King34Maine

Ripple's Xpring Makes 1 Billion XRP Grant to Drive XRP Adoption and Advance Coil's Monetized Platform for Creators

4 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

You are just too much focussed on a higher price tomorrow. Ripple is focussed on a self-sustaining and wide eco-system years and decades from now.

in focused on 3-5 years like Brad said in 2017.  Were now approaching 2020 and we don't have "dozens of banks" using XRP, we have Exrim bank or however you spell it.

Don't care for paying content creators. 

14 minutes ago, Babelly said:

in focused on 3-5 years like Brad said in 2017.  Were now approaching 2020 and we don't have "dozens of banks" using XRP, we have Exrim bank or however you spell it.

Don't care for paying content creators. 

We're in the third year and the first signs of Xrapid emerge with MG. Asheesh Birla tweeted on august 5 that they we're working around the clock implementing XRapid at multiple partners simultaneously

Brad spoke about multiple banks on Xrapid at the end of 2019, we're in the 3rd quarter of that 2019. He also mentioned he expected regulations to act faster than they did in 2018, bringing a delay to the process. A delay is not a failure, it's a revision of planning.

2 hours ago, Scout said:

I'm a fan of XRP, but i don't see the purpose of coil. Couldn't even bring myself to using it for my own domain. Such a grim future, there has to be a better use case for this product that I don't know about. Just can't see this service taking off.

I'm in the same boat. XRP will be the biggest winner out of the current asset space... but I'm worried they just threw away a billion XRP.

Coil's business model is simply broken right now.

Anyone could have built a nearly identical business without XRP or ILP, so they aren't taking advantage of the underlying tech. A $5 a month subscription to Cinnamon is not going to incite anyone to sign up.

Coil has no coherent content strategy. They're trying to build a network by paying content creators bonuses, but if no one finds that content valuable then no one's going to shell out the money to view it.

ILP permits the full decentralization of businesses into more efficient units. It's groundbreaking, and they're out there competing with Hulu for some reason.

Honestly, they should be helping ad companies or existing content sites build ILP connections into their ecosystem, giving users an alternative option of paying for content (instead of ads / paywalls). Getting a few companies on board -- even smaller ones, or newspapers/online magazines -- would be massively more impactful than funding a video site that's probably not going to succeed.

Coil is trying to be a content company right now, which is a losing game (even for the people who are winning at it). This is not what they do best or why they exist.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Babelly said:

your examples are 100% accurate as i can see both sides of the coin. I just prefer them being a "payment" company focused on banks and solving the N/V problem. While we have made substantial progress with Ripplenet, we barley have an xrapid volume.

Now were branching off into Web  Monetization and even music platforms (scooter braun).  Maybe this change of direction is due to regulation dragging its leg, however I cant help but think the Peanut Butter Manifesto when I see Ripple branching out to all these areas.

Hopefully all this will contribute to the IOV, but I rather focus on Cross Border Payments first.

Ripple is/has been squarely focused on its "raison d'etre" (i.e. payments/banking/finance) for the past +7 years. They have pioneered the most advanced blockchain/DLT/Crypto technology for the banking/corporate industry more than any other fintech on the planet. Ripple is a household name when it comes to their specific clientele. However, as with any growing company there comes a point in which you have to begin laying the foundation for continued growth and maturation, hence Ripple's xPring initiative. This separate entity was formed to build on XRP-Ledger/XRP ecosystem in other promising, nascent, and potentially high growth areas for blockchain/DLT/Crpto, while Ripple remained focused on its intended purpose of recreating a new and modern global financial infrastructure scheme. Let's not forget that Amazon, when it was launched, started out as an online bookstore, now look at the company today. What if they Bezos never cared or dared to expand and build the Amazon empire to accommodate changes in ebb and flow of economic/business trends? 

