Charting the course of XRP

5 hours ago, JASCoder said:

Especially shortly after the incident,
whilst spending a year (voluntarily) in an Asylum... 

bedd36143d1316aa00acb03c4ccd4ea3-768x102

Extraordinary. Thank you for posting.

I've even said on many occassions that we'll know Ripple (and other crypto projects) have hit the big time when they are constantly dealing with dumb or even dangerous litigation. It just never stops when you grow up as a company.

This is Ripple in early puberty. Tweaking zits and flirting with danger. Just wait till they IPO! Ha!

6 hours ago, CryptoPitbull said:

How closely is Judge Torres following the case right now? Is she active behind the scenes or just gets briefed occasionally or not at all?

I suspect she will be following the matter very closely given the public engagement. But this pre-trial positioning isn't a good use of her time as a judge. That's why the courts typically delegate adminstrative and pre-trial matters to junior judges/magistrates/clerks.

21 hours ago, Pablo said:

There are actually several lawyers in the crypto space who have analysed the case extremely closely explaining how the case will likely play out. Given that these lawyers are either BTC or ETH maxis and are openly critical of Ripple, you can safely assume that they won't pull their punches.

Yet I was curious and even a little bit surprised when 2 of the leading figures in this group, Gabriel Shapiro and Stephen Palley had to drop the trolling and actually think through the issues carefully. When they were done discussing, they concluded, perhaps reluctantly, that XRP would likely remain only mildly affected at the conclusion of the matter, even if Ripple and the execs fail in their defence.

Here's the thread from earlier this year for the links to the interview by Laura Shin. She's another maxi, yet even she remained level-headed during this interview.

Also of interest is that the trolling went on pretty hard last year and in January but I've noticed it has eased off since. Perhaps that's a sign that the case isn't going to plan for the SEC or the maxis and that Ripple is managing to put up a bit of fight.

Another important factor to keep in mind that many have forgotten: the process we are watching now is NOT the hearing on the facts. It's only the pre-trial manouevering before a magistrate (Magistrate Netburn is not the trial judge, she simply helps Judge Torres prepare the case for hearing). I'm not saying they're not important steps - they're critical. But there cannot be any judgement until the case goes to hearing or the parties settle beforehand.

The way things are going, settlement still looks the likely outcome. And boy, are they going the long way about it. The case has been running for 6 months. No knock-out blows and John's amicus intervention gumming up the works (fun to watch, sure, but efficient?)

Why isn't Ripple settling immediately? Where's Gary Gensler to swoop in and save the day? Oh, of course: the boring reality of litigation got in the way.

@HenrySeldom - I'm still waiting for your promise of the Gensler magic and quick settlement. Did you mean "quick" as measured by my lawyer's watch? Because, yeah, this case is flying! :D

I made a call early on that Gensler couldn't just walk in and spike the case. Here's what I said back in March to explain why I thought so:

Meanwhile:

Has the SEC taken their foot off the gas with crypto prosecutions? Nope: https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2021-90

Is Gary Gensler the only one driving decision-making and policy at the SEC? Nope:  https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/sec-enforcement-chief-alex-oh-resigns-just-days-after-taking-job

If Gensler spikes the Ripple case, he'll be crucified. If the SEC loses, he'll be crucified. If he settles meekly, he'll be crucified. No, the safe bet for Gary Gensler is to let the litigation run its course on its merits and make sure the optics show the SEC fighting like a deranged wildcat all the way.

Now, he could use that as cover for a settlement but I suspect the settlement will need to have the appearance of being pretty tough on Ripple and the execs. Why? Because he needs the bloody, mangled heads of Brad Garlinghouse and Chris Larsen on spikes to show to Congress.

And if he can't get the whole head, an ear will probably do. Cutting off an ear could sate the bloodlust in Congress for crypto but it isn't life threatening.

It's not all bad. Van Gogh did some of his best work after losing one. ;)

Love your angle, which is quite unique and insightful, from the view of a professional inside the bubble of the crypto litigation industry.  Simply would not see it that way without you mentioning it.

I vacillate between taking your view and the views of outsiders like Hogan  and Deaton.  I think there is always a penalty to be paid from being an expert which is that you have seen it all before and expect things to go along tramlines.  It is why SEC lawyers have got into such a tangle, they could not imagine Deaton and the public support of Ripple.  This case has really helped Ripples public image inside crypto and probably inside business community (and I am no fan of BG).  I think it will have a slingshot effect after it is settled and has pushed Ripple name into mainstream thinking.

The other side is the mindset of outsiders, who are not burdened with presumption, which allows them to think creatively outside the bubble and put spikes in SEC's wheels in a way Ripple lawyers fail to see. 

I do think SEC are in deep trouble and the pressure is on them to escape this misjudged and seemingly malicious escapade.

On 6/3/2021 at 1:16 AM, xrphilosophy said:

On some previous posts- those who are getting personal with each other- maybe not so much?  The thread is interesting enough without low level personal drama. No one should be brought down by reading personal attacks.  If you're that bored please move on to another thread.  Also- seems like some folks hop into a TA thread to criticize TA?  That's always a head scratcher to me. I would never keep going to a restaurant I didn't like, and each time complain anew about my dislike for that restaurant to the other patrons.

Here's to a "flaring" hot summer?   

