a address and i am trying to pull out all the transactions for that address till date , which are the transaction types i should consider to get the exact balance of that account.(I know there is a API which gives the balance ) but i just want to cross check if that is correct.

For now i am only considering Transaction type ="Payment" but there are other transaction types as well

Can you please help me on this.

There are tons of other transaction types that can interfere with your account balance (which one actually? XRP? Then EVERY valid transaction signed and submitted by you will change the balance since fees are deducted).

The data API is NOT reliable at all, if you implement some service on top of XRPL, I'd recommend implementing it against rippled (so the s1.ripple.com or s2.ripple.com cluster) and operating a server yourself as primary node to connect to (with some public ones as fallback).

https://xrpl.org/data-api.html

Legal Disclaimer: The Data API and the data it serves are provided "as is" and for informational purposes only. Ripple does not guarantee the availability or accuracy of the Data API or the data it provides. RIPPLE MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SUITABILITY, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OR CLAIM OF RIGHT OR ANY WARRANTIES OR OBLIGATIONS ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE, AND ALL SUCH REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES AND OBLIGATIONS ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. RIPPLE FURTHER DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT OPERATION OF THE DATA API THE DATA IT PROVIDES WILL BE ERROR FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED. You are prohibited from using the Data API or the data it provides, in whole or in part, as a consumer product or in any system considered critical infrastructure.

9 hours ago, Debasish said:

Suppose i have a address and i am trying to pull out all the transactions for that address till date , which are the transaction types i should consider to get the exact balance of that account.(I know there is a API which gives the balance ) but i just want to cross check if that is correct.

As Sukrim says - every transaction incurs a fee, even if a few drops, so the only way to track the balance is by having all the transactions since some known point - or to query the balance directly.

As regards the data.ripple.com API - I've not had any problems with it, but the disclaimer above makes it clear that it shouldn't be trusted for anything critical. (I will probably give the s2 server a try - just to compare datasets to see if I have any spurious results from the data.ripple server. I doubt there's any problem, but it's worth checking).

Usually the Data API is fine and good and can give you a lot of stuff pretty conveniently. Once in a while something goes wrong with the importer, or the database, or something, and it can fall behind, or even give wrong results (generally the "wrong" results are just for derived stuff like volume estimates, exchange rates between currencies, etc.).

s2 goes directly to full-history rippled servers, which are the absolute backbone of the XRP Ledger. They'll always give you the correct data. (But they may be a pain in the rear end to work with. As someone who has some ideas about the rippled API, I'm probably more acquainted than most with the annoyances than most.