Very reassuring to see all this quiet progress being made. Kudos to those tracking xRapid and reporting their intel to the rest of us. Kudos to those building Cinnamon and Equilibrium. I hope they succeed wildly and make bank.

It makes me very happy to see the progress being towards getting more stakeholders involved in the XRP ecosystem. Thanks as always for doing the investigative heavy lifting and good writing. You made my morning coffee taste better.

@Hodor excellent work as always, thank you.ย 

How have you been finding your experience on Coil?ย  Would you care to share if you have noted any changes in your viewership up or down since the move to their platform?ย  Are you starting to receive XRP in payment for your views?ย  Just curious to get a real world look at how some of our other use cases are coming along, understanding of course that they are still in early beta.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Molten said:

@Hodor excellent work as always, thank you.

Thanks for reading, @Molten, and thanks for the positive endorsement. ย 

ย  How have you been finding your experience on Coil?ย 

Excellent.ย 

Some of their features and integration flows are easy to use, and it looks like they've been making improvements as time goes along.ย  I have a feeling more than one developer has 'todo' items in the mix at all times for new features on the platform.ย 

Even though it's in Beta, it's a very resilient platform.ย 

Would you care to share if you have noted any changes in your viewership up or down since the move to their platform?

I don't have any number to share, or I would.ย  I know that on the XRP Community Blog, the readership was / is measured in the thousands when we publish a new blog.ย 

ย 

Are you starting to receive XRP in payment for your views?

Yes!ย  My membership in the Coil Booster Program has helped my own revenue accelerate ahead of others.ย  The Coil Booster Program has resulted in substantial payouts for me and other 'early' content creators.ย  More to claim on taxes next year!ย 
ย 

ย 

Thanks for asking me some of these questions - as you can tell, I'm very enthusiastic about Coil's web monetization and what it will mean for XRP and micropayments.ย ย  It's already started, and now Cinnamon is coming online as well, in addition to Imgur down the road.ย  Very exciting times!

@Hodor Great to hear and thank you for answering.ย  I think the idea of micropayments to avoid imbedded ads, paywalls, etc is a fantastic idea. I struggle a bit with Coil as a viable concept as it currently exists, not for content creators, but for consumers.ย  I think it will be a big leap to get people to willingly sign up and make recurring payments for a content site just to follow a blog or two that they like.ย  I wonder, and perhaps you have no clue about this, but would there be a way to eventually integrate outside content with Coil such that a person who pays a subscription will view external content without ads?ย 

For example, if I wanted to view my local newspapers website without the annoying ads, or view ESPN without ads... is there any conceivable way that Coil could get involved in that way?ย  I think it would be much easier to spur adoption if people knew that their subscription was buying them streamlined content from more than just the one site.

Anyway, just a thought.ย  Love hearing your perspectives, keep up the good work.

36 minutes ago, Molten said:

For example, if I wanted to view my local newspapers website without the annoying๏ปฟ๏ปฟ๏ปฟ๏ปฟ๏ปฟ ads, or view ESPN without ads... is there any conceivable way that Coil could get involved in that way๏ปฟ๏ปฟ?ย ๏ปฟ

I believe the answer is yes.

It's been a while since I looked at Coil under the hood, but I think they made a major technology shift towards a browser plugin (or maybe it was away from the plugin methodology, I should double check).

Anyway the design goals of Coil is to create a seamless experience for users and content providers. Content providers should be able to easily provide content with both a "coil: pay for play" revenue model and simultaneously an "advertising revenue model" for users who don't want to pay to play.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, KarmaCoverage said:

I believe the answer is yes.

It's been a while since I looked at Coil under the hood, but I think they made a major technology shift towards a browser plugin (or maybe it was away from the plugin methodology, I should double check).

Anyway the design goals of Coil is to create a seamless experience for users and content providers. Content providers should be able to easily provide content with both a "coil: pay for play" revenue model and simultaneously an "advertising revenue model" for users who don't want to pay to play.

Yes, exactly this.ย  A plugin or something along those lines to simply remove all the extraneous garbage that we see.ย  Kudos if it can somehow stop Google's creepy targeted advertising.

But yes, this I can see taking off big time if they can pull that off.

Edited by Molten

1 minute ago, Molten said:

ย Kudos if it can somehow stop Google's creepy targeted advertising.

There was a thread about the data flow through Coil, and privacy issues. I forget what the final thinking was, but I'd think some kind of VPN or ZKP methodology could provide appropriate privacy.ย 

Great blog as always and thanks for highlighting the ILP developments particularly the developments around on boarding. ย ย I wasn't at all aware of this. ย One thing I need clarity on though,ย you mention "There will be many people, very soon, that will be spending hours watching cat videos on Cinnamon." It sounds like we need the bulls back in a major way or else you plan to start making cat videos? ย Not knocking it as a business venture I just didn't see that one coming, haha. ย