Jump to content

Charting the course of XRP


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, banistersmind said:

I'm reading more and more of this guy on Twitter and he seems to know what he is talking about. He's posted a fascinating thread on an important piece of minutiae that caught my eye.

 

 

 

That thread actually makes me think that Ripple's position is stronger. He notes that even Americans selling xrp are not exempt, so this means that the SEC should be prosecuting the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of Americans who have ever sold XRP at any time in the last 8 years. That is obviously not going to happen. Of all the crazy and ridiculous things that can happen, this is not one of them. I am confident in saying that. That means at some point the SEC either says everyone except Ripple is exempt, or XRP is not a security. 'XRP is a security and we intend to prosecute every American who has ever sold xrp ever' is not on the table.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was participating undercover :).  The trolls became too overwhelming while XRP was in the dumps, I figure its safe to come out again.

There are actually several lawyers in the crypto space who have analysed the case extremely closely explaining how the case will likely play out. Given that these lawyers are either BTC or ETH maxis a

These threads are being derailed by childish banter, could you please keep things on topic and move your chit chat elsewhere. The forum is becoming less interesting for many of us.

50 minutes ago, Seoulite said:

That thread actually makes me think that Ripple's position is stronger. He notes that even Americans selling xrp are not exempt, so this means that the SEC should be prosecuting the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of Americans who have ever sold XRP at any time in the last 8 years. That is obviously not going to happen. Of all the crazy and ridiculous things that can happen, this is not one of them. I am confident in saying that. That means at some point the SEC either says everyone except Ripple is exempt, or XRP is not a security. 'XRP is a security and we intend to prosecute every American who has ever sold xrp ever' is not on the table.

And what does it mean for foreigners like me, who have invested over the past 4 or more years? Is the SEC really trying to position themselves as saying they can go after anyone, anywhere in the world?? 

Someone needs to take a big stick to the SEC and tell them to sit the F*** down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seoulite said:

That thread actually makes me think that Ripple's position is stronger. He notes that even Americans selling xrp are not exempt, so this means that the SEC should be prosecuting the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of Americans who have ever sold XRP at any time in the last 8 years. That is obviously not going to happen. Of all the crazy and ridiculous things that can happen, this is not one of them. I am confident in saying that. That means at some point the SEC either says everyone except Ripple is exempt, or XRP is not a security. 'XRP is a security and we intend to prosecute every American who has ever sold xrp ever' is not on the table.

I swear is it just me or does Deaton look like Heisenberg in that twitter profile pic? At least when you’re just glancing at the thumbnail in your post. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Seoulite said:

That thread actually makes me think that Ripple's position is stronger. He notes that even Americans selling xrp are not exempt, so this means that the SEC should be prosecuting the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of Americans who have ever sold XRP at any time in the last 8 years. That is obviously not going to happen. Of all the crazy and ridiculous things that can happen, this is not one of them. I am confident in saying that. That means at some point the SEC either says everyone except Ripple is exempt, or XRP is not a security. 'XRP is a security and we intend to prosecute every American who has ever sold xrp ever' is not on the table.

I thought that this was dealt with earlier in the case, that the SEC were interested in only Ripple, Brad and Larsen? Would have to go back in the case thread to find that info, but it was discussed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WarChest said:

I thought that this was dealt with earlier in the case, that the SEC were interested in only Ripple, Brad and Larsen? Would have to go back in the case thread to find that info, but it was discussed.

I thought so too but John Deaton doesn't think so. And also the SEC would just say 'we've made no official announcements about that' just like they have never said that ETH and BTC are not securities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seoulite said:

I thought so too but John Deaton doesn't think so. And also the SEC would just say 'we've made no official announcements about that' just like they have never said that ETH and BTC are not securities.

https://www.crypto-law.us/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/210406_HearingTranscript_Apr6_2021_2pm_20Civ10832.pdf

THE COURT: Just a quick clarifying question. You distinguish the speech, Mr. Hinman's speech suggesting it was not a pronouncement but rather just a speech that referenced Bitcoin and so is it -- does the SEC take a position that as of a certain date its position was official as to Bitcoin and Ether?

MR. BLISS: So I want to make clear that this is my understanding of the current situation and I don't want to be overly technical but the SEC, itself, my understanding, it has not taken an official position. There is no action that it took to say Bitcoin is not a security, Ether is not a security.  Now, there was a speech by a high-ranking person who said that to him that's what it looked like but there has been no action letter, no enforcement action, none of the official ways in which the SEC takes a position on that matter that has occurred. What I understand defendants to be referencing is the speech by Mr. Hinman which is not an official statement of the Securities and Exchange Commission itself.

THE COURT: Okay. Thank you. I appreciate that clarity.

Edited by NightJanitor
Removed my personal commentary. I think the transcript (Page 50) speaks for itself.
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WarChest said:

Like all politicians, it’s the way they say nothing that means something, until it suits them to deny it meant anything.

Who got diabetes?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.