What Brad's Peanut Butter Manifesto alluded to was the uncoordinated utilization and disbursement of resources to random unsubstantiated ventures/acquisitions that ultimately led to the Yahoo's downfall. xPring has been extremely methodical and calculating about not only helping to build a thriving ecosystem around the XRP-Ledger/XRP, but the entire blockchain/crypto ecosystem as a whole. While we have heard many within the XRP community continuous bitching about xPring's investments into platforms that may not directly utilize XRP or the XRP-Ledger, need I remind you that Ripple nor XRP are going to be the only blockchain company/crypto asset within this blockchain revolution taking place. Ripple understands that if this blockchain technology is to go mainstream, in a significant way, it will take a holistic approach from every participant to build the ecosystem as a whole even if that means investing in other platforms that are not directly tied to its respective use case or benefit. 

Need I remind you that this is the very premise behind the development of the Interledger Protocol (ILP) by Stefan Thomas and Ethan Schwartz. ILP levels the playing field and creates competition among the different blockchain platforms/cryptocurrencies and legacy payment systems so that each will have to stand on their own technology. This altruistic act underscores the principled character of the leadership behind Ripple and their dedication to seeing the growth and evolution of the Internet-of-Value (IoV). They could very well have patented ILP’s technology charging a fee to all other platforms and make a fortune in the process. However, folks at Ripple knew the influence of the Internet came from the fact that it served as a gateway to connect everyone. The Internet accomplished this feat because it is not a single network or system but a network of networks with information being sent across multiple platforms using open-source proprieties.  This allows communication across the Internet to be seamless irrespective of what provider people are associated with. Ripple understood the same way the open-source TCP/IP protocol gave rise to the greatest economic stimulus/engine the world has ever known via the Internet, the same principles needed to be applied to ILP in order to see their vision for the IoV to come to fruition.  

Edited by King34Maine

1 hour ago, Caracappa said:

To me this also sounds like Ripple is doing everything to lower the percentage XRP ownership and just OTC sales is not fast enough.

I guess that could be a possibility. However, they still have about 56-billion or so left in their coffers (Ripple + Escrow). It they were that concern about their holdings, I would've expected to see them do give aways similar to what Stellar has been doing of late. I think this is a power move by Coil reading to truly ramp up their partnerships and go-to-market strategy etc.

4 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

However it must be said that almost all of my life TV (we didn’t get one at home till I was a teen) was free to air.  After about 45 years of free tv I never thought I would pay for content and yet now I happily pay my Netflix subscription.

Too funny!

Same argument here.

I ain’t paying for no cable TV! I sure as a heck ain’t buying no movie channel stuff! Heck no I ain’t spending more money just so we can all have better access to the dang Internet.

And so...after I got done making myself perfectly clear, I signed up for like a bazillion channels, Netflix and the 1G fiber optic connection. Pretty sweet!!

Some who are critical of Ripple have valid concerns.  Ripple has an aggressive 'fund the ecosystem' strategy which may help things play out well long term.  However, it creates a lot of selling pressure short term.  They recently announced they would reduce income generated by programmatic sales of XRP.  But then they give 1 billion XRP to Coil who will need to sell XRP to fund operations along with the other Xpring funded startups and the Universities + (Jed).  Again this can all be positive long-term, but is there XRP demand short term to support it? Even the Moneygram deal involved a 50 mil. investment.

Institutional demand is required.  Insert big announcement here...

12 minutes ago, PG1 said:

1 billion XRP to Coil who will need to sell XRP to fund operations

Xpring gives out XRP to be used to build he ecosystem. The receivers cannot sell XRP directly in the market. It is used to encourage the market participants to use the asset. 

29 minutes ago, lll_lll said:

Xpring gives out XRP to be used to build he ecosystem. The receivers cannot sell XRP directly in the market. It is used to encourage the market participants to use the asset. 

Really?  

I've seen otherwise in the past:  https://fortune.com/2019/03/12/ripple-forte-blockchain-games/

According to Beard, Ripple’s Xpring will distribute the grants to game developers in the form of XRP, though he acknowledged most recipients will likely convert them to U.S. dollars given that services like AWS only accept fiat currency.

11 minutes ago, PG1 said:

Really?  

Well, you do have a direct quote there and I cannot remember where I read about XRP only being given to further adoption...