Charting the course of XRP

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was participating undercover :).  The trolls became too overwhelming while XRP was in the dumps, I figure its safe to come out again.

There are actually several lawyers in the crypto space who have analysed the case extremely closely explaining how the case will likely play out. Given that these lawyers are either BTC or ETH maxis a

These threads are being derailed by childish banter, could you please keep things on topic and move your chit chat elsewhere. The forum is becoming less interesting for many of us.

46 minutes ago, xrp-nuke said:

If you compare ecosystems than they did almost nothing.

But ecosystems aren't everything. This is like judging a sports team whose main focus is on defense solely by how many points they score.

Ripple made a choice to go after the big money to bring liquidity to their ecosystem before trying to develop it extensively. At the time they had to make a choice, they could either work on developing their ecosystem from the grass-roots up, or they could work on building the regulatory compliance and business relationships to draw in the big players. They chose the latter and FINCEN forced them to shut down the RippleTrade wallet and basically kill off the tiny ecosystem that had built up.

I'm not saying they made the right choice, just that they haven't done nothing. They knew the path they chose would take a while before it bore results, but I don't think they thought it would take this long. I see why Ripple made the choices they did. They tried to make peer-to-peer and peer-to-small-business payments a thing. They were too early. I think if they had launched in 2018 instead of 2013, things would have played out differently. If they had launched at the beginning of the DeFi movement they could have built auto-bridges to their DEX and become the number one DeFi exchange. Unfortunately, when they launched, no one wanted to use them as an exchange.

In the big picture, I think it's too early to say whether or not Ripple made the right call. You have to wait and see if they succeed or fail a at disrupting international payments. If they get 10% of the SWIFT market, they'll be a huge success and no one will complain about these years.

I bought most of my bag in 2014 because I thought Ripple could change the world of payments. Because of that I'm happy to wait and see if they actually do that, but I don't expect it to happen soon. But to someone investing now, there's so much going on in crypto. I would say to put your money in something that's making waves now, get your profits, and you can always consider XRP if it looks like it starts to go somewhere.

31 minutes ago, brianwalden said:

But ecosystems aren't everything. This is like judging a sports team whose main focus is on defense solely by how many points they score.

Ripple made a choice to go after the big money to bring liquidity to their ecosystem before trying to develop it extensively. At the time they had to make a choice, they could either work on developing their ecosystem from the grass-roots up, or they could work on building the regulatory compliance and business relationships to draw in the big players. They chose the latter and FINCEN forced them to shut down the RippleTrade wallet and basically kill off the tiny ecosystem that had built up.

I'm not saying they made the right choice, just that they haven't done nothing. They knew the path they chose would take a while before it bore results, but I don't think they thought it would take this long. I see why Ripple made the choices they did. They tried to make peer-to-peer and peer-to-small-business payments a thing. They were too early. I think if they had launched in 2018 instead of 2013, things would have played out differently. If they had launched at the beginning of the DeFi movement they could have built auto-bridges to their DEX and become the number one DeFi exchange. Unfortunately, when they launched, no one wanted to use them as an exchange.

In the big picture, I think it's too early to say whether or not Ripple made the right call. You have to wait and see if they succeed or fail a at disrupting international payments. If they get 10% of the SWIFT market, they'll be a huge success and no one will complain about these years.

I bought most of my bag in 2014 because I thought Ripple could change the world of payments. Because of that I'm happy to wait and see if they actually do that, but I don't expect it to happen soon. But to someone investing now, there's so much going on in crypto. I would say to put your money in something that's making waves now, get your profits, and you can always consider XRP if it looks like it starts to go somewhere.

Well, I still remember how mission of xPring was change from growing XRP ecosystem, to growing blockchain ecosystem.  

Said that, they had time and resources to put into DEX and Smart Contracts. They did not, meanwhile others did. This is sad.

Though DEX is still where they can catch-up.

1 minute ago, xrp-nuke said:

Well, I still remember how mission of xPring was change from growing XRP ecosystem, to growing blockchain ecosystem.  

Said that, they had time and resources to put into DEX and Smart Contracts. They did not, meanwhile others did. This is sad.

Though DEX is still where they can catch-up.

They intentionally moved away from Smart Contracts to focus on payments. I'm personally onboard with that choice. I agree that DEX and issuance of stable coins was a significant missed opportunity. I don't know how much of that has been a symptom of the FUD around XRPL. It's interesting because as soon as actual transactions on BTC and ETH kick up a notch, they slow to a drag and most people move their transactions through IOUs on the ledger :) 

There's also a consistent ~$500M USD worth of payments and around ~$750M to 1B USD worth of transaction volume that transacts on the XRPL on a slow day. 

Ref: XRP Charts

Keeping aside XRPL for a second, I firmly believe that we're going to see the equivalent of the IP stack for the blockchain ecosystem. This is not close to accurate, but hopefully it's illustrative of how I think about this.

1. Apps (Wallets, Games, Applications, Loans, individual Banking accounts, NFTs, etc.)
  2. Application Infrastructure (DeFi, Custody, Estate Planning, Asset Tokenization, Identity Services)
  3. Public Ledgers specializing in Smart Contracts (Ethereum, Flare, Cardano, etc.)
  4. Public Ledgers specializing in Payments (Stellar, XRPL, etc.)
  5. Private Ledgers (some specializing in Payments and some in Smart Contracts). Centralized Finance layer. CBDCs, IMF Loans, Monetary Policies etc.