King34Maine

Ripple's Xpring Makes 1 Billion XRP Grant to Drive XRP Adoption and Advance Coil's Monetized Platform for Creators

7 hours ago, Scout said:

I'm a fan of XRP, but i don't see the purpose of coil. Couldn't even bring myself to using it for my own domain. Such a grim future, there has to be a better use case for this product that I don't know about. Just can't see this service taking off.

I'm sure that a large part of frequent web users not only would like to pay for content but even would love to block ads for a fee.
Suggest you to install the Brave browser and compare your surfing "ad-free" with what you're used to. I can tell you: you'll LOVE it!

I also think there's some need for paid news subscription "per article". When I now wanna read just one specific NYT article, I've to pay a full subscription. With paid content per view, newspapers can have a new line of income.... Must have some appeal... for both the writer AND the reader....

37 minutes ago, lll_lll said:

Well, you do have a direct quote there and I cannot remember where I read about XRP only being given to further adoption...

Xspring does select projects with XRP embedded in their use-cases to help further XRP adoption.  But it is still funding growth - which ultimately requires cash.

11 hours ago, Scout said:

I'm a fan of XRP, but i don't see the purpose of coil. Couldn't even bring myself to using it for my own domain. Such a grim future, there has to be a better use case for this product that I don't know about. Just can't see this service taking off.

While Coil may fail as a business, the company could still help Ripple in another way. Coil's usage of XRP might help Ripple in regards to its stance of XRP not being a security. Maybe that is one of its purposes to begin with? I wouldn't be surprised if such ideas have come up in "hush, hush" board meetings at Ripple HQ. ;-)

11 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

I don’t think that is quite correct.  Ripple aren’t doing this...  they are subbing the work out.  :)   

So I don’t think the Peanut Butter applies...  it’s not Ripple losing focus..  they are still doing exactly what they planned.  They are just funding others to allow multiple shoots to grow so that there is not just the one tree,  but many sprouting simultaneously.

Nothing detracting from Ripples strength and focus...  just funding others which will grow the overall ecosystem.

very well articulated, @Tinyaccount  Agree completely!

15 hours ago, Babelly said:

I simply will never pay to see "content" or avoid ads.  Maybe that's just me, but i will never pay to browse the web.  Long XRP, but i don't see this taking off.

New generations will do that automatically. But not me. I know it’s wrong but I see internet as a free place. I will never pay for anything. 

10 minutes ago, MarioFle said:

New generations will do that automatically. But not me. I know it’s wrong but I see internet as a free place. I will never pay for anything. 

Yes... There's certainly a problem with the last generation or two thinking that everything is "free" (or ought to be) - even though their idea of "free" is incredibly costly.

No one will ever pay for water too right? Water is ‘free’ from the faucet. This bottle water thing will never catch on said the super confident self proclaimed business know it alls in the 90s. How did those type of statements age?

Maybe, just maybe, people will pay for content on the internet. 

Coil website is just too slow to host paid contents. They have to fix this issue first of all. Then, maybe, people will be more prone to use their wallets

Edited by Dario_o

I see this a positive development. With this Coil can partner with content providers.  Even Books can be charged based on the pages read.  I think we'll hear about a lot of partnerships coming in the next year from Coil. 

On 8/15/2019 at 10:42 AM, lucky said:

yes you will

Don't see what you're trying to say with your comment. I don't mind seeing the ads. There's not really any content that I am willing to pay for online. If everything starts getting monetized then I'll just start cutting out that content. Coil has a nice business proposition and it "makes sense" but its not going to work for a lot of people.

They're pitching it from the business point of view where of course content creators would like to get paid by people who are viewing their content but is it easier to get the revenue directly from viewers pockets or is it easier to get the revenue indirectly by charging companies to show ads on your content. (We'll see)

On 8/16/2019 at 12:52 AM, MarioFle said:

Good point. I think a downside though if that all content is "pay to use" then it will cut down on the amount of content that people consume and the reach that content creators get. There are definitely downsides. 

For example, I have unlimited internet data so I enjoy consuming huge amounts of data, some unimportant things, some important things. But I don't care its unlimited. If my data becomes limited then I will be a lot more selective about things I consume and don't.