I react to this 3 days later because you banned me and i can's see the reason why because i don't have a problem with 
ANYONE, and vice versa! Now i made a JOKE and xrp nuke didn't mind or got mad about it but even laughed about it, so what's YOUR problem then? And then some other forum member said that people can think about xrp nuke what they want, but he does say the hard truth on a regulary basis, and i said that i know that but also that i can imagine that the mods are on his back to see that the sometimes heated discussions don't get out of hand, so i made another joke by placing that song called "i will follow him" because xrp nuke said that he had alot of followers. So now you know what the jokes i made mean and that it never was a personal attack, so next time be here every day or else just quit because you can't be a forum cop when you don't know the people who are on it on a regular basis and who does get along with who! Now i'm going to make a little poll to see if anyone has/had a problem with me and my jokes, and when not, then i expect you to bow down and apologise for your stuppid mistake, and when it turns out that the most votes are " yes" then i will leave this forum for good because i don't want to be on a forum with people and mods that can't tell the difference between a personal attack and a sense of humor!

I have a problem with retep's jokes  [  ] yes  [  ] no

i have a problem with the last joke retep made about xrp nuke.  [  ] yes  [  ] no

i can't tell if retep was getting personal or that it was meant as a joke  [  ] yes  [   ] no

i can tell from miles away that it was just a joke and not a personal attack  [  ] yes [  ] no

I think retep deserved that ban  [  ] yes   [  ] no

xrphilosophy was wrong and should apologise to retep  [  ] yes [  ] no

And here's a little gift from me to you xrphilosopy, because you sure need it!

51J73KAE8PL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

@retep you do understand that your poll is biased as a lot of people would love nuke me for good 🤣🤣🤣

I would suggest you just to take a breath, delete post and move on like nothing happened!

I see a lot of characters nowadays quit forum/TA/thread etc. and put this decision on other characters as a reason.

But real reason is the market and emotional attachment 🥺

I found relief in trading as well as exhaution 🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, xrphilosophy said:

Sigh. Carry on please...and good morning...

Yeah carry on so that everybody will forget asap how wrong you were. 

3 hours ago, retep said:

I have a problem with retep's jokes  [  ] yes  [x] no

i have a problem with the last joke retep made about xrp nuke.  [  ] yes  [x] no

i can't tell if retep was getting personal or that it was meant as a joke  [  ] yes  [x] no

i can tell from miles away that it was just a joke and not a personal attack  [  ] yes [x] no

I think retep deserved that ban  [  ] yes   [x] no

xrphilosophy was wrong and should apologise to retep  [x] yes [  ] no

And here's a little gift from me to you xrphilosopy, because you sure need it!

51J73KAE8PL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

2 hours ago, xrp-nuke said:

@retep you do understand that your poll is biased as a lot of people would love nuke me for good 🤣🤣🤣

I would suggest you just to take a breath, delete post and move on like nothing happened!

I see a lot of characters nowadays quit forum/TA/thread etc. and put this decision on other characters as a reason.

But real reason is the market and emotional attachment 🥺

I found relief in trading as well as exhaution 🤣🤣🤣

Well as you know i don't have a problem with you, and i'm sure that you know that my jokes are nothing but a black sense of humor, only this mod seems to have no sense of humor ( a german?) and doesn't read himself into the topics because then he could have know that i don't have a heated discussion or any problem going on with you or anyone else, so he sure made a mistake alright and just don't dare to admit that, but as usual that seperates the real men from the little boys, so what else is new? :smoke:

@ xrphilosophy
Suggesting that you are a german because you have no sense of humor is not a personal attack but just humor!  
How do you know that? Well it's simple, in reality the germans do have a sense of humor ( just don't mention the war)
so it's out of the question that you are a german then.  Whoops, that's another JOKE, so nothing PERSONAL! 
Now look in the book "humor for germans..euh....dummies" i linked you, it's all in there! :lol:

53 minutes ago, retep said:

Now back on topic. Is there any sec vs ripple news?  Why did xrp drop to this miserable 93ct? Did Elon Musk said anything stuppid about any crypto's last week? 

Well for the THIRD TIME in a row, the SEC refused to produce the documents that Judge Netburn asked them to. The ones about the BTC & ETH conversations. 

On 6/5/2021 at 5:51 PM, NightJanitor said:

All of this pop-psy / everyone's-a-behavioural-economist-on-the-internet / here-are-9-cognitive-biases-to-watch-out-for stuff is entertaining - and maybe useful, to some extent, for some people - but none of that beats actually just thinking - at least for me...

I like your answer, obviously, but I'm afraid "my thinking" is not sufficient in this case. I don't know the legal system in the US, I'm not a lawyer and in any case these trials tend to be highly unpredictable because the legal context is so fundamentally different and hardly understood even by the experts.

40 minutes ago, Neurotoxin said:

Well for the THIRD TIME in a row, the SEC refused to produce the documents that Judge Netburn asked them to. The ones about the BTC & ETH conversations. 

That is simply not true. They did not produce the documents and Ripple complained again, which really amounts to kids bickering. There may be many reasons why the SEC has not produced the documents yet. Them "refusing" is your own baseless interpretation of the current facts.

4 minutes ago, Troote said:

Them "refusing" is your own baseless interpretation of the current facts.

Perhaps that is based on the fact that they didn't produce one single document. I can understand that they have to make an inventory if what is relevant, mandatory, verifiable. But not producing a single document doesn't like like a collaborative approach.

They even don't explain their difficulty to produce such documents or what the status is of this research, while asking for an extension of the period.