Charting the course of XRP

@LArlp I think you are better of asking these questions to someone from Ripple directly. I am pretty sure that they are happy to answer a lot of your questions and could help you out with some data. (not that someone here couldn't answer your questions, but I think Ripple as the source is better than some online group)

Edited by Triceratops

7 minutes ago, Triceratops said:

@LArlp I think you are better of asking these questions to someone from Ripple directly. I am pretty sure that they are happy to answer a lot of your questions and could help you out with some data. (not that someone here couldn't answer your questions, but I think Ripple as the source is better than some online group)

Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried different ways to reach out Ripple, sending them requests on Ripple.com which basically doesnt work, as they accept only request for sales and press, tried reach out to different people work at Ripple on linkedin - no responses too. While my time till the submission is short.. that's why I am trying to reach out the community, in case if anyone has the data.. 

10 minutes ago, LArlp said:

Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried different ways to reach out Ripple, sending them requests on Ripple.com which basically doesnt work, as they accept only request for sales and press, tried reach out to different people work at Ripple on linkedin - no responses too. While my time till the submission is short.. that's why I am trying to reach out the community, in case if anyone has the data.. 

Fully agree with @Triceratops.  This is a speculation thread.

Ripple is a private organization and any data you posted here is what the Community has gathered based on our understanding of the mechanics of ODL. Given your academic interest, Ripple may be open to supporting you. Find Matt Hamilton (Twitter handle @hammertoe and may still be on these forums) and see if he can help or point to someone who can.

The tools available track ODL this way - a Fiat A -> Exchange X -> Ledger -> Exchange Y -> Fiat B transfer where both fiat ramps have the same memo and the settlement is done within 5 seconds. IIRC we did validate the mechanics themselves a few years ago, but the ODL traffic you see does not capture the picture fully.

For example, if a Liquidity Provider (say an Exchange) has highly liquid corridors for both EUR and USD, there is no ODL recorded and the tools don't capture that. However, they are still legitimate RippleNet transactions.

Some other tools you can use -

• https://threexrp.dev (you'll need an XRP account and Xumm)
  • https://xrplorer.com, which tracks payments to a certain extent and also works to identify money laundering organizations etc.
  • The ENTIRE ledger is available as a Google BigQuery Dataset (xrpledgerdata.fullhistory.transactions) so you can build custom solutions or tease out ODL data yourself if you have the expertise. See https://github.com/WietseWind/fetch-xrpl-transactions for some tools. The graphs and charts you've seen in my post have been built on top of this data.

Best of luck.

2 hours ago, LArlp said:

@JASCoder has done interesting analysis of odl mechanics

I would guess someone like crypto Eri or Leonidas would have informal contacts inside Ripple.

Edited by Julian_Williams

4 hours ago, LArlp said:

image.thumb.png.0cf70f43a68868c240e113949d9611c5.pngThanks for all suggestions, so I found the payment volume in USD on XRP chart, but it shows only the volume in the past 24h. Anyone know how to get more past data from here? https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/

Sorry mate but I think you are unlikely to get any of this right.  For instance the “payments data” you found is not what you think….    it’s XRP movement transactions.

That could include a large exchange moving XRP between hot and cold wallets.  It could include bag holders moving it on to exchanges to sell.  It could include large buyers taking it off exchanges to their cold wallets.  It could include retail trader movements.  It could include traders using the brilliant XRPL to quickly reposition across exchanges.  Some of it, or even the bulk of it (?) could be ODL.

ODL is very difficult to track, and a few people have tried with low success I think.

Unless the data comes from Ripple, or you gain a much deeper understanding of the XRPL,  I think you will be putting bad facts and figures into your thesis.

42 minutes ago, BillyOckham said:

Sorry mate but I think you are unlikely to get any of this right.  For instance the “payments data” you found is not what you think….    it’s XRP movement transactions.

That could include a large exchange moving XRP between hot and cold wallets.  It could include bag holders moving it on to exchanges to sell.  It could include large buyers taking it off exchanges to their cold wallets.  It could include retail trader movements.  It could include traders using the brilliant XRPL to quickly reposition across exchanges.  Some of it, or even the bulk of it (?) could be ODL.

ODL is very difficult to track, and a few people have tried with low success I think.

Unless the data comes from Ripple, or you gain a much deeper understanding of the XRPL,  I think you will be putting bad facts and figures into your thesis.

In Q3 report Ripple say 25% of Ripplenet transactions are now ODL.  I am not sure if estimates of total Ripplenet transactions are published anywhere 

18 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

In Q3 report Ripple say 25% of Ripplenet transactions are now ODL.  I am not sure if estimates of total Ripplenet transactions are published anywhere 

I believe them but that makes the ODL volume fairly big because the Ripplenet volume is fairly big by all accounts.